Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
your biggest problem would be transport from the UK as direct holiday flights finish at the end of october so you wold have to think about Heathrow to Athens then either ferry or internal flight

wizard
You should still be able to get scheduled services into Heraklion from Britain during the winter but Crete is not really a skiing destination that is geared up to meet the needs of foreign visitors on the whole. Do it as part of a holiday for the novelty value so that you can say that you've done it but don't go expecting anything comparable to what you'll get in the Alps or the more well-known ski areas.

It strikes me that it's a bit like our homegrown skiing here in Scotland - great for us locals who flock to places like Cairngorm and Glen Shee the moment there's a skiable 'dump' of snow but I'd never advise anybody to come here as their first choice for a week's winter skiing. There's simply not enough variety to keep anybody but beginners interested for a week. It's why you'll find us on our home slopes any weekend there's skiable snow but we all go to the Alps or other 'full-time' ski resorts for a week-long skiing holiday. From what I can gather skiing in Crete falls into the same category.

SM
Don't waste your time or money! Snowfall in Crete is erratic and the Cretans do not have the necessary infrastructure in place to make the most of it (few, if any lifts, remoteness of the snowfields).
Thanks guys. The flights should be OK so long as we get the dates right, as we've come through Athens before. Don't fancy the ferry at all at that time of year.
I think I'll ask locally next time we are over. Crete would be lovely during the winter if you have the right place to stay, even if I do miss out on the snow!!
Maz
http://www.lefkoritis.com/activity_sites.htm Like this?? Mind you, you'd probably get snowed in...wouldn't that be a shame!
Mind you, you'd probably get snowed in...wouldn't that be a shame!

You are being ironic aren't you? At an altitude of less than 800mtrs (ie well under 2,500ft) you will probably get some snow during the Cretan winter but it's unlikely to be either skiable or to hang around for that long!

SM
Sorry for being frivolous :shock: You might get snowed in for a day or so - the main Vrisses - Sfakia road normally gets blocked at least one day a winter up on the plateau....
Elenitsa, wouldn't it be awful to be snowed in in such a wonderful place :lol:

Locker 1816 ~ the photo's are great. I've previously seen photos of the 2005 snowfall. The damage to the trees was still evident when we were there in late spring. Must have been amazing.
Absolutely dreadful. I haven't managed to stay on Askifou at ANY time of year yet!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.