Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Culture shock!
24 Posts
Its the Poverty & general standard of living, You will come across beggers (many of who come from outside the state and are taught the art, I have watched a mother with very young children who are told when to turn on the tears) the way in which some people live, like the road workers or the sand dredgers they move with the work and live in makeshift lean to tents but they are not unhappy people the children shout and wave to greet us.
Its sometimes difficult to sit there drinking a beer (or soft drink) and move people away who are begging because of the ethics, and the same goes when you look how much you will spend on meals etc but don't be put off, you did not cause the poverty and are making a difference by going and spending your money, we have also decided to do a little bit on our next visit via the Children walking tall.

Goa's attraction is its style and living which includes the poverty it opens your eyes but we certainly found it a positive experience...

Rgds Mids
nothing that anyone can tell you will prepare you, just hold tight for a few days then things will start to appear normalish.
:) Hi, I can remember the first time we went, on the journey from the airport to the resort we saw beggers at the airport, some were disabled, whether or not it was self-inflicted I do not know and some were mothers with children, we were told to ignore them as that is what they come to Goa for, easier said than done :cry: ; there were then those living on the side of the road helping to lay pipes and mending roads, the majority of these were women, occassionally when the transport had to stop little hands would tap on the window and their palms would be held out for money or food.
As you begin to settle in, you find the lads at the hotel sleeping under the pool table on the sunbed mattresses, you hear of the corruption and how people have to offer bribes in order to get the jobs in the hotels, all of which comes as a shock because you are on holiday and everything should be perfect :shock: .
But has you get to know the people and learn more of the culture you begin to see what a proud bunch of people the Goans are, I can remember having a converstation with one guy that had a good job considering, he was a guide with a pre mentioned tour group and he was so proud that through his earning and tips he had been able to add brick walls to his house, he had nothing on credit and everything he owned he had paid for, how many of us can say that with credit cards being offered to everyone left right and centre.
so what you have to remember is that you are going to a very different culture and one that may take a bit of getting use to, but imagine what they would think if they were to come here; I dont have too because I worked with a nurse from Goa who wished that she was back there everyday, she would say, "Yes the money is good but you have no life here, all you do is work to pay the bills, whenever do you take time out for yourself and your family, you are always to tired when you have finished work". whenever our friends out in Goa wish they were in England I remind them that I spend most of my time either at work earning money to get me out there or asleep because I am to tired and stressed.
the kids will love it as will you and you will soom see what I mean.

jayne
When I first took my son to india he was 10 and we went to delhi and stayed with familey out side of the centre, but he loved it and never took any notice of the conditions, soon as he saw some kids playing football he went and asked if he could join them. he played with them for the whole three weeks and had a great time.
You may be shocked when you first arrive and want to go back home but don't sucome get out and about with your husband and get the feel of the place within a day or two your love it like the rest of us.

Peter
Thanks, this info is really good, I hope my kids will realise how lucky they have it! :wink:
ah the culture shock, you certainly know your in india from the minuite you get out of the airport, the ride to the resort is unforgetable, overtaking a scooter which is overtaking a bike overtaking a cow on a blind bend seems the norm after a week, after a day or two you will adore the place and never want to leave. phil
Dear Arl

I echo all the other replies you have had.

On our first trip to Goa, I admit in the first few days I hated it and wanted to come home, that was back in 2000. Sometime during the second week I relaxed, fell in love with the people, culture and way of life and didn't want to come home.

We have returned every Feb since then, we meet up with other regular holidaymakers who we have really got to know, (as they all holiday in the same 3 weeks every year). We also as you will no doubt, meet up also with some of the lovely Goan locals that we now mutual class as good friends. :)

We have over the last 5 years been on many of the excursions which have included many families with young children ( which the whole family really enjoyed).
We have also met the same parties in the many lovely restaurants and bars.

I honestly cannot recall one person or child for that matter saying that they didn't ever end up loving the place. :tup.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip and let us know your opinions and all your experiences on your return.

Have a great holiday

Regards
Ann
:wave
The culture shock...ah yes

The first time I went to Goa I went with two friends who had been before and one other who had never been. I had been warned that when I got there i would think "What on earth have I come to?". I would look in the mirror and think "urgh", I would look at my friend and think "urgh", then go to bed wake up then next morning and see how fantastic the place was. My friend was wrong. From the moment I stepped off the plane I fell in love with the place. :D

The second time I went my parents asked if they could come with me, as I hadn't shut up about the place since I came home. We agreed and we all set off to Goa. I think the culture shock did hit them abit. They had seen all my photos and I had warned them that it can be a shock to start with. They were like zombies the day we arrived, :roll: My brother text me and asked how we were getting on. I thought he would hit the roof with me when we got home cos Mum and Dad just didn't know what to do or say and I was getting quite worried about what to do with them for two weeks. We got to the Hotel and went to our rooms. We went for some short walks and I really couldn't tell what Mum and Dad were thinking. They didn't look too happy or even impressed. I had no sleep that first night worrying about how they were going to cope.

Next day we went to their room to see how they were. They weren't there, we checked the restaurant still no sign. We headed to the beach shack to get some breakfast and have a think about where they could be. They are sat there quite relaxed and telling us all about their adventures of going for a walk on their own for the first time, how they found a nice coffee place and then walked down Tito's road and then came back to the shack for breakfast. I had gone through a sleepless night for nothing. (Still I'm sure i've done the same thing to them in the past!!!) They now love the place and are the ones organising everyone to go back again. Constantly planning when they can fit in a trip to Goa.

Luckily my brother didn't need to have a go at me although not too sure how he felt about having two hippies come home. By the end of the fortnight we even had my Dad sat on the beach wearing beads!!!!

My advice ... Give it a chance you never know what you could miss out on!

MDH
MDH
lovely story! Welcome to HT.
Things aren't always as bad as they seem... Yes there is a culture shock but try to get an idea of the place and their cuustoms before making your decisions. One of the slums we work out in my opinion now is paradise, ok they have only basic food, and no electricity but the good points are

1. Free uncomplicated life
2. Children can play with the simplest of things all day long without getting bored
3. They are generally happy
4. Live in a small attractive surrounding
5. The smallest thing can grab their attention for hours on end as they discover new things
6. School is a pleasure rather than a chore.
7. No fear, they jump from the highest places do dangerous things without any fear...

Compared to England

1. Stressed to the brink
2. Children get bored with their play stations, mobile phones, tv within minutes and say 'I'm bored' - please get a life! :wink:
3. OK, I had a happy childhood pretty much, but I'm sure there's lots who didn't
4. Do we all need that new living room carpet, change the wall paper every 3 months...
5. Smallest things just swept aside...
6. School - definately not a pleasure for many... Could you think of a punsishment being - 'You can't go to school today' - that would never work in the UK, it does here! They love school in the slum.
7. Scared by the siplest of things

Sit back and watch the world go by and see what Goa is really about before making up your mind, most of the time it's just normal people going about their daily lives...

Don't know if I replied really, I wanted to do a good one, but I think I missed the plot... but might be interesting to somebody...
well said Rob so so true
Chilly :D
Yep it was a good one and thanks rob, also MDH lovely post and welcome to HT. :wave
Goin into my town center at a weekend night a seeing all the drunks fighting with the police Thats what i call a culture shock
Sharon
I know what you mean, I came back to England for a months holiday in August (well it was called a 'holiday' - fat chance I had any days without charity work!). The second day I was in England I was in the car and I saw two 14/15 year old kids kicking another kid on the floor, thankfully when we got close they ran off.... England has really gone down hill recently, I feel so much safer in India....
I have a passion for travelling, and have been lucky enough to have travelled to may places where the culture is very different to our own. I think the key thing to remind ourselves is that people on the whole are generally happy with their way of life and we shouldnt impose our norms and way of life on them but should take more time to understand how they live, their aspirations etc etc

Goa like other places is what you make of it, you can winge and moan about this and that and have a miserable time or you can open your mind and absorb a different way of life and culture. Kids ( I have two aged 4 and 2 who travel with us) usually just wanna have a good time irrespective of where they are.

I wouldnt say that Goa is like the rest of India ( they prefer football to cricket for a start), but let me recommend a book which I think is called "No Full Stops" by Mark Tully which you gives you a great insight into this great country.

Im travelling with six other who have never been before and in fact it will be my first time for 13 years, and we know we will have a great time.
Culture Shoch ? It is at first, for all you young feather bedded Brits on your travels. I never ever remember the 40s or the 50s ever being warm, and that was in bed, always hungry. Brick lane East london was worse then Calangute or Candolim, which is up market to East London. Cable street East London was worse then all of the worst in Goa. Believe me its only changed in the last 30 to 35 years. West Hartlepool 1956 men struggling to get 'Sea Coal' for hours to sell at half a Crown for one Hundredweight or 50 Kilos. Thats 12 1/2 p at to-days money. Culture Shoch its not, if ones travelled. We in the UK have come a long way Since 1939 Thank God, but the streests in East London were worse then Calangute or Candolim right up to the 60s. I love Goa and all its up and downs. Just seen this site on HT and Hello to the famous Chilly. Barry
Barry keep away from the hovis bread its bad for you :lol:
or grandad on only fools and horses
sharon
Sharon you are so right " Going into your town centre and seeing all the Drunks fighting with the Police" and thats just the women Sharon.
Was it Chanel 4 that did the program on Drunken Britian? That was bad,
Thats what they show abroad about the UK, made me Gringe when I lived in Australia as the Aussie do like to give it to us. The 'Pride of British women was the unwashed from 'Greenham Common' shown every year in Moscow on the Annaversary or such like, and the 'Drunks of Britian', shown all over the world. Moscow is full of drunks but they are all asleep, all over the place. The Aussies fall asleep and their Women are wide awake, Boy did I love Australia in the 70s and 80s, Great place, Great women. In Japan, never ever saw a Drunk in a Club or Bar, not counting the Brits of course. Why we men and women Fight is beyond me or any one else to figure it out. I see one one Indian Drunk every time in Goa on the Fen Juice but they say he is not the full ticket and every one stops to watch him. Huge fines will stop it, £250 minimum for starter's will make a start. Just a Thought. Back to the Hovis toast and Tea Sharon, God bless keep safe. Barry
Hello Arl

I kept hearing about the culture shock before we went in March. I ended up worrying and really feeling sick before we flew because I thought we were making a big mistake visiting Goa. We absolutely loved it and are going back next March only this time I will be feeling excited.

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.