Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
crete holiday
10 Posts
Hi Sonia,

we like elounda, why not try the Manos apartments, they are nice and have a pool, they are in between the Sea Breeze and the anymomylos restaurant, right on the beach. we are going for the third time in September

Jane :cheers
I'd recommend Almyrida, a small resort half an hour east of Chania. There's a lovely sandy beach, enough good tavernas to choose from but nothing rowdy. We stayed in Plaka, the village just up the hill but I'm sure you would find a suitable apartment in Almyrida itself. I believe the Almyrida Beach Hotel gets good reviews.

Some pictures of the area from our trip.

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/346735/index.html
we are looking for self catering we really want to go to aghia marina but has it been built up into a lively resort :cheers
Plakias on the south coast is very quiet, it is not built up and is more like a fishing village with an excellent range of tavernas, and a few bars. In Sept we are going to Anisarass which is on the north coast, again a sleepy little resort, with nice beaches, Hersonissos is just 5kms away, so we have the best of both worlds.
Aghia Galini on the south coast is also fairly quiet, but very hilly.
Hi sonia987
I would recommend Kalives on the west coast. Its close to Almerida but much less 'touristy' Its got a great beach, lots of shops and is a village thats lived in all year. So is typically Cretan. The locals are very friendly AND its only 30mins from Chania airport :sun2
I've stayed in both Elounda and Agia Marina and would strongly recommend the latter. Sure Agia Marina has changed since I first went there in the 1970's but it's not been spoiled during its development. It's still quiet but with all amenities and with great access to the best beaches on Crete (Falasarna, Elafonissi, Kalathas etc.) which are west of Chania....plus of course the White Mountains! No contest.
Hi :wave: Sonia987
I have to agree with MariaH & Johngw, Almyrida & Kalyves sound most suited to you, and there are good hotels, apartments & villa's in the area, Check some out on the internet you may be surprised at the prices in the area.
When we visited Elounda, we found the stores and taverna's were charging more than the ones on the western side of the island.
And Chania airport is easy to access from the national road, and better than Heraklion, In my opinion. :)
We have been to both Elounda (2007) and Aghia Marina (2008) and have booked to return to Aghia Marina in 2009 staying at Dias apartments -again. We prefer this side of Crete, the village of Aghia Marina is very pleasant, yes the front towards Platanias can never be described as "quiet" but it doesn't take long to get away from it all and you are well placed for Chania etc.. Ooh I can't wait now :sun2
Hi Groovychick
I agree with every word you say. My wife, young daughter (7) and I stay at the Atrion which is next door to you. Everything is on the doorstep. Been going for years.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.