America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi FCC

I drive from Sanford is about 1 hour no longer that 1hr 15mins. We dont use the toll road and find it quicker, if you decide to book I will send you directions nearer to the time.

Never flew into Orlando Int.

Regards
Liz Mc
Thanks Liz :tup

I may now be able to convince him indoors that sanford is an option as most of the carriers seem to land there.

Fatcodycat
Unless things have changed there is not a lot of difference from actually getting off the plane to arriving at a hotel on I-Drive whichever airport you use. On most days immigration at Sanford is reasonably speedy and, by the time you have cleared, bags are waiting on the carousel. Walk a couiple of hundred yards ands you collect the hire car. About 45 minutes to I-Drive. Unless things have changed recently, at McCoy you clear immigration and customs and then have to recheck your bags so that they can be transported from the satellite to the main terminal. This can mean anything up to 90 minutes from the time you leave the aircraft to being able to leave the airport. Then some of the car rental companies are off airport which also adds to the time. View this link for the journey from Sanford towards I-Drive http://www.kissimmee-us192.com/british/sfb_via417.html
I agree. Orlando airport is appalling, with having to collect luggage twice. Also bear in mind that the charter airlines are more comfortable than the scheduled ones, with more legroom, so you are better flying to Sanford on them!
Agree with all of the above only 45mins drive from sanford to I-Drive,customs people at sanford more friendly than at orlando international,plus as other people say get your bags and clear customs alot quicker,sometimes depends if other flights just land before you if a couple of planes from uk land before you,can be in a wait,be its all worth while,because its a great place to go on holiday have a great time..
The system has changed at Orlando International. No need to collect baggage twice. Bags are collected pre-customs and you now have the option of either taking them with you on the monorail to the main terminal, or as before, handing them back over and collecting them at the reclaim belt in the main terminal.

Unless I travel with a small wheelie trolley, I prefer to use the re-check facility. I can not understand why people (particularly families with kids and loads of baggage) prefer to struggle with all their bags up esculators, on to the monorail and through a busy terminal, with all that luggage. Each to his own.
Hi FCC

Glad you have had some responce, I do agree it is more like 45mins to an hour from Sanford not 1hr 15 as I said in first reply.

Wherever you fly into you will have a fab time, and will be bitten by the florida bug!

Enjoy

Liz Mc
I used the toll to get to I Drive I think it only cost around 3 to 4 $ and as I haven't driven in the states for about 15 years I thought it would be better to get into the swing of it again on a quieter road.
But that was the one and only time I used a toll, set the Garmin to avoid tolls it got me to the Space center no problem and a much more scenic route and one forty mile stretch we only saw about four cars.
The airport run on the way back was on the I 4. But I forgot to reset it when we left Gatwick so it tried to take us through London instead of through the toll on the M25 :rofl
We checked our luggage and got our seat tickets at the Orlando check in just of sandlake road no ques was in & out in about 10 minutes saves all that hanging about at the airport it cost $12 each but well worth it.

Alan
We tried going down the I4 instead of using the toll roads last time we were in Orlando (2 years ago) - what a mistake! It was rush hour, absolutely chaotic and on the way back we almost missed the flight due to the hold-ups and the fact the junction numbers were different on my map from the numbers on the highway - we were the last people to check in for the flight! When we go again (in 2 weeks time, hurray!) we will definitely be going back to the toll roads.
A few years ago they renumbered all the exits on the interstates in Floria. They are no longer sequential. On the I-4 the exit number reflects the distance from Tampa, on the I-75 the distance from Miami.
Its about an hour depending on traffic and weather....
Its an easy drive, the tolls are peanuts if you choose that route.

I enjoyed the driving when in Orlando, very much part of the vacation. Worryingly, I kept getting this urge to pull in undrneath an 18 wheeler and drive along, just like Chevy Chase in Xmas vacation
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.