Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
hi botty
i went in october and had no trouble with taking a cooler bag with cold meat. bacon. cheese.ect.Just send it as hold luggage.have a great holiday
A friend travelled recently and had just the ice packs removed and kept in security, but that was before thevery recent relaxation off the rules.
Serious question. Why would anyone want to take cooked meat, bacon, cheese, etc. with them to Tenerife (or anyehere else)? These are all available in local supermarkets - usually cheaper than at home. Surely the idea of a foreign holiday is to experience local conditions.
Serious question. Why would anyone want to take cooked meat, bacon, cheese, etc. with them to Tenerife (or anyehere else)? These are all available in local supermarkets - usually cheaper than at home. Surely the idea of a foreign holiday is to experience local conditions.
People have asked this question beforeand posters have given opinions not answers. I think that if you can't give an answer don't post. Botty wasn't asking if she could buy the products in Tenerife but whether she could carry them in a cool bag on the plane. A lot of people are far too opiniated about what posters should or shouldn't do when on holiday.
At the moment you can't carry food in a cool bag in your hand luggage. It would have to go in your case. I live abroad and after the new hand luggage regulations came into force I have brought cheese back from England wrapped in layers of foil, in my suitcase without a problem but have always been a little worried in case my luggage went missing. A large cool box may not be accepted as checked in luggage,though I have seen cool boxes on the carousels. A small one in your case may be Ok.
Lets keep the posts friendly people as stated opinions do form part of the forums but it does happen from time to time that the original question gets overlooked. But hey ho that's life.

So lets get back on track and try and get an answer to the question.
Hi

We always take a cool bag with ice packs to keep the food frozen/chilled but we always put it through with our luggage not as hand luggage.

Regards Jackie
Please can we do the reverse.
We love the serrano ham. Can we purchase in Tenerife and bring it back to UK? Yes in the hold !! sorry just being mischievous.
Thanks.
Pebble

Don't see why not.

Regards Jackie
Pebble,

I'm no computer expert here, so I hope this works, but try this link....

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/illegali/default.htm

should tell you all you need to know about what you can/cannot bring into the UK in terms of food etc

hope that helps

windym
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.