Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Oh my your in for a shock.............things have definitly gone up. But also remember the Euro was adopted on Jan 1st so it will be interesting to see how much more expensive things will be now.

I spoke to a friend who lives there and he said a can of coke is 78 euro cents now :yikes

I think we'll have to wait for some first hand experience from peeps on the boards who visit in the next few months to see what's happened price wise.
78 cents, that works out about 50p doesn't it. I think that's a reasonable price considering I paid £1.25 at a local market at Christmas. Shocking.

How much was a can previously?
A can of soft, fizzy drink from the bakeries and kiosks was around 45c to 50c and a bit cheaper in the supermarkets.

Not too much has changed in the first week with the €, other than the confusion of it all in the beginning. There was an article published on the front page of the online Cyprus newspaper, which you may find interesting to read below. It was published on Saturday 5th January:

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php

Cheers
cwb

Edit to provide link due to copyright - Admin
As far as I am aware nowhere in the world gets cheaper, Cyprus as an independent island is not expensive compared to most Mediterranean countries. of course cost's have risen but that is normal, a few friends and ourselves ate out only last night at an expensive restaurant for me anyway and it was €30 each,(Coral Bay ) this included several drinks starters for two and sweet's for the other two, not expensive I do not think, you can pay a lot more of course but also go to a local taverna and it's half that price or less, petrol is still only half UK prices, general cost in supermarkets are about the same as the UK again less if you buy local produce, we always try to, clothing here is not cheap but then again most of the year who need it, we get free hot water to shower even in winter most days, thanks to the climate here, still good even in winter this year, of course eating out three meals a day will seem expensive so do a little self catering if possible, it will save you more for those drinks, by the way booze here is very cheap, a Ltr of Absolute vodka in any supermarket will cost the equivalent of £7 UK £'s...No I do not think Cyprus is expensive, far from it, local knowledge obviously helps, but do a little homework before you arrive here will save you hundreds of €'s, on this topic I reserve my judgment, as we are still getting to grip's with this at this very moment, personally I am finding it hard to convert over..

Mis-chief I never have paid that for cans of pop, but I will find out the real cost's, it is not that high though, your friend must have used a kiosk, always places to avoid regarding higher pricing we have found.
Jimbox it wasn't a kiosk apparently but a small supermarket in Ayia Napa.......which I suppose is the "real cost" to holidaymakers in the summer in central Napa, kiosk or not :shock:
Ok we live nowhere near A Nap of course but just checked with the boss and she pays 25cents (old money) for one can of Diet Coke, so something was out of order with that charge...we pay £2.00cyp for eight can pack at a supermarket very close to us, that was only last week. No doubt prices may rise with the €..but hey the sun is shinning...nice weather at the moment.. 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.