UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
I'd say it very much depends on the traffic - on an empty road at constant speeds it could well be possible, but I'd allow 5 or 6, to account for traffic, time to stop for a break etc.

Hope you have a good trip over here and the weather is kind to you!
I thought as much. Thanks for the advice. I've got my fingers crossed for a week of sunshine! :wink:
Hey have a good time here! i would say that 4 hours is very optomistic but 6 hours is more realistic have fun and take care :lol:
I would agree; I drive over 3500 miles a month, and find that the AA website makes certain assumptions as to average speeds etc, and doesn't allow for comfort stops.

SIx hours, to allow for traffic jams, snack/loo breaks and so on is far more lilely.
hi

We live near Durham and I'm sure you will love it, you must take time for a wander around the Cathedral and take a walk up to the top, great view but I was exhausted by the time I climbed up, must be my age. You can chill out afterwards in the cafe, very nice homemade cakes!!!! :lol:
If you're going via the M40, A43, M1, M18 and A1, barring hold-ups, you should do it comfortably in around 5 hours driving time as it's about 260 miles.
If using the A1 be aware there is contraflow with 50mph speed limits on the A1 north of Leeds (New A1(M) extension being built)...believe will be finished in 2006...

On my trip last week it didn't cause too many issues but be prepared for a small amount of standing time.

Enjoy your time in our little country.

Van :wave
One word of warning - avoid driving anywhere on Monday 30 May if you want to remain sane :D
Yep, there are plenty of roadworks on the A1, haven't been gridlocked yet but it does slow the pace down a bit.
Now the M1 runs right past Leeds there's no need to risk the M18/A1 for Durham. Just stay on the M1/A1M to junction 62.
I agree with Alan...On my last trip we headed North on the M1 to the M18 then A1...on the return South we went A1 > M1 direct South....This saved us approx 30 minutes and that was allowing for standing traffic South bound due to 2 accidents....

Van :wave
i travel to oxford from newcastle at thebeginning and end of each university term it ussually takes about 5 hours....hope this helps

rob
Thanks everybody for your help and advice. We're flying out tomorrow evening and arrive early Sunday. It'll be my first time driving on the left, so my advice is to stay home for the next few days. I should get the hang of it by Tuesday or Wednesday. :lol:

David
dave hope you have a lovely time while you are here :lol:
Have fun, and watch out for National Blood Service cars on the A1 - I might be driving so steer clear ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.