America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
For driving directions go to http://www.mapquest.com put in the airport code and the address you want to get to and it will give you a map and detailed directions.

This site is also useful if staying in a hotel and you want to know what facilities are close,you can enter your location and ask "What's nearby"- it will give you shops/restaurants etc.
Stef,

make sure you have approx. 12 quarter's. You probbly know, so apologies in advance, these are the silver coloured 25cent coins, four to the dollar.

As you leave Sanford following signs for Orlando/Kissimmee you will likely need to pass through an unmanned toll booth. This takes quarters and didn't accept notes/credit/debit cards when I was last there 2 summers ago. It's the only toll booth if you pick up the Interstate 4 (I-4) heading West.

The I-4 is a multi-laned highway and runs more or less east-west but in the Orlando area it's more south west to north east.

However, ALL numbered roads in the States are even numbered if running generally in a east-west direction and odd numbered if north-south. So, as you approach the I-4 from a small road you'll always see signs such as I-4 WEST or I-4 EAST and you need to know the general direction you want to head.

The I-4 heads towards downtown Orlando - and you'll see the large towers of banks and office on your left after perhaps 20-25 minutes of driving.

Carry on for several more miles until you arrive at the main tourist areas - Universal Studios is first, on your right. Then you get signs for International Drive (I-Drive) and Wet 'n' Wild - then you'll pass several Disney exits.

You're looking for the 192 - known also as the Irlo Bronson Highway - and unless they've removed the sign recently there's a large blue/white sign advertising Arabian Nights at this junction, on your left. Take the 192 heading west.

This is a 3-4 lane road (not motorway style) with loads of Traffic lights. You'll pass Disney's Celebration entrance (right), Water Mania (left), Old Town (right) and if you keep going you'll get to Kissimmee itself after about 10-12 miles.

The 192 is a long, long road - very busy, lots of sights - make sure you know where abouts the Fiesta Key Townhouses are before arriving.

Depends on the time of leaving Sanford. Weekdays, 4-6 is busy busy but will be slacker at other times. I'd allow 75-90 minutes.

Watch the speed signs - 65 generally until built-up when it can drop to 55 - lower if road works. Out in the country, on the I-4 heading west to Tampa the limit will likely be 75. 192 is 40 if I remember rightly.

Lucky blighters. October weather should be very pleasant.
I wouldn't even think of using the I-4 on your first trip. At the time you are likely to arrive its like the M25 at peak period. Use the 417 like most other UK visitors. Its nice and generally quiet and a lot safer after a 9 hour flight. Costs about $5 but well worth it. And it only takes an hour.
Its easy. 417 to the 192 then down Poinciana. Look at a map of the area but be wary of following their instructions. Most of it is just gobblegook and more confusing than helpful.
I use Mapquest every day and don't find it gobbledygook at all. Sometimes when I put in my home address it will direct me around in a circle before heading for the main road,but it gets me there. Another good site is Rand McNally- they offer the same service.
thanks everybody you have all been very helpful keep posting please. stef
I find Google Maps to be much better than MapQuest. It's faster and I prefer the formatting of the directions.
Hi

We have just done Florida it was our first time, and we drove from Sanford to the 192 we took the 417 it was quite but we did get lost we ended up in a hospital car park in celebration area, it took us 3 hours to find our villa. At 3 am in the morning lost and tired it wasn't very nice we stopped and asked for directions at a maned toll booth. we did go through some toll booths twice and we had no money left nobody bothered us though :oops:

I would strongly recommend you rent a sat nav, but you do get used to the the roads very quickly and we took the I4 back to the airport which was much quicker. To rent a sat nav is about £80 for the two weeks it was well worth the money ( but get one that works ours didnt) :wink:
Dont worry to much about it the driving isnt that bad i even had a go :lol:
Ali
I know where you got lost at. When you left the 417 at junction 2 which is the celebration turn off you should have turned to the right when leaving the toll booth. At the top of that road you come to a big t junction that is the 192 west and east. For all villa communities such as Lindfields, Formosa Gardens, Emerald Isle, Sunset lakes etc -turn left.

It's a shame you got lost-because you were almost home and dry.
To have a rough idea where you going try downloading Google earth

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

look for sanford airport and you can follow your route it is not as bad to get there as it seems....
Alisonsnvilla,
Thanks for that i must say if i was to go that route again i would probably get lost again :lol:

I will take those directions you have given because we have just decided to go again :hyper

Though i think we would use the I4 next time and bring our own sat nav,
we want to stay close to the main atractions again it was so much easier to come home for lunch dip in the pool then back to the parks later on......
We stayed in Oak island Cove :D
Stef , we always used to use the I4 and found it very stressful , especially after a 9 hour flight . However for the past few years we have used the toll road 417 and think it's the best way to get used to the car controls etc without being stuck in traffic jams ..... it is so much quieter . As someone else suggested , make sure you have some quarters for the toll booths , although after the first one there are attendants at most of them and they will give you change .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.