Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Package or DIY?
8 Posts
I did it once many moons ago though. My friend and I just got a flight to Crete and found accommodation when we got there ;) There was always lots of backpackers going to Greece and it's islands then though.

I wouldn't do it that way now of course :yikes

:rofl
Not been to Greece for a few years now, this is mainly down to the fact that apart from a few mainstream packages to the large resorts we peasants in the North have no flights available.

In the good old days of independent companies such as Direct Holidays / Direct Greece, Manos, Libra etc and airlines such as XL, Globespan etc going either DIY or even a package to smaller islands and resorts wasn't too difficult.

Unfortunately now apart from a few smaller companies such as Olympic the only option is to go to one of the larger and more popular destinations that the big 2 holiday companies grace us with.

Perhaps one of the lowcost? airlines might look at introducing some flights to other parts of Greece apart from Rhodes, Zakynthos, Corfu, Crete & Kos.
We've done DIY to Crete & Rhodes in the past, didn't find the flight prices too bad, but they do seem to be a bit higher this year, at least for our dates. Hotel wise we've had some great prices , and they seem to be more or less stable at the moment...
its more exciting to go D.I.Y but then some people find it daunting, ive done both and to be honest i prefer package holiday now days, it feels safer then taking chances on booking separate accommodations, especially when its the first time to another country.
Now that Easyjet have started flying to a wider range of Greek airports, the possibilities of DIY are much greater - for example, the flights to Kalamata now opens up the whole of the Peloponnese (and now the motorway is open all the way from Athens down to Kalamata, flying to Athens means the southern Peloponnese is only a four hour drive from there). There are flights to Thessaloniki in the north to consider as well.
I admit that we have more choice from the airports in the south of the UK and that the north is at a disadvantage though :-(

Cheers,
Ralph
Fiona, just something I've noticed - if you're pricing flights on Easyjet, try travelling on a Thursday; for some reason they're often cheaper than other days - for example, Gatwick to Rhodes, end of June, returning 2 weeks later:-
depart Saturday, cost £140.74 pp, depart Thursday, cost £101.74 pp
return Saturday, cost £124.53 pp, depart Thursday £80.53 pp

That represents a saving of £83 per person, just on the first airport/date combo I thought of ... I know it's true for Crete as well (and Egypt, consistently)
very interesting.
Easyjet certainly do have a range of destinations now.
Our first places we went to years and years ago were Tolon and Halkidiki. Nowadays if I headed off to Tolon I would try for a twin or triple centre. Lots to see and do within easy reach.
Midweek is actually the best time for us as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.