Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Hopefully it is just one of those stories that the media likes to hit holidaymakers with at the start of every peak season, and that it won't actually develop into the predicted crisis. Last year we were being told that Benidorm hotels would have to close down during peak season due to food shortages caused by the fuel strikes. Those reports caused a lot of panic too, but thankfully it never happened.

David :wave
Whether a strike will happen, I don't know, but....
Sorry to say, two of the biggest unions are involved.UGT and CC.OO.. and the Employer Organizations, CEOE and CEPYME.
It's about collective bargaining, and issues like wage increases, reducing social security contributions, temporary contracts and dismissal.
The collective bargaining agreements are signed every year between the unions and the employers..
The employers refuse to sign for 2009.
The Government have told them that they can't reduce (or meet their demands) the Social Security contributions because it will undermine the stability of the Social Security.

With the high unemployment and the mood of the workers, the Government can't run the risk of a general strike, so they have told them that they must resume talks.......From now on, negotiations will have priority, but they broke down again yesterday, next meeting on Monday.

Here's a couple of translated articles to put you in the picture, albiet not a very good translation on the newspaper article.
HERE and http://www.aol.es/noticias/story/El-Gobierno-la-patronal-y-los-sindicatos-superan-el-bache-y-mantienen-la-negociaci%25C3%25B3n/11752624/index.html&ei=rq5XSoDoDtfPjAf7p8TNDA&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGobierno%2By%2Bsindicatos%2Bno%2Baceptan%2Blas%2Bpropuestas%2Bde%2Bla%2BCEOE%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">HERE

Sanji
Guess the good points that can be taken from this is that all parties seem to be interested in sorting this out through dialogue. So its a wait and see situation for the time being i suppose, but i would consider strike action would be the last thing that anyone wants, and feel fairly confident that some resolution will be found. But whilst there is uncertanty, it will remain a bit unsettling and people will fear the worse!

Best Regards - Taggy
It looks like the Government have come back to the negotiating table and had a re-think.
It's still not settled, nothing is in concrete yet, there are still several issues to thrash out....but, at least they are talking, so, that has to be a good thing
The Unions are/were hoping to have some sort of deal to take back to the workers before the end of July
Next meeting on Thursday.

A good translated version http://www.cotizalia.com/cache/2009/07/13/25_reunion_dialogo_social_concluye_acuerdo_nueva.html&ei=ELRbSvPCC4TLjAey2ckb&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=7&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DEl%2BGobierno%2Bintenta%2Bcontentar%2Ba%2Bpatronal%2By%2Bsindicatos%2Bcon%2Bnuevas%2Bmejoras%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">HERE

Sanji
Ah well at least a bit of progress there and a bit more upbeat language being used, so fingers crossed. Not quite sure from the last paragraph if the next meeting is planned for this Thurs or next Thurs though!

Best Regards - Taggy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.