Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
culture shock
14 Posts
Yes!!!!
It will be a culture shock for them. Nothing can prepare you for the litter, the reckless driving, cows wandering the roads and beach etc.etc.
But having been to both places I'm sure they will love Goa and the friendly Goan people as much as myself and the other HTs members on this forum. :o :o
  • Edited by Joan_H 2007-03-21 13:37:17
The will definitly get the culture shock, compared to Thailand Goa is still in the middle ages, when you compare the hotel's and infrastructure. We stayed in Thailand for a month, yes I really enjoyed it, but a three star hotel, in Thailand is like a 5 star plus in Goa, there are a lot of differences, but I would still prefer Goa, I think it is the people that make Goa. Thailand has been in the tourist trade for a lot longer than Goa, so they know what the tourists want, but I really hope that Goa dosen't turn out like Thailand I like it the way it is, even though I have to wash my feet ten times a day.
Depends were they went in Thailand, yes the hotels in Goa will give them a bit of a shock but I think the slums in Bangkok are a tad worse than Goa.

Alan
We have been to both and in my opinion Goa is much more of a culture shock than Thailand. We really enjoyed Thailand and stayed in some fabulous hotels but have never felt the urge to keep going back as we do to Goa. Goa has that "something" that draws us back time and time again.
We do go to other holiday destinations as there are so many places to see but we hardly ever go to the same place more than once or twice except for Goa.
I get more culture shock when I return to Britain. My 6 yr old summed it up when we landed "Mummy, England is so quiet!". I had to agree!!!!
thankyou very much for your replies cant wait to to get in the taxi with them from the airport and watch thier faces remembering how I felt
thats true i remember the worst smell iv ever smelt and that was just outside the airport the look on my girls faces summed it up,i know what they were thinking it was :were on earth have you brought us; but within a few hours you seem to come to your sences and within a couple of days even my 13 year old daughter got into the haggling over the prices for bags,clothes,and everything else girls seem to like buying,steve.
yep it will be a culture shock. i haven't been to thailand, but i do remember the first time i went to goa! my first thought once in the transfer COACH??
was what HAVE i done!!! what on earth is this place!!!
once settled in and a couple of days passed, things started to stir in me, and i was beginning to enjoy everything around me, in fact, i was falling in love, ( don't tell the wife).
although next year we are returning to cuba, we have already decided to go back to goa for the next holiday after that.
BOB :glynis
My teenage daughters were horrified if thats not too stronger word when we visited last year. From the hassle from porters snatching bags out of their hands to the state of the so called luxury coach they wondered what we had brought them to. Even when we finally arrived at the hotel the surrounding area resembled a shantytown. We left them in their own room to sleep while we attempted a nap but were too excited. We then found the beach and sat down to sample the Kingfisher I had heard so much about. After discussing our arrival we both decided that we werent sure whether or not we liked Goa. However as we were there for a fortnight we would have to make the most of it. After a few more beers and a fantastic meal at the hotel we were over the culture shock and settled into a fantastic holiday. As to my daughters one apparently cried and wanted to go home and then cried because we had to go home. Cant wait to return for Xmas 07.
  • Edited by MCB 2008-01-30 11:09:49
I remember the first time we arrived in Goa and made our way to our "air conditioned" coach to the resort. AC meant trying to prize open the window on the bus which was stuck shut! :shock: and the other one was broken and wouldnt open at all!!! :oops: Not that there was much pointing opening the windows as it was hotter outside than inside!!! Smalll bottles of waters handed out by the Thomsons rep had to suffice :rofl
We still fell in love with the place tho, its magical :D
Coming out of the airport at Goa for me was amazing....seeing the little buildings to the side (very Indian) and the traffic & tuk tuks....all the porters and taxis shouting 'taxi'

Met First Choice rep after fighting my way through the crowds and they put our bags on the roof....again so Indian I was AMAZED and excited but this stark difference was something else!

The slums by the roads on my way to the North of Goa caught my attention. The dogs and cows just mingling with the people.

I saw the train go under the bridge after leaving Dabolim with people standing at the open doorways which imagine I can still see very clearly!

As for the markets....they were great. If you opened a market like some of them over here in the UK the EHO would have them shut down!

Goa is a great way to ease yourself in to India if you want to see places such as Delhi and Mumbai....They are just so much worse in terms of number of people and 'culture shock'
I remember my first visit like it was yesterday. The toilet attendant at Dabolim wanting a pound in return for one square sheet of loo roll and a squirt of soap was hilarious. On returning to my OH I announced very loudly as I was in :shock: "you'll never believe what happened in there"! Everybody in the airport seemed to turn around and look at me :oops: I didn't know then what I know now - but they did :roll: :lol: As we drove to Calangute in the usual "air conditioned" tourist bus, my eyes were everywhere trying to take it all in, I loved it and my first comment to a fellow traveller was "this is "b....y brilliant. When we arrived at the Silent Retreat (now Neelams) the reception was at the back down a narrow lane and we arrived at the same time as the garbage lorry was departing, I can still smell it YUK :lol: I came away from that first holiday in floods of tears thinking we would never be able to afford to return, I thought my heart would break :oops: 10 visits later we still love Goa. Culture shock? Nah, not for me - just different and thats why we love it and save hard to return.
I still love the culture shock bit after 5 years and we still choose to use the tour operator coach. We love seeing other people's reaction to what they see when it is their first time in Goa.

I also think the difference in culture helps me keep things in perspective in my own country - do I really need a new TV or the latest must-have gadget?

Long may Goa remain in my heart - I certainly cannot believe I will ever stop going there.

Candybabe
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.