Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
I have never been to Rhodos [although its on my list] but have been to several places around Greece prices seem very similar

what to do?? Kritty is the home to the Minoan civilization if your into history there is lots to do, it is also a lot larger than Rhodos so more countryside/seaside to see if you are typical of the 18/30's [student] crowd look around Malia for accommodation [party capital of the island] try clicking on resort reports in the blue banner near the top of the page and reading the various reports from members on Crete

wizard
I prefer Rhodes to Crete but there isn't much in it. Rhodes has the Valley of the Butterflies (or whatever it is called) and Prasonnisi beach where the two oceans meet. Crete is much bigger with Knossos, the Minoian palace just along from Malia and of course the Samarian Gorge way down South East. There are plenty of day trips available from all resorts on Crete.

Malia is party central but not over the top. My Wife and I are early-mid 30's and we thought it was excellent, very busy though. Alternatively next door is Stalis, which is much quieter but also close to the action.

I actually like Rhodes best followed by Zakynthos and then Crete. Kefalonia was great but it was off season, so can't really offer a fair comment on that and I hated Corfu.

Prices in Crete very reasonable. Beers anything from 2euros+, but don't get drawn in thinking there are lots of beer offers kicking around like some people say. Mainly 2 and 3 for 1 cocktails, watered down with juice etc.

Food very reasonable and good quality. Depends on what you want really. Pizza and Pasta around 5-8 euros a meal.

If you want any further info just let me know.

Cheers
Crete is much larger than Rhodes and to my mind THE island! Instead of Rhodes old town you have Chania's Venetian harbour (shopping to die for) - instead of Petaloudes or Seven Springs you have the gorges of Southern Crete and the springs at Argyroupolis. You CAN do the package thing and go to Malia or Hersonissos, but there is still a huge tradition for independent travel on the island and an excellent bus service. We normally fly into Heraklion, overnight, then get the first bus out to the west and by lunchtime we're on the ferry from Hora Sfakion to Loutro or Agia Roumeli or Sougia. Room prices last September varied between 25 and 35 euros per night on the South coast - you might not get many clubs, but there's generally a bar (even in Agia Roumeli!) and a better mix of nationalities than you get in the more packaged resorts. If you REALLY wanted to save money, people still camp under the trees at the back of Sougia beach....

With a few exceptions you won't find beaches like Tsambika on Crete - but you could have a beach where it's just you on it :)
We went to Crete last year and stayed in Reythmynon. If you like good shopping and and a busy town this is the place to book. I have been to Rhodes 3 times and I thought this was similar to Rhodes town. It depends on what your tastes are, if you stayed in Falaraki and you like partying 24/7 then Stalis or Malia may be more suitable.
It is definatly worth hiring a bike or car and getting to see the island, we found beautiful little greek villages (panormo, spili and the one up in the mountains with the springs lol), monastrys, amazing beaches (Balos), lake Kournas, Frangokastello castle, Kourtaliotiko gorge not to mention many other seaside towns. Because the island is much bigger than Rhodes theres so much more to see, and in my opinion its impossible to see it without car or bike hire.
Food and drink was quite cheap, a typical meal for 2 with drinks was about 15 to 20 quid. If you go self catering and have a fridge their beers are very nice and real cheap. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.