Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Last summer we went to Blanes with Sunways coaches.

We had been to Blanes the previous year and stayed in apartments on the sea front. While we were there, we discovered Camping la Masia with its fantastic facilities and luxury mobile homes.

So, when we got home in 2004 we booked Camping the Masia for 2005. We were not disappopinted. Our caravan was in the best position ever - next to one of the lovely pools. We were in a quiet area of the site but not too far from the amenities.

As for this year, well as yet we are undecided. We don't normally book until after Christmas. We think we might fly this year - having coached for the last four. However, I've had a quick look online and it is certainly going to be a lot more expensive if we do.

Sadly Camping La Masia won't be an option for us. I have the Sunways new brochure and can't believe its not in there!! What a shame.

Siesta go there though......or they did.
I've been there before......you find somewhere nice, then get the brochure the next again year....and they drop it! :(
Tossa again for us!
We actually met in Tossa on an NUS holiday in 1975, and have been back every year since, apart from a break to have a family! Back then it was a much quieter place with just a handful of restaurants, but has still retained its character despite the changes over the years.

We've stayed in various hotels, but mainly in the campsites. The C'an Marti campsite has a fantastic pool and is in walking distance of the town, so this has been the favoured one.

Does anyone remember Charlie's Bar/Snoopy's in the Vila Vella? Now sadly missed.......
we went to estartit, with redcrest, were there when the company folded, we were staying in the mardor apartments which are excellent and as cider knows i will recommend them to anyone. the apartments are all privatly owned and can be booked over the net, my kids want to go back there next year so we may book flights on a cheap airline and book them privately but hubby thinking of trying somewhere differant.
been twice this year, once to calella and once to lloret.
must admit i prefer the town/facilities of calella, as we now seem to be too old for most of those in lloret. Did find a good rock bar there though!
stayed at the Osiris in june A/I and you get what it says on the label. hotel was in need of tart up but i believe that is being done this winter. best feature is the roof top bar which is child free.
went to royal beach in november and thought it was very good. again an H Top hotel A/I and it deserved the extra star compared to the Osiris.
we would return to Fanals, but never again to Costa Brava in november-2 visits, rain/storms twice, as it has lovely beach,plenty to entertain us at night, some good retaurants -the italian at the end of the beach was superb, and plenty of bars.
if my partner's health improves enough for a holiday next year we will go back to Malgrat, and if the Maripins hotel has recovered from being flooded this year we will probably go there again.
we do keep looking for somewhere else warm to go by coach, but we may look at that idea in new year. only coach firm i've seen doing Italy is club c and i don't fancy travelling with them again, but that is for another topic and another day.
anyway - merry christmas to all my readers and a happy new year with lots of new travel experiences to all.
Whereabouts in Italy have you been looking at, Jim? I have been with Club C, the journey was ok, but you have to appreciate that it is a long one! My only objection with them is that there is no hostess service north of London, and that is a long time for me!!! When i was in Jesolo, i know that Shearings (or WA Shearings as they are now) went there, and to other places in italy, there website is here.....
WA Shearings

The only thing i remember hearing about Shearings, though, is that they changed coaches at the usual 'hub' around London, and then you had to change again in the north of italy onto a local feeder coach.....didnt appeal to me!

Sorry for going off topic, but it was just to answer a point in the previous post! :D
Empuriabrava in August and what a beautiful town it is. Empuriabrava is the worlds largest resort Marina and its absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately we were there with Redcrest the week they went bust, well you all know that story.

Camping wise, there is an International Amberes campsite there which is much nearer the town than the one that Redcrest were using which was Camping Castell Mar, it was not a great campsite although it was owned by the same people who own Castell Montgri. The International Amberes site though looked fantastic, right on the edge of the town and it had lots of great facilities. We cut through it a few times on the walk back from the town.

The area itself though is absolutely beautiful, with the most stunning beaches and surrounding areas such as Roses. Its also not far from Aqua Brava. Its a very affluent area though so isn't cheap for taxis etc but it means there are some pretty beautiful hotels about and lots and lots of gorgeous boats to be hired. I would highly recomment it although I don't think there are any coach companies doing holidays to here.

Good idea Cider to keep the forum going!

Catherine xxx
Thanks Catherine......thinking of nice hot sunny holidays is the only thing that gets me through the Scottish winter!! :wink:

It's nice to read a review of Camping Castell Mar....i have only ever looked at it via the website (when looking for Castell Montgri) and i always just assumed it to be a mini-castell montgri....but from what you say, it didnt quite match up to that.

I think you may be right too.....i think Redcrest was the only company going there, so if you want a coach there now, you may well be snookered!!
We will definatley return to tossa if we can afford to do it this year, last 6 years it's been costa brava, and we said we would have a change next time, but fell in love with tossa and the hotel we were in, golden bahia, felt safe late at night and the charm of town, no larger louts just people enjoying there holiday, still look each day at the webcam

Rosie
Candida, we did Blanes La Masia this year as well, when were you there? We went with Solaire and must have been in the same part of the site as you.

Haven't thought much about next Summer yet. Probably a drive across to France of Spain again though.
We were at La Masia for 10 days starting 19th August. I thought it was a great place. We travelled by Sunways coach but I might consider driving one year. Although, once you take into account the fuel costs and so on, you are probably as well off coaching!
Have to agree there. I've always considered taking my car, but given the distance i would have to go as a lone driver, plus the additional cost, then coaching will more than likely always be my preferred option!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.