Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Never driven the road (too far from Central Scotland as an 'only' driver) but can only give my experience from the coach trips, and to be honest, the road from the Autopista (junction 6 i think!) is ok - yes they are all single track roads, but it only really take 15-20 mins to reach the site, so i wouldnt be too worried :)
EEK I couldn't even imagine driving there (not a driver) which is why we always go by coach and you can (with siesta) do a Disney stop over. I don't think it would be any more expensive than driving as with the Disney stop over the over night hotel is included. Let the bus drivers navigate the roads why you sit back and watch the scenery.
Hi Tim, Would just like to say me and my husband (both drivers) and 4 children have driven to Castell Montgri in 1999. We have also driven to Italy where the roads were much worse. We are driving again to Castell Montgri in August but having 2 stops going down and 2 stops coming home giving us more time so not so much of a rush. The roads themselfs are not much different to ours and only takes about 20 mins from the boarder to get to Castell Montgri. Just remember which side of the road to be on. Hope this helps Lynne.
Thanks for the replies.

FAO: Lynne
If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts en-route are you planning your stopovers?
We would be driving down from Yorkshire, and are considering a 6am start for a lunchtime channel crossing. The plan would be to drive for about 6 hours to get near Lyon for about tea time for the overnight hotel. Also, I have been unable to find any hotel rooms which could accommodate all six of us, so it looks like booking 2no. triple rooms. Do you know of any hotels which have 'super size' rooms.

Regards,

Tim
hi Tim, We will be driving from south wales catching the euro tunnel at 9am so we are staying in dover for the night to have a fresh start from france. We paln on driving for about 300 miles per day because as I said we are having 2 overnight stops. We will be doing the same comig back having 2 overnight stops and staying in dover overnight when we get home. Did it with 1 stop last time but with the 4 kids it was a bit too much. Sorry dont know of any place with big rooms but the formula 1 hotels are pretty good with 3 to a room with own shower at 39 euro a night per room. There are plenty of them around and if you look on the net for formula 1 it tell you exactly where they are so then you can work it out from there. Hope this helps Lynne.
Having driven down to L'Estartit about 17 times (14 as a "back seat driver" and 3 as the only driver) I guess I've experienced the journey from both your and your kids' perspective. It is do-able with a single stop (have even done the journey back to south wales in a single run), but if you want to take things leisurely and avoid the kids getting too bored, then I'd recommend 2 stops on the way down. We have stayed in "Etap" hotels, which are normally very close to the motorway junctions and are very reasonable (rooms have a double bunk bed).

Once you cross the France-Spain border, it is about a 50 minute run to Estartit, leaving the A7 motorway at Junction 5 and following signs for L'Escala then Torroella de Montgri / L'Estartit. And it's quite a nice drive on fairly straight roads with not many idiotic drivers to come across - so you should have nothing to worry about. And the good thing about having a car with you is that you can do plenty of exploring while you're out there - so enjoy!
Thanks for the replies again.

We're definitely gonna give CM a go, heard some very good reports about the place. We've done Vilanova Park :( , Sanguli :D :D , and Cambrils Park :D :D on the Costa Dorada in the last 3 years, but would like to try out a different coast this year.

Will probably break the journey down with 2 stopovers going there, and 1 hotel stopover and a few days at Disney on the way home.

We stayed in an Etap hotel in Dunkirk last year, will probably try them again!

Regards,

Tim
You will love the site, and so will your kids!

Very rarely have i ever read a bad review from people who didnt like it! :)
Have driven to the Costa Brava three times in recent years. 1st time with one overnight stop. We were left with a Lyon to CB run on a saturday. Not advisable due to high levels of traffic.

Next twice we did it with 2 stops. The Friday night stop was at Perpignon. This gives you an early start before the traffic builds and even better a nice run along the coast on the corniche road rather than the motorway. Stop for a coffee along the way and still be where you need to be by lunchtime.

First 2 stopper we stayed at Lyon and Perpignon last time we did Clermond Ferand and Perpignon. Staying a C-F gave us a great run on the A75 across the viaduct du Millau and through the mountains.
Coming back we stayed at Avignon, then a few nights with friends at St Etienne followed by an overnight at Calais before getting the ferry.

We usually use Formule 1 or Etap hotels.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice, we have booked today with Keycamp, 7 nights at CM on 12th Sept, 3 nights at Berny Riviere site to take in Paris on the way back.

Can't wait to go!
Im thinking of driving to tossa de mar from the london area beginning of August this year, im staying at the can marti site, its only going to be myself with my 16 year old son on the journey, and was hoping to do it with one stop, I would like to arrive in Tossa at approximately 1500 hours the next day, any tips ideas?? its about 800 miles to tossa from calais, I would have thought on the french motorways paying the tolls doing 400 miles per day this would have been easily achievable?????
Hi , we always drive to Spain and this year went to Castell Mongri . Got
the fast craft from Portsmouth to Caen and drove to Le Mans , then on
to Limoges but stopped just before then for a night stop, French service
stations are great . From Limoges to Cahor , down to the Spainish boarder. Good drive on the way down but cross winds were bad on the
way back . More interesting than getting a flight and being stuck at an
airport . Have taken the Eurolines Coach to Benidorm many a time ,
good fun if you get a good crowd but not for children but very very cheap .
Hope the drive went ok
ended up getting the coach, but will drive next year, thanks for the tips
We drive down to Pals (about 15km away) with our caravan on the back through France we go by Autoroute stop over in a couple of places each way takes us 3 weeks for a 2 week holiday
but hey we get a three week holiday instead

did this before blogs invented
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=79203&sid=d4186c27b85a20b9562f402e45955c20
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.