Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
It's 12 years since we first went to Turkey and we had our jabs then, and have kept up with them ever since, but only because we have been to other places which have really needed them.
If I was going to Turkey for the first time now I wouldn't have the jabs, especially if you are only going to a resort. Turkey is, in my opinion, quite safe. But it is always best to get professional advice.

Marn.
We have never had any jabs before going to Turkey - but it has to be a personal decision. Have you checked the info. on the FCO website? It lists the recommendations for various countries.
We were recommended by our local surgery last year to have them and did, they were free with our GP so worth a check!
If they are free with your GP as mine are ,have them,you dont know what you can pick up anywhere abroad or even in the UK.
Always reccomended for babies and anyone who has things like diabetes and the likes ,well worth checking if you need them or not.

Bluepeterno1
:cry Best to be safe... than sorry, especially were babies are involved...check with GP.
Just be careful, keep babies in the shade, dont allow them to become over heated, plenty of fluids.
Most of us dont have any problems, i am sure you will all be fine.
Thanks for the replies i think i will go and see the GP .. better to be safe than sorry. :tup
ive been going to turkey for at least 26 years and taking my kids since they were babies, youngest was 6 mths and none of us have had any jabs,my mother lives there and hasnt had any either, i think its mainly if you go out of the holiday resorts into the sticks that you need them. but see what drs say, then make a decision
We've never had them specifically for Turkey but have had jabs the year before last for Egypt so needed to get them done .

If they are free you may as well get them done but it isnt necesary for Turkey. many doctors now make a charge for adults though.

lyn
Is it the same ones Lyn, Hep A and Typhoid ? plus the DTP that we need for here anyway ?
Am i right in saying the jabs last for 10 years?
Think so Gunny, if you have the booster. Infact the nurse at my surgery said that off the record one of them lasts for 20 years trouble is I can't remember if it's the hep A or the typhoid one.
Ive never had any jabs...dont think its necesary, they are available just think its a personal choice.. :think
I lived in Turkey and I never had any vaccinations, I took my daughter over when she was 8 weeks old and she had all her baby injections there and they only have the same as babies do here. In resort you don't need to have them and I am always wary of giving babies injections they don't need.
It's different living in a country than visiting for a two week holiday. For example I have been to Kenya & Tanzania and taken antimalerial drugs, whereas Kenyan's don't take them as a preventative as they cannot be on them for their whole lifetime.

It's not relevant what a resident of a country does in comparison to someone visiting for two weeks a year. It is initally to boost your immunity during those two weeks. It's also to stop people from bringing illness and disease back into the UK which then is detrimental to the population of the UK in general.

Most vac programmes are aimed at babies. The DTP in the UK has been one of the most successful vaccination programmes ever wipping out Diptheria, Tetnus and Polio and is given at 4 months, 5 months and 6 months old.
Must agree with all you have said doepsmc.

Bluepeterno1
hi All,
It's a personal thing, but i've personally been going to Turkey for 15 years and never had any jabs, oh and so has the wife, family, grandaughter that is now 16, and all my friends...

:wink: Kev :wink:
I don't suppose you do. That dosen't make it right for me and my family though, if I choose to take a more responsible approach.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.