Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
I used to rep on the island and lived at the Doreta for a while (in my youth, unfortunately a while ago!).
If you enjoy Tholos i'd say Doreta Beach is a good place for families. The standard of the rooms are adequate but they are not fantastic, however this seems the norm for most large hotels on the island. Having said that the public areas are very pleasant and well maintained and this is where you'll probably spend more of your time.
B&B or self catering is the best option here as (particularly if you've previously eaten at other restaurants in Tholos) the food in the restaurant is definitely nothing to write home about. It's certainly not the worst hotel food i've had but not above average.
Reviews for most accommodation are very varied but if you've already seen the Doreta and decided to book from that i can't see you having any major problems :sun
stayed here in june 2002. we went self catering in a studio so cant comment on the food, overall a nice hotel but the one thing that spoilt it for us was the main pool had no shallow end for the kids.i think the depth started at 5ft, as a family we like to play games with the kids in the pool but we couldnt do that because the pool was far too deep. its a lovely large pool, but it seems strange thats its so deep!!

mandy 8)
my family and i have been there 3 times its a good hotel food there is good varied choice so should always find something to eat kids have own section in dining room for food chips beans chicken nuggets etc but can use adults section food if they like the entertainments staff are very friendly with ROB been the leader and a complete nut job its a family hol and a family hotel good fun and you would enjoy it im sure
i done the diy hol here twice before and saved a lot of money dont bother with coach transfers the taxis are outside the airport loads of them and its a set fare of 10 euros to the hotel and you will be there in 20mins max
We've been twice. Originally saw the brochure pics and liked he look of the place. Went, kids loved it and wanted to go back.
Loads for them to do - organised games etc. Food on the AI package can get a bit repetitive, but it's fine. Beach is stoney and you'll need shoes (probably burn your feet without anyway). The sea is OK, but this coast tends to be a bit windy so it's never very clear for snorkelling and the like. Also the wind often means the pedaloes are not in use - they'd end up at the airport! As you'll know Tholos is on the final approach into Rhodes so the planes come over quite low.
Evenings you have the choice, bingo and entertainment (from the on-site team) in the bar, or a long cold drink at the beach bar or even on the beach watching the stars - enjoyed that.
It gets quite crowded, and there can be lots of kids running riot. Blame the parents. Also sunbeds can be a problem - you'll find peope out at 6am to place their towels - specially around the pool area.
Hello,
I am going to the Doreta Beach in first week of June and have been told that the air conditioning in bedrooms is only activated on 16th June. Does anyone know if fans be hired? I'm sure it can get pretty warm in the evenings!

Cathjavascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
You turn the aircon unit on yourself - unless they disconnect the wiring.
Problem is you have to put your romm key fob in a slot to turn the power on in the room.. so can't leave it on while you are out. A bit of card or an old telephone card fixes that though.
You turn the aircon unit on yourself - unless they disconnect the wiring.
Problem is you have to put your room key fob in a slot to turn the power on in the room.. so can't leave it on while you are out. A bit of card or an old telephone card fixes that though.
Thanks for the reply.What kind of temperatures can I expect in Rhodes around beginning of June?The reason I ask is that I have heard some people say it doesn't get higher than 25 C, others say high 30 s!
It depends on where on the island you are (and a little bit down to luck i guess!). Tholos is on the cooler, west coast of the island so even if the temperature did go above 30 it would feel more comfortable due to the cooling breeze. All temperatures/weather reports are taken from Rhodes Airport (which is on the same coast) so if you get a weather report before you go it should be fairly accurate.
Thanks for that! Looking forward to it now!
i am also going to doretta beach hotel in june,
hi all
my girlfriend and myself are off to the doretta beach hotel staying all inclusive, flying from birmingham 1 june for one week, we booked with media travel, any ideas on what to see and do
many thanks russ
Hi,
Doreta Beach is a nice enough hotel though quite family orientated (but as you're going pre school holidays, shouldn't be too bad). The beach isn't up to much but there's a good sized pool area.

There isn't a great deal to see locally in Tholos, though the old village (walk down to the petrol station, turn left) has a couple of great, traditional tavernas.

The local bus (travelling North) will get you to Trianda, where you can take a taxi up to Filerimos Monastery for fantastic views of the coast. This bus goes on to Rhodes Town with it's Medieval Old Town, Mandraki Harbour and lively New Town. You can take a bus South from Tholos to Ancient Kamiros, the best preserved ancient city on the island and just downhill, the beach at Kamiros is the best on the west coast (and surprisingly quiet).

Hiring a car for a day or two gives you alot more options but if you're thinking of taking an excursion then Lindos is not to be missed and the boat trip to Symi is a great day out.
Hi, ive been to the doreta beach hotel twice, absolutely loved it! Hotel, food, entertainment all great, the bar staff on the inside bar are all very entertaining, we didnt venture out on many trips, we did go to turkey for the day which is about £30 each and you have to pay a £10 visa each, trip is well worth it, turkey has a great indoor market with over 1000 shops. I shopped til i dropped and got some great designer clothes, shoes and bags, and had a good result with an 18ct gold diamond ring! paid about £260 for it and when we got back had it valued at over £500. Say hello to the bar staff for me ... Im Mel the lady who loves black russians (the drinks that is!!!)
Have a great time
Mel :P
hi all,
many thanks for ideas and suggestions, not long until we go,
will post reviews when we get back
many thanks russ
My friend stayed in here just the other week for our Wedding (which was in Lindos :lol: ) and I picked him up from their. He says it was a great place, right on the beach, food was decent and a lot to do.

Have to admit it did look very very nice from what I saw. Seemed to be totally dominated by Brits.

FD
After holidaying in Zante for the past 6 years, we have booked to stay on an all inclusive deal at the doreta beach on 7th september. I have been reading some of the reviews on it and i am feeling very apprehensive to say the least. I am not too worried about the entertainments part of the holiday as we will make our own fun if need be, but what is worrying me is the fact that people have mentioned on here that the food is disgusting. We are traveling as a party of 4 - two adults and two litle boys. Is the doreta really as bad as what people are saying? Look forward to hearing any replies.
also forgot to mention that having been to Greece on several occasions, we know what to expect in terms of basic accommodation. Also we don't mind what some people may regard as tacky kids entertainment because we have kids ourselves. What worries me is the fact that even though we have paid to go all inclusive, will we need to take money to eat out at night because the food is that bad?????
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.