General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi margaretcarroll - I know both my sister & myself can't allow ourselves to get too excited before we go away, as it would lead to some unpleasant days before departure. I don't have an explanation for it either, as I love going away. I am a person who likes a routine of sorts, so perhaps that's what it is, as there's so much different things to do before we go away. I'm going away on Friday - not that far, but am already thinking about all the things I want to do before going. I wish I could be like hubby, whose attitude is - it'll still be there when we get back :duh
Hi Margarettcarol,
funnily enough I get nervous prior to my holiday too. Although my overriding emotion is excitement, I can feel the nerves kicking in. I think I'm afraid something will go wrong or I'll be ill, resulting in the much awaited and planned for holiday turning into a disaster. I don't know why because everything's gone to plan in the past. There's not much advice I can offer really, apart from make sure you're ready well in advance. There's nothing worse than rushing around doing last minute things to put you on edge. Also, try to focus on what you're looking forward to most. In my case that is relaxing on a sun drenched beach.
i think its because before the holiday we are in control of everything in a funny kind of way ie packing arranging the money. transport to the airport sorting the house out ect.... but once we have done all that and got to the airport we know the rest of the holiday is in someone elses hands and what ever happens we are not in total control.

i'm probley wrong though :tup
i'm probley wrong though

I think you're probably right, Littlelegs. I'd never thought of that. I admit to liking being in control (to put it mildly) so maybe that's the explanation for the slight unease.

For me, I'd say the nervousness disappears as soon as I've checked in at the hotel.
Completely agree with littlelegs and shirleyh on this. I feel that I have full responsiblity for everything - from research, booking hotel/flights/transfer, arranging currency, buying all the holiday items, doing all the washing and ironing and packing the cases.

I can control all of this and focus on what I need to do, but on the day of departure I am incredibly nervous!!!! I worry about everything- will we get to the airport on time, have I got the passports (bag checked several times even while in the car on the way), will the flight be delayed, will we get picked up at the other end, will the accommodation be ok etc etc. I don't relax until I have reached my room, dumped the cases and headed out for a stiff drink.

I don't know if this is a female thing because we are so often in charge of everything and feel so responsible. I know my hubby is never nervous - he assumes that I have done everything required, and he just needs to drive us to the airport.

Don't start me on getting nervous about the journey home, and this is after doing dozens of trips over the past 30 years!!! :rofl
My hubby's the same as yours - he doesn't need to worry as he knows I'll have gone over all the arrangements with a tooth-comb (more than once lol).

Don't start me on getting nervous about the journey home, and this is after doing dozens of trips over the past 30 years!!!

funnily enough, although I'm never ready to return home I don't get nervous about it. However, I do have to make sure all the packing's done the day before.
It's the night before the return journey that I get the most worked up. Perhaps I just start worrying about what will await me when I return :think
your right helen its also the return worries aswell, i hate turning into my street on my return and hoping i do not see my outside house alarm strobe light flashing.
Our holiday to New Zealand in Jan '07 was almost a non starter, I started getting migraines at New Year (I've always had them but these were constant flashing lights) I spent the next 2 weeks back and forward to my GP who was fantastic!!, totally calm and considerate whilst I was panicking. He tried me on a few different treatments every few days which isn't ideal but there was no time for anything but that. About 4 days before we travelled I finally got the treatment which helped and managed to get away. Whilst on holiday everything was perfect with no migraine at all.
I know that I get migraine when stressed and I was totally stressed out. I still get them but now have this treatment as a standby in case they get bad again. It is a tablet which you have to take every day and is only effective for a few months at a time but I've only needed them twice since.
We're going to Canada next June and I really would like it to go smoothly especially the build up to the holiday - but how can I stay calm and unstressed???
I'm leaving on sunday , and even though i am looking forward to my hols i dont want to go , i know i will be fine when i get to the airport , but when they call the flight thats when i get all panicky . I have only been like this since the children dont come with us , i hate the thought of them being left behind , and i'm not there if they need me or something , you would think they are babies but at 25 and 18 they are capable of looking afterthemselves .
i hate the thought of them being left behind , and i'm not there if they need me or something , you would think they are babies but at 25 and 18 they are capable of looking after themselves .

Lindy - I'm afraid that's a mum thing, & I don't think you ever grow out of it. I'm still the same & mine are 28 & 30 and both married :yikes . My daughter went away on Monday & I made her promise that she'd text once she'd landed, so I knew she was safe. What I was expecting to do if something had happened I don't know. :que I also feel the same on return. I wonder if something's happened while I'm away & they didn't want to spoil my holiday by telling me - stupid eh :duh
I think having to clock watch doesn't help. What time shall I set the alarm? What time shall we leave? What does the traffic report say? What time is check in? What time will the boarding gate show etc?
I'm afraid that's a mum thing, & I don't think you ever grow out of it.

Absolutely true! And mine are 33 and 31 - and now there are grandchildren to worry about too!
I think all mums are the same,mine are 37,35,33 and the youngest who still comes with us is just 16,I know they won't want to spoil my holiday so worry every time I come home that something will have happened.On a lighter note both hubby and son have packed their own cases for the first time ever,do I hope they have everything and worry about it or do I repack for them? :que
Being a Mum and and always get worried too, that everything is packed, I think I would (I know I would) discretely check both their cases :rofl
Hi
Glad it is not only me who gets nervous. Been reading your replies and I think I get nervous because I worry about the alarm going off, taxi arriving on time, massive queues at airport( not good with queues tend to avoid the at all costs) delays, once I have booked in I am calm until we land and have to find the right bus, then I worry that the apartments will be ok all throught the transfer journey :que I sound a right one dont I?
On being a mother, my daughter is 33 married with a daughter 2, I worry about them all the time never mind on holiday :yikes
M
Will be off myself in a little while, so have a great holiday, & try not to worry too much.
H ave checked their cases,added some bits,only have 2 daughters,one son and 9 grandchildren to worry about while I'm away,I look forward to my holidays but miss them all and stress in case they need me so I'm not nervous about the holiday,more about the return.We leave home about 5;30 this evening for a week in Turkey.T.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.