Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Drinking water
20 Posts
Providing the drinking water is drawn from a potable source ( a tap marked drinking water) then it is safe,,HOWEVER the natural water on Cyprus dose contain far more minerals and metallic elements than most Brits on holiday are use to, the worse it will do is give you galloping dhyrer, that is why most holiday reps recommend bottled water for drinking, as for taking water direct from a stream you will be taking the same risks as you would in the uk... if near farming area pesticide/fertilizer residue or even contamination by animal sh*t..
water in 4 lt bottles is relatively cheap from main supermarkets

wizard
Is it a private rented apartment or in a hotel-apartment ?

The reason I ask is that most (all?) of the private ones will have 3 taps in the kitchen - Hot, Cold and Drinking.

The hotel-apartments usually have only the two - Hot and Cold. The real reason the reps tell you not to drink the water (whether they realise or not) is that water from both of these taps comes from the tanks on the roof.

The water from the Drinking Water tap, however, is direct from the mains and is perfectly safe to drink.

Ady
In 22 years of drinking tap water in Cyprus I have never been ill! It is better than most supplies in UK. My husband used to work for a water company in UK so he knows it is good. The only exception is when hotel water is stored in tanks. Then guests are usually told not to drink it.
When the water is stored in tanks, do you have to climb on the turret and use the gun like a giant straw?

(sorry couldn't resist) :lol:
Only on the army bases!
Water for drinking is perfect straight from the tap..if you have a tap, some hotels do not!
Hi bellavista

The tap water in Cyprus is absolutely fine for drinking. And remember that if you do buy bottled water, you will have absolutely no idea of how long it's been in the shop.

By the way, have you ever tried spelling 'Evian' backwards :wink:

Regards,
Nigel wrote:
you will have absolutely no idea of how long it's been in the shop
Or which tap it came out of! :shock:

Mark
Yep. Water from the proper pipes/taps is fine by all accounts and my own experience of a couple of years back.

Regarding mountain water. I've survived on stream water in the UK before just fine, AS LONG AS YOU PUT A PURIFYING TABLET IN THE BOTTLE WITH IT.
Thanks everyone for your opinions . It 's a hotel apartment that we're going to, so I think I'll ask at reception about the water supply before buying any bottles. Think I'll give the mountain spring water a miss though, and stick to the village wine!
someone after my own heart, the processed water ( Keo Beer is excelent) so is the Kokino krassi (red wine) also had good reports on the aspero krassi (white wine) but dont drink it myself

wiz a r d (hic)
that is why beer was made originally.. to give safe drinking water..
Hi Wizard,

> the processed water ( Keo Beer is excelent)

Ah yes, Cyprus' chemical weapon of mass destruction 8)

(I'm currently in UK, enjoying a decent pint of Bass)

Cheers,

Nigel (aka EPHMH)
That is very unfair Nigel, only wimps get out of Cyprus when the heat is on....looking for a cheap ticket myself, leave this to those who can stand it.. :wink:
Water is absolutely fine in Cyprus - tastes a bit "tinny" but will not upset stomach. Best bottled water is Arctic. Ladies will appreciate the condition of hair once washed in Cyprus water - absolutely fantastic
So will your liver, please don't buy that bottled stuff, it's a waste of effort and money, as long as you have a small tap on your downstairs sink this will be fine, and the taste, it is lovely..far better than that awful stuff you put up with in the UK, and safer!! 8)
My liver doesn't like any water it messes up my alcohol system... :lol:
Hi Jim,

> looking for a cheap ticket myself

Are you a strong swimmer ?

Cheers, Nigel
I've just purchased a T-Shirt to wear while in Cyprus, it says "Save Water... Drink beer".... thought it was very apt after comments on here... :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.