Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
these works have been planned for some time, several businesses have complained as to why the municipality decided to do it peek season rather than in the winter when quieter...still will be better when its finished

wiz
I think its a shame to be honest. It's a rare piece of relatively unspoilt Cyprus in a touristy area, and it will become just another pavement. I suppose it will make it more negotiable at night, but I'd prefer it left as it is.

Richie
We were there when the works actually started and watched the ensuing argument between the owner of Safiros and the Local Authority - high drama!! The original intention was that the works would commence at the end of September when the majority of tourists had gone home - the very next day we were sat having breakfast when the lorries & exavators arrived - how world war three didn't start is anyone's guess (the Cypriots can't say anything with one word when a dozen will do) but it kept us all quite amused for a couple of hours. A little strip of grassed area outside the kiosk was removed - the next day the owner was planning how he would take it back when the works were finished. Have no idea why they have to do this - the route was perfectly OK as it was.
I'm not sure which route you mean as I've walked (many many times) from Pernera (going on to the beach near the Blue Spice and Polyxenia Isaak etc) and walking on the beach, the paths and sometimes climbing over the rocky bits (and sometimes having to back track and try another route to avoid a swim ! lol ) and eventually coming out into Protaras in varying places. I've not however considered this to be a "decent" path for less able bodied people (elderly, with a stick, chair etc..)

?

Steve
I think that a proper path would be a good thing ... particulary for the kiosk. It's a lovely walk in the daytime (and I would recommend the crepes from the kiosk) but you can't walk this way when it is dark as there are no lights. The kiosk would do a lot of evening business from people walking from Pernera to Protaras, on their way for a drink or food in Protaras.

We had to walk to and from Pernera through the main road way after dark which is twice the distance walk (as you have to walk inland and then, by following the roads, go back on yourselves a fair amount). A proper path would be a big improvement in my mind.
We were there 5 weeks ago and it was nowhere near finished - we are back again in October so will be interested to see how far they have got with it. I think it will be a great improvement especially in the evenings if it is well lit - it will be a lovely walk as it has always been far too dark and uneven as it was!
Where does the path start in protaras and pernera? We ended up walking up on the road (the long way) last year as couldn't find a 'path' along the front. Will look out for it this year!

:cheers
I'm surprised no one has posted any pictures yet !
The path starts at Marlita beach & it is a lovely walk into protaras, a proper path is long overdue, but to start it in the peak season well........ :duh
gazzy2k wrote:
The path starts at Marlita beach & it is a lovely walk into protaras, a proper path is long overdue, but to start it in the peak season well........ :duh

Thanks! Where does it bring you out in Protaras?
Just outside the rising star, then you can carry on to fig tree bay on the beach.
How long would it take to walk? just at a medium pace. we are off to Protaras at the start of next month for a couple of days away from the hustle and bustle of the other end of the island. Hoping to stay at the Anais Bay hotel. Have heard good reports. :tup
We can usually do it at a very comfortable pace in 20 minutes (unless your other half insists on stopping and enjoying the view....!)

Richie
CazzMicknTom wrote:
Just outside the rising star, then you can carry on to fig tree bay on the beach.

Thanks a lot!

:cheers
Just came back from staying at the Rising Star in Potaras ,and we walked along to the Zafiros bar quite a few days for quick drink or snack.We went in July and it had reopened then.Pat still not finished but still easy to walk along existing paths.Mark
amber wrote:
We were there 5 weeks ago and it was nowhere near finished - we are back again in October so will be interested to see how far they have got with it. I think it will be a great improvement especially in the evenings if it is well lit - it will be a lovely walk as it has always been far too dark and uneven as it was!

Was it finished then Amber?
No it was still in progress! They were putting in low stone walls and had planted cactus plants there was plenty of work going on - will look forward to seeing how much they have done over the winter when we return in June!
It sounds lovely Amber, my step daughter is staying in Pernera so we should be walsking along there regularly.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.