Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Out of interest, why are you flying into HRG (hurghada) and Not Marsa alam airport?
hi...we did not have a choice deal was from hurghada airport but we were told 1 1/2 hours ..transfer BUT ON INVESTIGATION marsa alam airport is approx 1 hour transfer .....BY CHOICE IF THEY HAD BEEN HONEST MARSA ALAM AIRPORT IS BEST.......BUT FROM HURGHADA it is 3 hours by private taxi .....coach takes longer i would not have booked a long transfer...if you have time check on internet distance and time involved ....a private taxi quotes 3 hours ....THOMAS COOK COACHES WOULD HAVE TO TRAVEL AT 90 TO 100 MPH TO COVER DISTANCE .......(if we manage to survive the journey)( internet information)..driving speed limits abroad ...to travel desert motorway 62 mph ....motorway56 mph built up areas 31 mph......at a distance of approx 250 km (150 miles) aaaaaaaaaaaahON RESEARCH THE TRUE JOURNEY IS 3 1/2 TO 4 HOURS BUT COULD BE 4 OR EVEN 5 HOURS WITH CHECKPOINT STOPS AND DROP OF AT OTHER HOTELS.........THANK YOU FOR YOURE REPLY.... THE BATTLE GOES ON WITH THOMAS COOK FOR A REFUND OF DEPOSIT......
What a pain for you. :( I read on another forum that Thomas Cook have withdrawn from flying into Marsa Alam, so anyone who has booked to go there with TC from winter 2009 onwards are having to fly into Hurgharda. :yikes But nobody can seem to get to the reason why. Seems like the only package company left flying into Marsa Alarm from UK are TUI. Really odd.

To me I think it constitutes a major change to your travel arrangements/holiday, but I am not sure what side the lawyers would come down on with that one.

If my flight was changed from say Gatwick to Manchester it would be a major change to me, so dont see how they cant say changing from Marsa Alam to Hurgharda isn't a major change. :que

I think they are hoping people travelling are 'first timers' who just wont realise the major difference in distance and will proceed with their bookings, which IMHO is pretty shabby treatment of their customers.

I hope you manage to sort something out to your satisfaction.
By the sound of it Chris Giz was told Hurgharda airport when he/she booked but was only told 1 and half hours tranfser which is completely untrue .

So I suppose you wont be able to get the deposit back by giving the reason as major change but surely you must be able to if their infomation is incorrect . You would think they would at least take the blame for that and offer a refund . appaling lack of customer service if Giz is having to fight .

Personally I would try a different department Giz . Customer services probably wont even have the authority to offer a refund and will most probably be reading their answers to you from a screen . Maybe try the administration department who i've had success with in the past .
Giz you should find a better selection of numbers and departments here + it will save you from ringing a premium rate number every time . http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php
Sorry link to Thomas cook numbers not working so ignore that google search and just enter TC in search for alternative number . Theres a good selection.
I can't make out from the original post where the 90 minute claim came from. Was this in a printed brochure that you checked before booking? If so, and assuming you kept it, then it is clear misprepresenation of a significant fact so it should be a fairly simple job to cancel and get your money back -although you ought to speak to Consumer Direct (or your local Trading Standards if you can find their number). Don't get involved in arguments about what constitutes a major change, nothing about the holiday has been changed - it was 150 miles when you booked and it's still 150 miles!

If you've nothing in writing then it will be more difficult.
hi , YES IT WAS HURGHADA AIRPORT WHEN I BOOKED BUT ........
When i went into chester to ask about holiday it came up on computer dreams beach marsa alam,,, the girl who had all information on computer about hotel and SHE SAID
IT IS SHOWING ON COMPUTER Flight to hurghada and coach transfer 1 1/2 hours ....SO I BOOKED....
I WOULD NEVER HAVE BOOKED IF SHE HAD SAID 3 OR 4 HOURS TRANSFER.....
Days later it was by chance that i saw in another brochure (longwood holidays) that it was approx 4 HOURS ,,,
I RANG thomas cook chester store to question the transfer....the girl made phone calls to PRODUCTS DEPARTMENT.... .....
REPLY WAS IT IS 1 1/2 HOURS TRANSFER..........
SO I WAS ON THE COMPUTER TO INVESTIGATE....private taxi 3 HOURS , trip advisor, Holiday watchdog ECT, I also called AT 3 OTHER TRAVEL AGENTS ..RANG THOMAS COOK T.V CHANNEL ON SKY...ALL SAID about 4 HOURS MAYBE MORE ...
So back to chester, MANAGER HAS COPIES OF ALL MY INFORMATION BUT IS ADAMENT ALL CALLS TO PRODUCT DEPARTMENT SAY 1 1/2 HOURS......
MANAGER HAS TOLD ME IT IS ALL ON RECORD 1 1/2 HOURS TRANSFER NOT 3 to 4 hours......

I AM NOT PREPARED TO TRAVEL AND WHEN I GET ON COACH FIND IT IS 4 HOURS......THIS NEEDS TO BE DEALT WITH NOW..............

IF ANYONE READING THIS HAS CHANCE TO ASK STAFF IN ANY TRAVEL AGENTS WHAT THEY THINK I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFULL..
THANK YOU ...
Giz please don't post with your caps lock on. Many thanks.
update .....thomas cook have agreed that i can change my holiday with... no charges ... so egypt is cancelled and i have booked greece for summer 2010......(there was no acknowledgement of coach transfer time from hurghada airport to marsa alam) BUT i feel my research did the trick.........its a lesson learnt , ,, do full research before booking holidays,,,,,, WELL DONE THOMAS COOK for a favourable outcome.
Giz

Well done for sticking at it and getting a suitable result, so many people give up which just makes it harder for the next ones.

And you've now realised what I always say - do full research before booking holidays - and why I say it!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.