Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Oh dear. I know the days of Turkey being truly "cheap" may be gone, but I hope there is some exaggeration going on here. If it really is now more expensive than the UK (where we are supposed to have higher wages and cost of living) and indeed many European holiday destinations, this could be our last year of visiting!

I wonder if the Turkish government is aware that many tourists may decide not to return if they find that Turkey is now an expensive destination due to exorbitant levels of tax?
Those prices are almost Euro prices if true. Having never been to Turkey before we picked Turkey because we where led to believe the prices for food where apparently a lot cheaper than the Euro zone. The one good thing however was the cost of the holiday itself. Getting 21 night S/C for around £300 in August is still £160pp cheaper than what we all paid last summer for a fortnight in Cyprus.
Bev, a litre bottle of spirits gives about 40 shots which means if they sell it at about 10tl a shot with mixer they make somewhere around 400tl a bottle, about £80. :really how much do they pay you for it?
gb
Bev, a litre bottle of spirits gives about 40 shots

Yes but that's British measures. every time I've been to the med and when I was last in Turkey, you get at least 3 times that amount in your glass. If this is still the case, shorts don't really work out that expensive.
The exchange rate seems to dropping on a daily rate, on Saturday ( 15th) i was quoted 2.13 lira to the pound! :yikes

Alan
shirley h wrote:
Bev, a litre bottle of spirits gives about 40 shots

Yes but that's British measures. every time I've been to the med and when I was last in Turkey, you get at least 3 times that amount in your glass. If this is still the case, shorts don't really work out that expensive.

Yep shirley they do give you larger shots but the little devils often water it down in the bottle or use local spirits and pass them off as brand names. so it still works out dearer in truth. they cant sell branded spirits at britsih rates coz it would be too expensive for them. a bottle of imported rum or scotch in the supermarket is about 3 times the price it is over here so there would be no point in them selling on a bottle you brought over at low prices as they wouldn't make a profit on it unless they watered it down or sold local stuff maskerading as genuine liquor.
gb
mobile fitter wrote:
The exchange rate seems to dropping on a daily rate, on Saturday ( 15th) i was quoted 2.13 lira to the pound! :yikes

Alan

Alan I rmember when it was almost 3 lira to the pound :cry in the paper other day they said it could go as low as 1.50 to the pound by july if this new government let the pound drop further. :cry :cry
Hello,

Just wondering if many have been to Olu Deniz this year and if prices are higher, ie whats the average prices on meals and drinks?

Is there much change in the area? Its 2 years since we were last there, cant wait to go in September!!

Thanks

PaulaL

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
We are going to Hisaronu this year and feedback on other forums with regard to people who have been and returned are basically saying the Drink prices(Efes)are the same as last year, and food prices have gone up about 5%.

Just hope the lira goes up before we go in Aug which will make things a little easier.
Hi All
Every year it`s the same thing, prices are going up, the exchange rate is falling, turkey is going to cost a mint i might need a second mortgage this year bla bla bla.
i even started a thread a couple of years ago after reading some posts about the cost of turkey etc..
I`m so so sorry for that ;)
But year after year we still keep going back and still keep paying the prices they ask for and yet here we are again still with the same worries etc.. :que
and the devoted of us will still book for next year why is this? :que
It`s because of the country and the people thats why.
i remember the first year we went to turkey (altinkum) 2 star hotel we were on a realy tight budget £650 for two weeks, to be honest we were dreading it, having to watch every penny with less than £50 a day spends yet we bought gold, gifts, and clothes ate out every night (not always 5 Star) but we never went hungry and we never felt like we had to be careful with the pennies.
this year were taking £2000 for the two weeks OTT i know but thats life prices have risen across the planet so it`s something we all are going to have to get used too.
i love turkey with a passion and will always end up there for my hols.
The best advice i can offer is haggle everywhere, in icemeler last year 4 of us (all adults) ate and drank all night for £50 where in the uk can you get good value like that?
we just asked the manager if we paid him £50 english up front can he do all we can drink on top of our meal for this it took a little persuasion but he agreed so long as all we drank was efes (fine with us).
one of the best nights we have ever had in turkey. We even chucked in an extra £10 for the service it was that good.
So don`t worry too much i`m sure you will all have a fantstic time and find a way to budget your money even if it is a little more expensive.
Just think before you spend, trips book in resort not with tour reps.
Food check prices before entering a resturaunt, and don`t be affraid to haggle.

Andy and mel
Food check prices before entering a resturaunt, and don`t be affraid to haggle.

I was going to ask here whether we could ask for freebies at the restaurants as when we were in Turkey for our first time (a number of years ago now) we quickly learnt to play one restaurant off against another e.g. One evening a restaurant got our custom simply by saying we'll throw in free bread :D , the next evening another threw in a free bottle of wine and so by the end of the first week we were getting to be experts. One night I told them Restaurant A's offering bread, B's offering wine, if you give us bread and wine, we'll eat here :rofl

What other things can you consider when you haggle apart from drink all you want as I like spirits? On the other hand, is it worth haggling as more than likely if they give you free wine it'll be inferior anyway and maybe even add a bit on to the bill here and there so in fact it isn't free :think What are your thoughts please?
hi shirley
i tend to agree in the most part but if you don`t ask you don`t get we have always found that if you use a little humour while asking this always seems to help ;)
i know this sounds cheeky but i have even haggled with the cost of sunbeds etc.. (much to my wifes disgust) she do night like to haggle always feels too embarrassed but my philosophy is if you don`t try you will never know. (just keep an open mind and a good sense of humour about it). if they say no what have you lost?

Andy
just been reading all the posts about prices we have been going to turkey for the past 11 years and will be there again in sept as usual also already booked for next year, yes things cost a bit more every year but we go for the people and the lovely scenery, the and the new friends we will make so stop moaning :really
and as i have previously posted tips are encouraged and expected in turkey thus bumping the cost of your holiday further
I always enjoy tipping when I have had good service. These guys are sweating like mad and work really hard for like 15hrs a day.... surely they deserve a few quid for making our night.

Wahooooo 4 more sleeps x x x
They were offering 2.25Tl to £ last week commission free. Prices varied madly. Large beer was between 4 and 7, Bacardi etc was expensive. 12Tl I saw. On the whole prices were not bad but then it depends what you want.

fwh
Barter with everyone,even bars in the hotel. :rofl
We have just come back and the only rise we saw was in the price of Efes.It was 6 TL in the hotel but my hubby bartered and got it for 4TL :rofl
We were charged 3.50TL for Efes in a lovely Turkish restaurant where we went regularly.
In the Columbia restaurant ,a huge T Bone steak with garlic bread and a large glass of wine was 25TL.Chicken dishes with the bread and wine were 17.50TL.Total price £19!
The sunbeds were free on Gumbet beach and the hotel we were in lets anyone use them.
Icmeler is my favourite resort and as we only go in October maybe prices are lower then but I found Side and Olu Deniz to be the most expensive resorts.
I dont go to Turkey because its cheaper than the Euro zone but because its a beautiful country with lovely friendly people. :tup
good for you jay trip me and your oh should get together i`m sure if you push hard enough you can get some excellent bogof`s in turkey too :rofl

andy
Jay...

Any other tips on good restaurants/bars/shops/trips etc or even places to avoid in Gumbet... :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.