UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
East Mersea
12 Posts
Have you tried Trip Advisor for local lodgings? Otherwise all I can recommend is in the vicinity of Colchester ........ there is a Premier Travel Inn, at about £52 a room.

But please visit either the Company Shed or its rival for the freshest seafood your side of the Channel, and Mersea vineyards for local and palatable white wine.
Hi Alsa. :tup So far I have found the Premier Travel Inn at Colchester central to be the nearest main hotel/motel. Where is the Company shed ? Is it in East Mersea or Colchester? And who would be its rival then ? Hubby likes fish so he would be happy :) I'll have a little look at T.A and see if there are any local guesthouses. If my brother is in residence near Stansted when we go we might stay near him and drive to East Mersea instead. Thanks for your help.
The Company Shed is on the seafront in East (or West ... turn right at the T junction when you see the sea!) Mersea and the other place is fairly close by opposite a sailing club. They look really rough but are superb! Bring your own wine and bread to the Company Shed ....... salads are not allowed. Think the other place was better for cooked fish dishes, but sorry can't remember its name! It's next to a marina carpark (ok that's putting it politely, let's say an open area covered with gravel and beached ships!).

Suggest Travelodge at Great Dunmow (called Stansted Great Dunmow on its website) or Harlow if you want to drive to Mersea, or PTI at Braintree, where there's also an HI Express. All conveniently handy for the Freeport Designer Shopping Centre!! Smooth Hound Services do a good list of accommodation in the Essex area - worth a try.
Thanks Alsa......with directions like that I could end up with wet feet catching my own fish supper :rofl Yes the PTI Dunmow is near my brother.I have also emailed the Rutland House B&B in Colchester. It had some favourable reviews on T.A and looks a good sort of place to stay by the photos on its website. How long does it take to drive from Colchester to East Mersea?
From Colchester to East Mersea 30 mins tops. We recently stayed in the Marks Tey hotel, at £69 per night bed and excellent breakfast (including 2 types of bacon!!) also there's a Holiday Inn Express at Eight Ash Green which might have Leisure Saver rooms still available.

Seriously for the fish places, go over the causeway, turn RIGHT for West Mersea and keep on going until you get to the sea, then again TURN RIGHT and the fisheries are on your left, on the edge of the sea!

(My inlaws live in Colchester, that's how I know .. also Yeungs Chinese Restaurant (near the station) is tremendous especially their chilli beef!!).)
Thanks .I'll let you know when we have finally decided on somewhere :tup
OK. The place we chose is soon to stop doing B&B so can anyone advise which is better .Travelodge.. Colchester Feering or PTI Colchester Central or PTI Colchester North? We are looking for a quiet place or at least a quiet room.
Feering is too far south of Colchester ....... PTI seems really poorly placed for the centre (we stayed there 2 years ago and I SHOULD know my bearings after 20 odd years! And the other is new!!

Did you ask Mark's Tey hotel for a quote? Should get £69 a double room including breakfast ... which works out similar to PTI and Travelodge when you add the brekkie, and MTH's brekkie is EXCELLENT!
Thanks for the tips Alsa. Off to do more research. :tup
Better late than never, but even better, never late as I learned when I lived in Lancashire!!

Still can't get you a tidetable - sorry!

Details of the 2 restaus in WEST MERSEA:

The Company Shed, 129 Coast Road, West Mersea, Essex CO5 8PA Tel 01206 382700
Open Tues to Sat 9 - 5, Sun 10 - 5, last orders for eating in 4 pm.

You bring your own wine and bread. They do not allow you to take puds or salads. Very important to book/come early especially if you are a group larger than 3! Not sure if they take phone bookings.

West Mersea Oyster Bar and Seafood Restaurant The Oyster Sheds, Coast Road, West Mersea CO5 8LT Tel 01206 381600

Open Tues, Thurs, Sun 9 - 5, Fri and Sat9 - 10 (pm) and open Bank Holiday Mondays 9 -5

Licenced so don't allow you to bring your own drink, wines from £9.75 to £15.95. Their local Mersea Vineyard Native at £13.95 does justice to the high quality of the seafood. I would recommend the oysters on top of a seafood platter, but my personal experience of the fried fish is that it is too greasy. Lots of soft drinks, locally made ice creams etc. Will take telephone reservations and designated car park is adjacent to the restau.

Both have good fish and shellfish to take away, but I think I'd prefer to eat in at the second ... less hassle and no pricier than the other. You could phone them and ask them to send you a menu.

Enjoy your meal!!
Hello stranger...been away ? :rofl Thanks for the tips. Will print them off and take with us.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.