My trip to Zakynthos (Greece)

As the plane landed at Zakynthos (Zante) airport, I was delighted, as I had never been to Greece before, but I'd heard a lot about it from friends during my visits to Cyprus.

I was heading for Tsilivi, a village just past the main town of Zante. I knew from the brochure that it was the Mavrias holiday village, and that it boasted it had everything that a tourist would require, including a doctor should the need arise. So I decided to look for myself, and being a wheelchair user, I wanted to find out "first hand" how a normally independent wheelchair user would cope in this part of Greece?

But my first stop was a night in the Hotel Esperia in the village of Laganos

Laganos

Hotel Esperia:

We received a welcome by the receptionist, but no smile. We were not shown to our room, but informed that there was a lift, an independent wheelchair user would have problems taking his/her own luggage up to the room, as no porter is available.

The room allocated and the only one available to us was on the second floor

The lift is definitely not wheelchair friendly, as the chair had to be forced in and out of the doorway, which would cause major problems for the independent user.

The doorway into the bedroom was only just wide enough to scrape the wheelchair through, but the room itself, was wide enough for a wheelchair. The bathroom was a completely no go area for the door was not wide enough. The cheerful manager allowed us the temporary use of a larger bathroom in the hotel, until the room was required for other guests that would be checking in at a later date, but for some reason known to the management, we were not allowed to change rooms? Although this bathroom made available to us was larger, there were no grab rails, so assistance would be required.

The dining room was easily accessible and there were no problems.

Outside the front door is as far as the independent wheelchair user can get, as there is a large step up into the main road, and although the staff erected a temporary ramp, it was far too rickety and steep.

Recommendations:

1. Ground floor rooms be made accessible for wheelchair users

2. Larger bathrooms and grab rails be erected in the rooms

3. A permanent ramp should be placed at the entrance of the hotel allowing access and exit to and from the main road.

4. Perhaps the staff could smile occasionally

Laganos Village:

The village of Laganos is very busy, and apparently it is the "west end" of the island where most of the nightlife is. The village itself, although very popular with the younger generation, is definitely not independent wheelchair friendly, and even with assistance, it is extremely difficult to get around. Almost every bar and restaurant or souvenir shop that we saw or visited, had steps. The pavements are a nightmare as they are occupied with locals selling their wares or agents trying to sell trips around the island. As we manoeuvred along the paths and around the budding entrepreneurs, not one person moved to let us pass. It was decided that maybe it would be better to go on the narrow road, but with cars parked on either side, this was very dangerous as it also was very busy, and it meant that we had to be very careful of the speeding motor cycles and cars that appeared never ending.

The beach, although very sandy, and inviting, is also a no go area for wheelchairs.

I found no public toilets in the resort

Recommendations:

1. Wheelchair users stay away

The following morning, we moved from Laganos to Tsilivi.

When my son and I finally arrived at Tsilivi, my first impressions were one of delight at how beautiful the resort was with its multitudes of blooms almost everywhere we looked.

Tsilivi

Princess Hotel:

At the Princess Hotel, friendly, very courteous and smiling staff met us and our treatment was first class. The first problem that I came across was the step leading up to the reception, and I required assistance. When we were shown to our room, I found the short concrete ramp from outside the reception doorway to the passageway leading to the rooms, a little too steep, so I needed assistance in getting the wheelchair up the incline, and noted that I would require assistance all the time up and down this ramp during my 14 nights stay. The hotel staff agreed that should I require assistance to and from my room, they would supply it, at any time of the day or night, free of charge.

Going into our room, I was pleasantly surprised at the wide door and how easily I could get the chair through it without problems. The room itself was large enough for a wheelchair user, but the smile left my features as to my dismay, when I tried to enter the bathroom; I found that the sink blocked it. This meant that I would require assistance to get in and out of the bathroom. I found out that all the bathrooms were of the same design and that there were none larger.

I took a look around the hotel to find the areas where I could easily access, and I found the dining room easily accessible as it was on the flat. I was able to manoeuvre quite easily around the tables.

Outside, I found a large swimming pool, that looked so inviting in the heat, very clean, but unfortunately it was not wheelchair friendly, there was no way that I would be able to get in or out of the pool without assistance or the embarrassment of being carried.

I did find that I could get around the sides of the hotel to admire their beautiful and colourful gardens.

During my stay there, I made two very good friends, Costa's and Catherine.

Although he is hired mainly as a barman/waiter, will immediately stop whatever it is he is doing and help anyone requiring assistance. He is a bit of a comedian, but he does have a serious side. During our talks, he informed me that he has to work seven days a week to provide for his family. Saturday night is usually Greek bar-b-cue night, and on one night whilst I was there, Costa was attempting one of his comedy routines and got one of the female guests to get up on a table with him to do some Greek dancing. A few minutes later, some of the guests took hold of Costa, and in good-natured fun, threw him fully clothed in the swimming pool. He took this in good stead by swimming two lengths of the pool as an encore!

Behind the façade of the barman/waiter lies a highly intelligent and qualified man. During the summer season, Costa works at the hotel, but at the end of the season, from October to April, he is not only a qualified private therapist, but he is also the head teacher at a school for twenty five special needs children with learning disabilities. He ensures that the school runs smoothly, but the top of his list of priorities is ensuring that the children are happy and that they receive the best education available. The school is only open six months of the year, the six months that the school is closed; the children have to return to their families.

By normal Greek standards, Costa is classed as a rich man, as he never has to look for work, it is always available to him, and always has a regular wage to take home.

Personally, I think that his talents would be very useful in the UK, where not only his qualifications as a therapist and a head teacher would stand him in good stead, but he could also help a lot more than twenty five children.

I asked him if he would like to go to the UK?

"One day maybe?" he replied, "but at the moment, I am needed here."

I hope that if he ever does come to England, we will meet up again.

Catherine:

She is a waitress at the hotel and always wears a brilliant smile on her features. Catherine is something of a mystery and does not talk about her private life. She works hard and the smile adorned permanently on her features is an asset to any hotel that she cared to work for. She too, goes out of her way to assist and help people whenever the occasion arises. And although the ramp leading to the rooms is steep, which means it cannot normally be ascended without assistance, Catherine on many occasions rushed over to help me up and down the ramp.

Every time there is laughter around the pool bar, you can be sure that Costa or Catherine or both of them are involved somehow. Although all the rest of the staff were extremely helpful, it is Costa and Catherine who will stand out in my memories.

In general, I found the hotel very clean in all areas, and the staff very friendly and extremely helpful.

Recommendations:

1. Erect a small but not too steep ramp with grab rail, at the reception area

2. Have at least two rooms fully wheelchair friendly by enlarging the bathroom and putting in grab rails.

3. Allow access into the pool by erecting a hoist

Tsilivi Village:

Tsilivi is a complete contrast to Laganos, and has on the most, exactly what it boasts. Almost everything that a tourist would require is in the village, including 24-hour medical assistance. Everywhere the tourist goes they can be assured of a friendly smile or a cheery wave from the local inhabitants. The downside is that there are no public toilets. There are toilets in the bars and restaurants, but they are definitely not wheelchair friendly.

The majority of the bars and restaurants and souvenir shops, have ramps, but these are too steep for the independent user, and the majority of the places that I saw or visited required assistance each time. The majority of the footpaths are clear and have ramps and are assisted wheelchair friendly.

The beach is sandy, inviting, and very clean, but not wheelchair friendly. The sea, when the tide is in, is only a few feet from the road, so this is not too bad.

Entertainment is usually provided by the hoteliers and consists mainly of a "Greek Night," but they do cater for individual birthday party celebrations around the pool.

Recommendations:

1. Erect a public convenience for both able-bodied and wheelchair users.

Tsilivi is definitely a place to visit, where you can have a great relaxing holiday in a very friendly atmosphere.

Argassy:

From Tsilivi, we visited the village of Argassy. Although this too, is a busy tourist spot, there were no public conveniences to be seen.

There is a great theme park on the outskirts of the village centre, with lots to do for the children. Argassy is a tourist village of mostly souvenir shops, and bars that on the majority, don't usually open until the evening.

Recommendations:

1. Erect a public convenience for both able-bodied and wheelchair users.

Argassy is great for a couple of hours visit, but no longer.

Zakynthos (Zante):

Zakynthos, better known as Zante, is the main town on the island, where the majority of the tourists visit to do their shopping for gifts and food stuffs from the many shops and supermarkets situated there. "Zante town" is also one of the main ports on the island for shipping, and ferries for most of the trips around the island leave from here. Although there are plenty of sightseeing trips, the majority are not wheelchair friendly, and the ferries do not appear to cater for wheelchair users.

The town is definitely only for the assisted wheelchair user, as the footpaths are not only high at times, but on each section of a block of shops, there are on the majority steps to encounter. There were no problems in obtaining a meal, as a lot of the restaurants and cafes were on the street, allowing easy access to a table.

We found only one public convenience, and this was next to a children's school, unfortunately it was locked up with a strong chain and padlock. Again the bars and restaurants had toilets, but none that I found were wheelchair friendly.

The seafront offers some wonderful views and restaurants, and is fairly wheelchair friendly as most of it is on the flat. It is a great place for fishing, and it is possible to catch anything from a fish to an Octopus! But it is not recommended that you eat what you catch, as on my visits there, the sea appeared very dirty, with a lot of strange floating material?

There are some great looking museums and churches in this area, but unfortunately, again, they are not wheelchair friendly.

Recommendations:

1. With Zante being a large town, erect several public convenience for both able-bodied and wheelchair users, and allow access to them 24 hours a day.

Zante town is a great place to visit, and looking through the multitude of shops can take a couple of trips, but well worth it for the assisted wheelchair user.

In general, my visit to the island of Zakynthos opened my eyes. During my 14-day stay on the island, I found it very expensive for every day goods and souvenirs. Also on my visits to the different villages, I didn't see one local wheelchair user, assisted or independent? I enquired about this and was informed that there were wheelchair users, but very few, but the majority of them stay at home.

I did find that taxi drivers don't usually have fixed prices; they charge you whatever they like up to a certain point. During "four" trips to the main airport area from Laganos, I was charged four different prices, and in one case I was charged a cheaper price for visiting a village further away than the airport. So it is always wise to confirm the fare to your destination before getting in a taxi.

On the whole, the island of Zakynthos is well worth a visit, but it has a very long way to go before being classed as wheelchair friendly.

Mike Coatesworth