Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Without more information it's not really possible to offer much advice. For example which airports were you booked to/from? Thomas Cook only do once a week flights on all their Cuban routes, so assuming that you had booked flights based on staying 2 weeks, it is extremely unlikely that they would have had any empty seats in August on the flight returning home just one week after you arrived. Also, what is the reason why some of their flight on,y customers knew when there was a return flight but apparently you didn't? Or are you saying that you got seats on a flight provided by another operator and not Thomas Cook?

And are you sure that if you had booked a full package with them that they would have refunded everything? I realise that this might sound harsh but you knowingly booked flights to visit a known hurricane risk destination at the height of the hurricane season. I speak as someone who has regularly visited Cuba in July and August but I accept that this means that I might experience the sort of disruption that you did and frankly it has never occurred to me that if my plans were disrupted by a hurricane that I could automatically expect a flght provider to let me change my non-transferable return flights at the last minute or refund me the cost of my flights despite getting me home in the end. Personally if it was me I would just have accept the offer of a full refund of the flights because they do seem to have provided you with accommodation at their expense until they could fly you home.
I am in agreement with sma. They gave you accommodation and offered to refund your return flight. ( was it TC you flew home with?) I am not sure that any TC package holidaymakers would have had their accommodation refunded. You didn't actually lose any days of your holiday.
I certainly appreciate how it must have felt being stranded with no information. I had something a little similar when flying home with BA from Singapore, where they had to route to Frankfurt and took us to a hotel. We were then given no further info and we actually sorted out a flight back eventually. Have to say we did rather well out of it in the end but it was pretty frustrating at the time. Even an update saying they had no news would have been better.
By the way reps may well have gone back home to ensure their families were safe.
Possibly not the answers you wanted but don't let it out you off sticking around HT :)
  • Edited by Fiona 2017-11-04 19:32:22
Did Abta mean Abta arbitration? Thomas Cook Airlines aren't members of Abta. The retail and tour ops businesses are, but the airline trades as a separate company, and that is who your complaint is about.

I'm not sure what your specific circumstances were, but when you book a flight only to all intents and purposes you are on your own. You didn't book a package that included the services of their reps. That is one of the downsides of going DIY, especially if you're travelling to a hurricane prone area in hurricane season when you book knowing full well you might need help. It's a choice you make when booking. You wouldn't even be on the reps lists of guests. As far as Thomas Cooks are concerned you could be staying anywhere on the island. In the event of delays/cancellations it is the airline that is responsible for providing hotels, food etc as mandated by the EU Regs, but in reality with a vertically integrated company it's often the tour operator that sorts it out. This can be a problem when you didn't actually book with them and sometimes flight only pax can be left to find their own accommodation and then claim the costs back on return. At least they did provide a bed and board.

A refund of the flight cost is a generous offer.
Thanks for the info.

I did book flights with TC from Manchester to Varadero.

The reason some of the flight only customers knew there was a flight home was because they were Cuban and had been in touch with various people and arranged a bus to the airport themselves. I was never advised by Thomas Cook that they was a flight home; I find that outrageous. i called them several times and was told nothing. As an independent traveller, i don;t expect to be spoon fed, but I absolutely expect a decent level of customer when we have paid around £1,000 for flights.

I know that package customers got a full refund, as they and Thomas Cook staff advised me of this.

As stated in my original post, my issue wasn't the hurricane or being delayed, but the absolute lack of service/contact from Thomas Cook after the flight was cancelled. We were left with no money for almost a week. As someone who visits Cuba regularly, you'll understand why that was. No cash-lines worked and we had spent all our money because you can't exchange the peso outwith Cuba.

For a week prior to the hurricane arriving, it was all over the news that a devastating hurricane was heading towards Cuba. Other airline flew customers home early. The day we were due to fly home, we couldn't because of a pilot strike, which they knew about well in advance. I would absolutely expect a company to make alternative arrangements for customers in that situation.

Yes, it's ABTA arbitration, so I'm now a little confused that TC airlines do not come under ABTA when they told me to contact ABTA.

There were reps with all package holiday customers.

I'm just really annoyed that there was not one email or phone call giving us information on what was happening.
I'm still confused because in your OP you said that you were flight only customers in August but Irma didn't make landfall in the Varadero/Havana area until Friday 8 September. Where you booked on the flight due to land at Manchester on the morning of Saturday 9 September? Plus it was my understanding that TC gave package customers whose holidays were due to start that weekend the choice of either a full refund or a transfer of their holiday for another date but not that they gave customers whose return was delayed a full refund.

What was the response of the check-in staff when you turned up at the airport? Were they expecting you at the airport for that flight or not? Whether they had you on their passenger manifest or not might make a difference. And I might have misunderstood you but are you saying that the TC reps with package customers refused to help you because you were a flight only customer or that you were put in a different hotel to the package customers that were scheduled to fly home on the same flight? I've flown a number times as a flight only customer of TC (admittedly to and from Holguin) but have found that both the check-in staff and the TC reps meeting or sending off package customers were helpful in the event of delays.

And to be honest, it's the fact that I am a regular traveller to Cuba that I wouldn't have ended up in the situation you did re being without any money. Unlike 1st time visitors I know that ATMs in Cuba aren't always to be relied on even when power and services aren't disrupted by a hurricane. It's a bit late for you now but my advice would always be to take more cash than you think you'll need, change it into convertible pesos as you go along and only change the bulk of any leftover convertible pesos (CUCS) back at the airport Cadeca once you've checked in and know that you'll be able to go through security. Even then I wouldn't change all of them because you still need CUCS for anything you buy in the departure lounge. But as I say, it's a bit late for you now but I'm surprised that the hotel you were put up in wasn't able to change money for you - most of the sort of AI hotels I assume TC would have put you up in usually have an exchange facility. Or if you were completely out of £sterling as well, were they not able to direct you to a bank (Cuban banks are usually open on a Saturday morning) where you could have got a cash advance against a credit card over the counter?
We left in August and were due to leave the 8th of September, but couldn't because a pilot strike prevented us leaving. The hurricane then hit Varadero on the 9th, which left us in Varadero for a further week! You're understanding of what TC offered people due to start their holiday that weekend is not relevant to my case.

Check-in staff initially refused to check us in. It was only when the Cubans we were with spoke with them in Spanish that we got checked in. Later that day, two TC airplanes left Varadero for Manchester. Again, I should highlight that at no point did TC advise us of the travel arrangements or the fact that they were putting flights on.

Whilst stranded, we met one TC rep by chance when he was buying a phone card in our hotel. He told us there was nothing he could do and that we didn't matter because we weren't package holiday customers. he said this in front of six of us flight only customers. That was the only contact we had. After the hurricane, the hotel was full of reps from different airlines advising people of what was happening. Despite numerous phone calls to TC, we were still told nothing. There was no-one from TC at the airport when we arrived on the 8th of September.

The hotel's bureau de change was closed for the duration of our stay, there were no shops or cashlines nearby, and the cashline at the airport was not working. As the hurricane came on the Saturday, I don;t think it would have been prudent to go looking for a bank to exchange money.

As stated previously, I'm not bothered about he hurricane or being stranded, as that's beyond anyone's control. I also think it is fair that they refund my ticket money. My issue is the complete lack of communication from TC before the hurricane and during our time stranded in Cuba. They knew there was a pilot strike and that our flight would not leave on the 8th (we were told this by crew members on our eventual flight home), but they didn't advise us of this. I don't think that a phone call, email or sending a rep to the hotel to give us an update of what was or wasn't happening isn't too much to expect.
Hi Peter

Sounds pretty rough, but like alot of the package companies that have their own airline it is arguable all the time that there package customers do seem to get better treatment as it is a full holiday they are booking. Their package customers would have been ATOL protected, hence the full refund. It even states on the bottom of the thomas cook website that all flights post Nov 15 are NOT atol protected.

One thing that I would do, without absolute doubt is always book via an agent. I run travel agencies and even with flight only customers, we deal with all the issues they have with airline. Look at Monarch, we had a lot of flight only customers but they were all ATOL protected (as they booked via a ATOL bonded agent) and we addressed all that stress, re booking and taking care of the issues without them even knowing. People booking direct on the airlines site were not so lucky as as you can see from Thomas Cook airlines - your not protected and in effect book at your own risk.

I would just call it a day, I do agree with your point though re the communication and I like you would not be happy.
Lance, that's exactly what I do when travelling to Cuba - the company I use prices up their cultural and bespoke holidays without flights because they get people travelling from a huge range of departure points - often not even in the UK. They leave it up to customers to choose whether to sort out their own flights or get the company to book them on their behalf. They charge a small admin fee per booking for this but I think it's worth it because a) it means that you are then fully covered by their ATOL licence because they have always taken the attitude that if you do this then they are selling you a package holiday and have never hidden behind some of the tricky T&Cs that some on-line agencies have tried to do in the past and b) in the event of problems you have a 24hr emergency number that you can call at any time and which gets a quick response with them dealing with problems like the OP experienced from the UK end and keepng you informed either directly or via their local agent. It's one of the reasons that I have never been deterred from going out there during the hurricane season.

One of the things worth noting is that Thomas Cook seems to be pulling out of doing 'flight only' bookings to Cuba. When I was booking my most recent trip (I was there last month) in January of this year, they weren't accepting 'flight only' bookings for their Manchester/Holguin route and we only got on the flights because the company I travel with persuaded them to let them have a block booking of seats as a TO. TC had obviously taken this decision before this year's hurricane season had even got underway and I wonder if they will pull the plug completely on 'flight only' bookings for next year? I hope not because the only other viable alternative for me would be scheduled into Havana and then either an internal flight or the overnight Viazul bus to Santiago which is a lot of faff compared to to the 2hr road transfer from Holguin. It makes me really nostalgic for the days of the Saturday flights from Gatwick with Cubana!
Agreed Sma. That’s weird about the flight only restriction. But yeah it’s a toss up, people think agents are expensive and it’s all about DIY and they charge to much (which is normally a small admin fee-as you said). However when a brilliant flagship British carrier can go bust, that small admin fee is invaluable.

The Monarch saga raised a lot of eye brows. The public do deserve to be more informed, but like everything, most people want the cheapest option.
Lance, I suspect that it's because there's both more money to be made if they concentrate on filling the Holguin flights with their own package customers and it also not being a popular destination with DIYers. If all you are doing is wanting a mainly flop and drop holiday in a big AI resort in somewhere like Guardalavaca or one of the northeastern cayos, then you might as well do a package - it's less hassle and you aren't going to get it much cheaper if you book flights and hotel separately. And then on the otherhand most DIYers, and especially 1st timers to Cuba are probably wanting to include a visit Havana in which case Holguin is not an ideal entry point and you can get some good scheduled deals if you shop around and don't mind transiting through Madrid, Paris or Schipol. After all if you don't live within easy distance of London it's as easy to fly into one of the above as have diwn to fly to Heathrow or Gatwick. So I think on the Holguin/Manchester route it's a combination of comparatively low demand for flight only bookings and the pull of maximising profit via only selling their own packages on that route.

Given that I live in Scotland, if they do completely stop 'flight only' bookings on the Manchester/Holguin route then I would seriously consider scheduled into Havana with the likes of Iberia or Air France because I don't rate Virgin from Gatwick and generally speaking I'm unwilling to pay BA prices for the pleasure of transiting through Heathrow! I'd make a stopover in Havana a virtue and brave the internal flight into Santiago :-)
Sma
When we finally get around to going to Cuba, I will be asking you so many questions :-D I have looked at various packages and they are not for me.
More than happy to help when the time comes, Fiona, but don't leave it too long ;-)
we cant plan anything big beyond the immediate short term for the next wee while as OH may have to work away- and I will have to holiday there. But we will get there some time!
We first met a guy in Cuba some 12 years ago, who always goes flight only from M'cr to Holguin (or used to!!)
He was recently bemoaning the fact that TC had stopped flight only bookings - I think he was resigned to having to use Virgin flights in future (at much greater expense!!)
  • Edited by brewerdave 2017-11-06 09:46:26
    Speelink mestake
The thing which is really confusing is that the Thomas Cook airlines websites has continued to advertise these flights but when you search for them you keep getting a notification saying no flights are available!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.