General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Only my own opinion but wouldn't Portugal be very similar to Spain.
Greece or Turkey would at least be a bit different.
I'm inclined to agree, we have been to Spain and her various Islands about 20 times and the Algarve quite a few times as well and they are pretty similar. I guess it's a matter of if you want to try something slightly different but with the comfort and security of being similar, or taking a chance and going to Turkey, Greece, Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco etc but do a lot of reading first to make sure you are prepared for the differences in culture, cuisine, climate, costs and suchlike if you g for the later options.

Don't know if it's important to you as you might be pool people, but the sea is cold off of the Algarve.
What do you like? Beaches, history, scenery, long walks or water parks? How long a flight and at what time of year? These will all make a difference to where people suggest. Like Del I would suggest Greece or Turkey - but if you want a little further afield Morocco, Tunisia, Cape Verde - comes back to what you want in a holiday.
We like pools, beaches, good food, water parks and such like. Hubby is African so wouldn't go to north Africa like Morocco, Tunisia, Cape Verde ect, well i've been to Hubbys home town ect, heard loads good things about Turkey but thing that puts me off, is the men, they meant to be creeps and after women ect.

Cyprus looks nice but even if i was to go Some where i wouldn't know where to start as in good parts and that. fourms and i would ask loads q's

June/July we normally go, 5 hours mx flight with a 2year old but net year she be 3
I have been to Turkey many times and never had a problem with the men - no jokes here, Del!!! :rofl but then I am of a 'certain' age. The people we have met have been lovely and friendly.

Marmaris might be an idea or Gumbet - but Gumbet doesn't have much of a beach.

We prefer quieter resorts so may not be steering you in the right direction.

Paphos in Cyprus is lovely and has nice beaches in Fig Bay area but there are other people on here who know that are much better than I do.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

:cheers
prawn wrote:

Marmaris might be an idea or Gumbet - but Gumbet doesn't have much of a beach.

:cheers

Gumbet has a lovely beach! its Bodrum that doesnt have much of a beach.
doubt that you would have problems with men in Turkey if you have your husband with you.
A lot of the stories about the Turkish men are exaggerated, it's become a standard line, same as saying that the Germans grab all the sunbeds at 5.00am.
Cyprus is nice, mostly, but maybe issues there at present. I always thought it was a bit overpriced, don't know what the current problems will do to prices.
Hotels in Greece can be fairly basic if you are used to quality hotels in Spain, ditto Turkey, standards are not as high as Spain, that doesn't mean they are poor however. There are of course quality hotels in both Greece and Turkey if you don't mind paying a bit extra.
I recommend you ignore the tales of "creepy Turks" and give it a try !

and Prawn...as if I would !!!
Denny - you are quite right, of course I meant to say Bodrum but the gin got the better of me! :cheers

I did find Cyprus a tad expensive but again it comes down to what you are looking for.
thanks for all your replys, i'll have a browse around and see what we like but now your saying Turkey, i might give it a try...

We like going AL so then we know if our money runs out then we got the hotel food to fall back on ect
If you're thinking of Turkey AI a good hotel that my friend has stayed in is Club Belcekiz in Olu Deniz. Olu Deniz is a fairly small resort with the lovely lagoon beach nearby (this beach is often on the front cover of Turkey Brochures)

http://www.belcekiz.com/
I would say give Turkey a try and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised, we had heard the stories of the men however we decided to go to Turkey (Dalyan) for the first time last year and had a fantastic holiday, everywhere was very clean, the food and service excellent, the people just couldn't do enough for us, we never once observed any problems with any type of sleaze from men towards any woman and a big plus was it is still cheap to eat out and have a drink.

In fact we enjoyed it so much we are going back again for 18 days in 6 weeks :tup

Graham

Dalyan - http://www.flickr.com//photos/flamer999/sets/72157631862979618/show/
MrsAniekwe wrote:
We like pools, beaches, good food, water parks and such like. Hubby is African so wouldn't go to north Africa like Morocco, Tunisia, Cape Verde ect, well i've been to Hubbys home town ect, heard loads good things about Turkey but thing that puts me off, is the men, they meant to be creeps and after women ect.

Cyprus looks nice but even if i was to go Some where i wouldn't know where to start as in good parts and that. fourms and i would ask loads q's

June/July we normally go, 5 hours mx flight with a 2year old but net year she be 3

I think you will be fine if you are with Hubby. Lots of resorts are family orientated anyway, and if you are in an AI you will mainly be dealing with the staff and its in their interests to be professional as they all need and want to keep their jobs. You get exceptions to everything like you do everywhere, but in general I don't think this is a big problem, and wouldn't let it put you off.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.