Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
DIY v Package?
34 Posts
As soon as you get back from next holiday, or better still before you go if you can afford it start checking for next year.
Have a look at Aegean flights you can usually get a good deal around June for flight only.

I think DIY is best as you dont have to pay for under occupancy so you could get a nice apartment, you just have to put the work in and shop around.

£1400 seems a bit steep to me, although as you say going in term time so they hike the prices up.

We went to Turkey for a month last year, returned 18th July so in high season, we paid £200 for flights x2, stayed in hotel for one week, then a private apartment the second week, both in Turunc, then two weeks in a hotel in Dalyan, £800 x 4 weeks, return transfer from Turunc to Dalyan £80, transfer from Dalyan to Dalaman airport included in price of last hotel.
Going to Dalyan again this year 25th June, flights £200, hotel 2 weeks x 2 adults £269 including transfer and AC.
Sept one way flights £31 each, April one way £79 x 2 all with Aegean flights.
Have a look at On the beach holidays very reasonable.
The secret is being able to book your flights early We got our flights for this June for £70 each return but only cos we booked them last June. The thing I love about diy is that I can get an 2 bedroomed apartment without ridiculous supplements I can arrange private transfers so no hanging about for the bus and I can go to places that the brochures don't so no mass tourism if I get it cheaper thats a bonus.
HI,
What time of year do you book your flights and who with? I want to fly from Manchester, can it be done from this airport do you think? Any good companies known for flights?

TA
Ruth

P.S. If I can find one I will book. We can only give it a go, nothing to loose!
i booked our flights last june only £70 each and a large 3 bedroom appartment for £500 for 2 weeks this is for 6 people works out at £153 each.
That is really good nutty. Where did you get your flights. I have been looking for aug 09 and they are coming in at £1000 for 3 seats. Not as good as yours! :que

Any ideas of cheap airlines that fly from Manchester?

TA
Ruth
http://www.aegeanflights.com/

That is the airline you need for cheap flights.
flights for 09 arent on offer till I think 11th June 08 but keep checking the site as they will give you priour notice.
I dont think the flights will be as cheap as last year but we will just have to wait till they come online.

Gene
Does anybody know if this operator fly from Manchester or do you go from London? I will keep a look out. We are booked for Aug 09 but could always do a week at easter 09 if that comes up.

Tahnk you
Ruth
Hi Ruth and anyone else that's interested,

Booked my flights for August 30th last year around end of september through aegeanflights got them for £ 105 each, so our holiday in August will have cost 2 x £ 105 = £ 210, room 14 nights B+B with aircon £ 220, transfers £ 50, total cost £ 480.

Just booked flights for end of May, disappointed there had to pay £ 190 each so Mays holiday will cost £ 650.

:wink: Cheers Kev :wink:
I am going to keep looking and hopefully something will come up that I can book DIY next year at maybe Easter time. I will see how it compares to the £1400 :yikes I payed for our package next Aug (09) for 2 adults and 1 child. I know in that price I opted for day flights which were an extra £120. Oh well!

Ruth
Ruth Aegean fly from Manchester and East Midland and the earlier you book with them in theory you should get it cheaper.

Gene
most people are mentioning cheap flights in june or end of aug, i would wonder if anyone has got good deals for exact 6 weeks holiday dates.i work in travel and frequently deal with teachers who must travel in the school holidays ( they cant even take a day off to travel earlier or come back later, something at least us parents with kids can do).
re diy 3 ladies booked yesterdayin our shop to icmeler for end of may for 14 nights . they had originally booked an apartment in resort last year whilst on holiday, with the promise of cheap flights nearer the time, they have searched for ages and even now are getting fares of around £330 pp flight only , adding this to their transfers and apartment cost. it was cheaper to book a late deal package and lose the deposit on their apartment.obviously this is just 1 example .but i think that people travelling in school hols can get a better deal booking early if they have children and get free/reduced places.
Yeah Emso that is us. My partner has just started teaching and the term holidays are so expensive. As you say we can't even go a day before or after the holidays. I am wondering if this is why I can not find any cheap ish deals. I guess everybody wants to go at that time if they have children in school etc.

I think in certain circumstances it is not always cheaper to go DIY. I would be interested to hear from anybody who is a teacher with a family and find out how they go about things. Or even parents who don't take thier children out of school just to go on a 'cheap' holiday. How expensive/cheap do ou find DIY or Package?

Ruth
Well i definatley recommend DIYing but then i generally travel on my own so i avoid those terrible single supplements. I tend to keep an eye on the lfights then book them when i can, accom i call the hotel i normally stay at and book direct.
Sometimes if travelling in school holidays and not booking a year in advance its cheaper and esier to book a package.

Louise

:offtop Hi to all the old timers on here - Is John Toohey still knocking about??
JT is at this moment in Icmeler sampling all the delights this resort can offer.

Gene
Hello Gene

Will John be in Icmeler in May when we are there?

All the years we have been going still not met him :really

He has either just left when we arrive or just arriving when we depart :duh

I know we we be meeting him in Sept/Oct when we are there as we meeting up with Diane and Norman another couple who we have planned to meet and each time missed them by day's.

Hopefully we will see you in May take care

Marion and family x
I also work in school so have to take peak holidays. a few years ago a while looking for a family holiday
and wanting a free child place the travel agent actually advised me to pay for 4 adults in an apartment , and that way it worked out cheaper than having a free child place and the under occupancy supplement , and thats what we done each time after that .

now there are only 2 of us to worry about so not so bothered, but did compare prices for package/diy
for this year and the package worked out much cheaper.

Its my 25th wedding anniversary next year and to fly from my local airport will have to apply for leave of abscense for 1 day , and have to do that now

Lynne
we are a family of 5 who holiday in the main school holidays and I do both . for this year as many have said we booked flights with Aegean flights the week they came out in june and paid £106 each for 1st august, then booked accomodation only with thomson. all in all we have paid around £3700 A/I for 6 of us this year which is roughly what i paid the previous year for a package for 5 and have paid for next year as a package for 5. So to be perfectly honest if we hadnt got those cheap flights we wouldnt of saved anything :( In fact I have gone for a package for next year because I knew the price I got was a good one and it was very doubtful that I could beat it DIY especially as it looks like flights with Aegean for next year wont be as cheap as they were for this year.

I have also managed successfully to save a lot when booking for Egypt DIY last year but again its all dependant on getting a cheap flight which isnt easy for those of us that have no choice but to holiday at school holiday times.

ln
I'm not too sure what to do either. Next year my daughter will be at school so we will have to go in the school holidays and we are looking at going away for the end of May half term. So far the cheapest package I have found is £2,000 for 4 adults and 2 children and the cheapest flights are about £1,600 for us with approx £200 for accomodation so not much difference. I don't know whether to book now or wait and see if I can find anything cheaper... I am going to wait I think until the Onur air flights are released but I don't have too much hope for cheap flights and I don't want to wait only to find they go up... But then again, maybe they will go down... What to do..... :que

Kedi
I've just booked a DIY for two to Ortakent in September. Flying with First Choice, B&B at a small but nice hotel,£10 each per night. And taxi tranfer. all for £550. I don't think that's too bad.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.