Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dona Alcina
114 Posts
Hi
this was discussed in an earlier post titled 'Nizmar going all inclusive' about a week ago.

In fact I pointed out that, according to the Thomson website, 2 weeks AI at the Dona Alcina in Nov 2007 was cheaper than 2 weeks at the Phoenix Park or Alor Grande on a B&B basis.

Polly
PPC is the Dona Alcina that bad :shock: as ive never stayed there. Stayed at the Phoenix Park and didnt rate that much (IMO)
Hi Gemma
I don't really know why the Dona Alcina has pitched their AI prices lower than the other nearby hotels for B&B.
Seems a strange business decision to me.

We've never stayed at the Dona Alcina but we did stay in the Dom Franscisco a couple of years ago when it was joined with the Dona Alcina and before it changed its name to Alor Grande.
The DF was probably the worst place we've stayed in (compared to the Victor Exotica, Magnum and Valentine's Retreat).

We've never stayed in the Phoenix Park, but I've seen some reviews and thought it was one of the better places to stay.
Polly
I know the location of the Dona Alcina and as other people have said its surrounded by so many good restaurants, so I wonder if going AI will be a success .... time will tell I guess.
Its only my opinion about the Phoenix Park, and yes it is supposed to be one of the better hotels in Candolim, so its pretty scary :shock:
A bit :offtop I know but the Victor Exotica looks nice, fancy maybe trying there one time.
we went to dona terezhina in jan. this hotel was All inc, however we only went as it WAS cheaper than b and b. we only had breakfast and a couple of drinks at pool after the beach. as most rooms only accomodate 3, all other hotels for b and b said we needed 2 rooms which would cost £3300, we went all inc for £2100 so big saving! thats for 4 of us!
Gema
we stayed at the Victor Exotica in Feb 2002 on a B&B basis, before it went fully AI.
We thought it was a lovely hotel and would like to return but, unlike Sammy's experience with the Dona Terezhina, it's always been much, much more expensive than any of the B&B places that we've used.
We just don't consider paying the AI premium that the Victor Exotica charge worth it as we would only have breakfast and maybe a couple of beers, so wouldn't get our money's worth of free food and drink.

Polly
I agree with PPC re the Victor exotica, but even there , there are some rooms which are not very good.
I suppose that the temptation for hoteliers to go All Inc is that if they can sell the rooms on that basis then they have sold the food even if no one eats there, and if no-one eats there , then no one drinks a lot there. So in that case they sell the food and drink and only have to provide half of it .
As each year somes to get busier in Goa , I suppose that there are enough "goa virgins" to keep the all inc hotels busy at least for the next few years.
del
Sorry,just cannot understand why anyone would fly all that way to stay in an all inclusive hotel.Could understand it in jamaica or some carribean resorts that stupid Americans have driven the prices out of the average Brits price range but in Goa not only are there dozens and dozens of top eateries and bars the prices are for nothing.

Maybe if you were a first timer but once you have been once surely not.Expect to get lots of flack for this but all this trend can do is send goa downmarket and attract even more louts than are appearing.

regards

Papa
We booked for this hotel last november.....
AI for Xmas 2007 flying on 22nd december from birmingham for 2 weeks costing £1823 for the 2 of us with Portland. It was cheaper than most BB for the same time period. Even flights alone are going to cost nearly as much this AI holiday.
Reading the reviews the hotel is not up too much but with an open mind we will use this hotel and the surrounding area cafes and bars and enjoy our xmas break.
That sounds a good deal. The Dona is either very good or b***** awful, try and get your accomodation at the front of the hotel - rooms are far superior. The gardens are lovely and well cared for and the pool area is nice. Best part is the central location. At the end of the day you get what you pay for, luxury no, but a great location.
We stayed at the Dona Alcina Christmas 2006 and found it more than adequate. Our first room was at the back of the complex and although it was a little small it was ok.

We asked to move rooms a couple of days later as there was a dog barking constantly at night. They moved us (even though it wasn't their dog) with no problem at all. We were moved to a large suite opposite the hotel reception - they moved everything for us as we were on a trip.

The room was cleaned to a high standard, the bedding was fresh, the shower worked with hot water on demand and overall we were very happy.

We didn't eat at the hotel. Our only criticsm of the DA was the entertainment every night until around 2300-2330. It was very loud and bad - 3rd rate karaoke singers!

The staff were really friendly, reception staff good and laundry excellent.

We would go back to the hotel, but we have found an apartment for our trip at Christmas 2007
Well you get what you pay for. IMO the Dona Alcina is long in need of upgrading or even knocked down and re-built.

Pro's

1. Located near the beach and a lot of restaurants.
2. Bedding was changed regularly

Con's

1. Rooms were very hot, aircon would have helped.
2. Appeared to be a lot of mosquitoes around.
3. Had the atmosphere of a prison camp
4. Rooms were dusty, very very basic
5. What's that smell?
6. Awful entertainment

I've been to Goa 7 times and this place is the worst I have stayed in. I know people say it's basic and limited. But since Goa is now a major tourist destination whoever owns this place should do something about the state of things.

Another thing is that the photo's on their web site do not look anything like what the real DA is. Maybe the rooms looked that good 20 years ago!

Avoid like the plague. DO NOT book a package holiday here unless it is really cheap. Be prepared to move (I did after a week).

Met quite a few others at the DA who moved after a few days.
The taxi drivers in Candolim call the Dona Alcina "Alcatraz". That says it all! My inlaws stayed on the ground floor where there were bars on the window and they said when they opened their curtains on their first morning there was a beggar waiting for them! Security not good at all.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.