Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
if you stick to good local fresh produce then its a little cheaper than home but if you want imported foods/wines/beers/spirits.. biscuits cakes sweets and ice cream they can be extortionately expensive, the nearest main supermarket is "Orphanides" on the Protaras side of Paralimni, if you don't have a car it can be reached by buss

yasus
wizard
Thanks for that. Sounds like it could work out quite expensive as I'd imagine most foodstuff and drink (everyone likes a drink on holiday) would be imported.
everyone likes a drink on holiday

the Keo i find is quite acceptable and other members prefer the Leon, sodop or Keo standard brandy is fine if mixing [the cocktail of cyprus id the brandy sour there are many good quality wines available as well as the normal village wines [the white is very dry]Keo also do a whisky which is of Scottish blend and 40% they also have a range of other own branded spirits

Hinze beans English [walls] bacon/sausages will cost the earth compared to home

it can cost as little or as much as you want to spend ..after all why go abroad to eat and drink English style.. go for the Cypriot experience ..oh and keep away from tourist area bars/tavenas and look a little further inland [where the locals go]

yasus
wizard
We like lager (no, we're not lager louts) in moderation. My daughter-in-law likes wine. Do they do their own brands of baked beans etc. Not that we are going to live on beans. How about the fresh meat and the barbecue stuff like chicken and sausages? You are being very helpful, thanks.
the supermarket i mentioned earlier will have both local brands and imported the local pork/lamb is excellent although you may find it has a stronger flavor and slightly more fat than you are use to, chicken is also plentiful

yasus
wizard
Meat, especially pork (not chicken though funny enough) is generally cheaper in Cyprus than the UK.
Pork chops - mmm Cyprus pork chops are something else - were about €2.50 a kilo when we were there earlier this month.

Sausages - try Spicers on the road up to Orphanides right hand side.

For info, Litsas supermarket in Vrysoulles had heinz beans for €0.65 but its a bit too far to go for a tin of beans...

Finally http://www.kapparis.info (tips nod to Marion ;)) gives loads of info local to Kapparis - where abouts are you staying exactly?
[ Hi Pubdog :tup - one day we'll be in Cyprus at the same time!]

This will give you a good idea of prices...
http://www.cyprusliving.org/phpbb/nfphpbb/viewtopic.php?t=22021

Buses currently don't run through Kapparis, just down Protaras Avenue which could be said to be a southern boundary of the area. It can be an unpleasant trek in Summer from parts of Kapparis to the bus stops (and back!)

The supermarket specials will also give you an idea, eg
http://www.carrefour.com.cy/index.php?option=com_flippingbook&view=book&id=3&Itemid=62&lang=en

Some new stores have recently opened selling British stuff at reasonable prices... Discount C 10 along the Protaras-Cape Grecko road, and one in Paralimni on 1st April Street.

And there's http://www.chillysfrozenfoods.com/

HTH, Marion
There are a couple of shop that have opened up in the last few weeks with British stuff that is very cheap. atahere is one in Paralimni but the name escapes me at present.

A shop called C10 discount opened in Protaras on Monday. I went there on Tuesday and it was unbelievably cheap. Some of the stuff is cheaper than I remember in Britain. For that one you go past the traffic lights at the exit of the main Protaras strip and its a few hundred yards up on the right hand side.

I will be using this shop a lot.
Thanks everyone who has answered my question, you have been most helpful - not sure if I'm going to Kapparis but I know some relatives of mine are so I'll pass on all the information to them - hopefully, I will get there!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.