General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I only ever buy the supermarkets own brand too DR, and your correct, the ingredients are exactly the same. Same as I buy their own brand of antacids too as the ranitidine is the same :tup
Unfortunately people go for the brand name, and do not check the ingredients, in this day and age, you really have got to shop around.
I always buy the own brand medications and save a fortune.
Look how much a tub of Paracetamol costs ,from 19p but but Panadol and it will be much more expensive.
Often you get the best when you are abroad. The best ever ones were in Bali. It was the illest I have ever been and within hours I was feeling so much better.
People swear by the tablets given in Egypt for upset stomachs but I wouldnt take them as they are used by vets here. :rofl :rofl
Thank goodness I have never been ill anywhere except Fuerteventura last March. :tup
I've never ever ever bothered with imoduim dirreheau tablets, I've always gone for the non-branded kind, do the same job :)
Like paceatmel etc :)
Jay Trip wrote:
People swear by the tablets given in Egypt for upset stomachs but I wouldnt take them as they are used by vets here.

I used to work in a veterinary clinic for a few years long before we came to live in Cyprus but I can tell you that during that time none of the clinic staff purchased paracetamol or pain killers, we all took pardale tablets for headaches. Pardale tablets are a painkiller prescribed for dogs, furosemide and millophyline was used by humans and dogs for heart problems at that time too...
I am talking about Antinal.
Its never been used as an antibiotic in the UK for humans for donkeys years! :rofl :rofl
cyprus100 wrote:
Jay Trip wrote:
People swear by the tablets given in Egypt for upset stomachs but I wouldnt take them as they are used by vets here.

I used to work in a veterinary clinic for a few years long before we came to live in Cyprus but I can tell you that during that time none of the clinic staff purchased paracetamol or pain killers, we all took pardale tablets for headaches. Pardale tablets are a painkiller prescribed for dogs, furosemide and millophyline was used by humans and dogs for heart problems at that time too...

Many of the same drugs that are used for mammals are effective on humans, I guess because we are mammals as well.

A friend was desperate to get some periactin (antihistamine), GP wrote the script but said she would be lucky to get it as it had gone out of fashion and been taken over by more modern antihistamines. My friend had used this medication successfully on and off for 25 years and was confident that it was what she really needed.

After we had tried half a dozen chemists between us we found out that vets were still prescribing it for cats, fortunately though before we came up with a cunning plan to get it from the vet we found that one of the big Canadian on-line pharmacy's were selling it (at a price of course :roll: far more than £7.60 or whatever a script costs).
As a nurse for more years than I care to remember I prefer to take up to date drugs instead of ones used by vets. :rofl :
Last month when I picked up my tablets for Blood pressure the pharmacist said one of the tablets was rarely used now so I asked my practise nurse if I could come off it.
She agreed about it being out of date but would have to see the Doctor first.
Hopefully my Travel Insurance premium will reduce too!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.