Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I definately think it was quieter this season than previous ones.
i disagree with next year being quieter have you seen how expensive it is to go to a european country ! more people will be ignoring spain and greece etc and travelling outside the eu for the bargains and considering its no more expensive to get to non eu countries and there are big savings when you/we get there it would be mad not to :tup
Off course it is quieter at the moment, the pound is down 15% or more against most currencies , interest rates down to 0.5%, Houses been repossessed in the UK at record levels, car manufactory's and banks laying off people left right and centre, unemployment at new twenty year highs, £40 surcharge to leave a UK airport, Airlines going bust and flights cancelled or consolidated via places you don't want to go.

Still to come... Taxes going up to pay for the banks, Council tax increases to cover money lost in Iceland, utility price rises because they can and don't forget the budget, extra for cigarettes, beer, wine, petrol and VAT

In the present climate you have to very lucky to be able even think about going on holiday anywhere but India and Goa have added to the UK woes with new Visa problems, enforcing shack rules and inapt terrorist precautions over Christmas last year

I think Easter will still be busy but hate to think about next year for any holiday destination as the price will be up by at least 20% unless tour operators can cut corners.

GGG is right India is cheap once you are here compared to euroland, as long as flight costs do not get out of hand Goa should survive some of the down turn

I am normally an optimist

Me
We went to Candolim Dec 1st for 2 weeks and it was EXTREMELY quiet - a lot of days there was just me, my daughter and husband in our chosen shack -(towards Fort Aguada end). The sellers were banned but tried to operate 'undercover'. Most restaurants were half empty/empty. We returned for 2 weeks commencing 21 Feb 2009 and we thought it was much busier. The shack was full almost everyday and there was twice as many sellers. A lot of the restaurants were busy too so not all together a bad scenario for the locals. Visited Calangute for a day and it was manic (to us anyway!) Yes, prices may have increased there but on the whole we found it an extremely good value for money holiday. As we already had our visas, we were very lucky to get fantastic flight prices and accommodation. All being well, we shall do 2 visits again season 2009/2010. If you get good prices to get there - spends are much better than euro zones!!! :cheers
i disagree with next year being quieter have you seen how expensive it is to go to a european country

I think the boutique hotels charging 7000RS would be having a major hard time. Those on the low end 500 - 2000 RS probably wont get too hurt.

It was VERY quiet all of November.

Got sick of all the 'locals' moaning although seemed to be a major amount of out-of-staters mainly complaining.
goingoingoa wrote:
i disagree with next year being quieter have you seen how expensive it is to go to a european country ! more people will be ignoring spain and greece etc and travelling outside the eu for the bargains and considering its no more expensive to get to non eu countries and there are big savings when you/we get there it would be mad not to :tup

I disagree,next year will definitely be quieter than this season,which to be honest has been a disaster for Goa.I live here all year round and approx 50% of people who come here regularly will not return next season.Goa is pricing it self out in the Asian market,due to high hotel prices more than anything.Also next year you will find there will be a lot less charter flights coming here, especialy from the Uk as tours companies who have been flying half empty planes and will merge their flights together.

John
December/ Jan was very quiet in Benaulim, the night before I left to come back to England i walked the full length of Benaulim beach, I passed over 20 shacks and counted just 50 people( thats not counting the armed soldiers) by 9.30 there was only 6 shacks left open and 3 of those were empty, I saw Indians(not Goans) fighting over custom( yes,fist fights), if it does get any worse, perhaps they will stop coming from all over India to make thier money, and Goa will be returned to the goans
It was very quiet for 2 weeks from the 5th Dec and we loved it that way. Bring it on I say. I will definitely try to get there this year just because it was quieter.
It was most def. quieter this year, someone earlier mentioned armed soldiers , hope We never have to rely on Them to stop any terrorists as they looked the most inept crew I,ve ever clapped eyes on, however the reason for the lower figures are surely (as the Goans put it not Me) too many Indians plus nothing is being spent on the infrastructure, We end up just going to the same bars/shacks every year, it is becoming very repetitive although We will continue to go a lot of people We know have said They have had enough and will be looking to go elswhere in future. :sun2
I can't comment on how quiet it was this season , as I was unable to be there :( , but I think that if anyone is finding it," Too Repetitive ", they would be best finding another destination.
x lassi
Lassigirl I am constantly looking for new ventures but the reason I/We keep going back is because We know/have met so many nice/friendly people that We are drawn back year after year, but thanks for pointing out the obvious anyway . Cheers :sun2
It might have been quiter early in the year but tonight Baga was manic.

We left our car near Sea Breeze Cottages and went and had a meal with freinds getting back to the car about 12.30Am, it then took an hour to get out of Tito's Road. The place was just heaving.
Domestic tourists mostly? It is Shigmo week-end holiday and my friend tells me the roads are full of Indian 4x4's.
I think the reason it may have been a bit busier Jan/Feb is that most of the people we spoke to were repeat visitors who had booked their holidays in early 08. There were quite a few Indian tourists while we were there who had travelled to Goa for the various festivals that were on while we were there, I know the Banana Festival was fairly busy..... Keith
One of the bigger hotels, The Goan Heritage, has started taking in Indian short stay package tourists. In previous years they didnt start their programme for this, till May but the lack of foreign touristd have meant they are looking anywhere to make uo the shortfall. Alan
I was there back in December and found it quieter than previous years but still loved it just as much :D Hope prices don't go up too much for next season as I'm going back for 3 weeks.
Found it a lot quieter end of Jan and 1st two weeks of Feb. Certainly for Brits, I think the Russians tend to stay back at their hotels of an evening.
I had a phone call from Irishcolleen the first day she arrived (Sunday). She was at Calangute Beach and said the place was very, very quiet.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.