UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Any cottages or lodges are going to be some way outside of the city - especially with a hot tub. You would need to look in either Fife to the north of the Forth or around east or west Lothian to the south of the city or perhaps towards North Berwick.

Penthouses in modern blocks are to be found in the city centre but Edinburgh is our very own 'windy city' and the wind at the top of most blocks would mean that a hot tub would be of little use. Generally speaking Scotland isn't a great environment for open air hot tubs.

A lot will also depend on when and for how many nights you want it for - most places will only accept bookings for a minimum of 2 night and I see that on other earlier queries for this type of accommodation you've only been wanting to book for 1 night. If this is for New Year then there's going to be very little available by now - Christmas, Hogmanay and the Festival get booked out very early and are also likely to be very expensive. Also, they are more likely to be only willing to take a minimum of 3 night bookings at such peak periods.

SM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's for a 4 night break starting 19th December. I've got 3 options - Edinburgh, London or Centre Parcs, it's for 2 people both in early 20s.

Problem with London is how busy it will be that week, was hoping to find something that little bit special in Edinburgh, problem with centre parcs is I've never actually been so not sure if we would be entertained enough! The original plan was to go to Disneyland Paris but at the moment I am unable to fly.

Thanks for your reply though I know to give up on my hot tub search!
Whilst a smaller city, you can expect Edinburgh to be just as busy as London for those dates. It has a great atmosphere in the run up to Christmas and Hogmanay but anything that is swish enough to have what you seem to be looking for is going to be expensive at that time of year.

But have you thought about sticking to your original plan but using the Eurostar train to get there instead? My parents went with my brother and his family that way and found it excellent. Depending on where your starting point is, it doesn't necessarily add a great deal to the journey time because of the shorter check-in times etc.

SM
Yeah I thought it might be just as busy but it's closer to home than London.

I actually can't fly OR go on the rides at the moment (heart procedure went wrong) so totally out the question :(.

I might just book a nice apartment in London, we know we like London & we've never been at Christmas time before.

Thanks for your help.
In that case, make a point of not just going to see the lights in Regent Street but go and look at the way the Liberty shop is decked out. Usually awe-inspiring at Christmas time - so many ideas to think about having a go at the next year at home.

Hope that you find something to suit and have a really good time - sounds as if you need it.

SM

PS My Mum still reckons that there is nothing better than a Harrods' own brand Christmas pudding! And again the Food Hall is amazing at that time of year - as is Fortnum and Mason. I can see that I'm talking myself into a weekend trip on the sleeper to visit friends in mid-December and pick-up some Christmas goodies :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.