Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Just to memtion that both Asda and Matalan presently have an Egyptian cotton bedlinen range - and speaking as a former textile technologist, its pretty good quality for the money too. Even in Egypt, I think their prices would be hard to beat !
Infact there seems to be a growing trend for just this product in the shops in the UK at the moment (I am a big fan of it too - it is the best in the world because of the type of cotton fibre it is made with ...but I don't want to bore you with the details -lol).

Personally, because of the very tight luggage restrictions on weight these days (cotton bedding is pretty heavy actually :( ), and because you would be covered by the Sale Of Goods Act, I would definitey buy it in the UK. :)
Apparently most of the high end stuff is made for export and is hard to find when you are over there doing tourist shopping.

In Sharm most of the tourist shops sell tourist tat more or less all the same type of stuff. eg. tourist towels with Sharm el Sheik & a Camel embroidered on them :que , this is what they seem to think we want. I did look for egyptian cotton sheets whilst over there last year but couldn't see anything and was worried about the weight if I had found some.

Doe
I always buy my E/cotton bedding from the Sharm mall. Go inside the mall and go down to the bottom floor, there is a t.shirt shop that is tucked in the corner. Normally there is a really really massive(over-sized) t.shirt in the window. The shop is owned by several brothers who we have made friends with over the years. We bought a lilac pair and a white pair. If for some reason you want what they havent got, then ask, by the end of the next day they will have it for an 'extra tip', i am not sure where they go, maybe the 'old town' but never the less, they are really good quality, and reasonable on price, and the real thing. Good luck :tup

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
In Sharm most of the tourist shops sell tourist tat more or less all the same type of stuff. eg. tourist towels with Sharm el Sheik & a Camel embroidered on them , this is what they seem to think we want.

:rofl :rofl . or even worse an egypian pharoah s head .

I have an egypian cotton bed set purchased from john lewis and its lovely to sleep under and washes beautifully . nothing else comes close to the quality .

thanks for that Michelle. I will pay them a visit next year ;)
Thanks Michelle, I did look in the mall but I must have missed this. :kiss

lynwestie wrote:

. or even worse an egypian pharoah s head .

or one of those plasticky shisha pipes that you think will look wonderful when you get home. (Not) :rofl
We've bought Egyptian cotton sheets and towels before but only when in Luxor and at a "local" shop, not a tourist tat shop. I did notice a couple of shops in Old Sharm, well back from the main road entrance who had a good selection of bedding etc. May be worth a look there. Of course, as others have mentioned, with the tight limits on baggage these days, its not really the thing to bring back with you!

And, Doe, don't forget the obligatory sets of little black pyramids that you bring back to give to people you dont like, because they are so cheap!!! :que :rofl
carrot2502 wrote:

And, Doe, don't forget the obligatory sets of little black pyramids that you bring back to give to people you dont like, because they are so cheap!!! :que :rofl

Eek! They do rather fall into the same category as plastic Eiffel Towers. I have managed not to sucumb to any of these wonderful mementos so far Rog. :rofl

The way the TO's are going with these flipping 15K luggage allowances I think I am going to have to stick with Selfridges for the bed linen. ;)
How come you only get 15kg? we get 20 kg with thomson and 5 kg hand luggage.

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Thank you all. I forgot about the weight, looks like i will buy it here.
Susan
I have just had to pay XL another £7.50 per head, each way to bring the baggage allowance back up to 20Kgs, Michelle. Its for all flights with them after 1st june, I think. I'll bet all the t/o airlines will be at it over the next year. Either that or they'll just put it on your holiday cost! :roll: I certainly can't do two weeks in Egypt on 15kgs! :que
:offtop but at least Monarch still do the full 20kg :sun2
I need nearly 20kg of field guides and identification books...
I have just had to pay XL another £7.50 per head, each way to bring the baggage allowance back up to 20Kgs

Hi Carrot

I couldnt remember the weight as dont normally look to be honest as i dont take much :tup but a member of my party that is coming with us on the 23rd June was asking, so i rang thomson up and she said it was 20kg.

I just rang up again and what they meant to say was 15kg suitcases and 5kg hand luggage. I said to them that what i was told was confusing and she apologised. So 20kg altogether :)
On 14th May 2008 at 02:24pm, redsusan56 said:
We are going to Sharm in July and was wondering has anyone bought the world famous Egyptian Cotton bed linen, If so what was the price compared to here and was it the real thing ?Was going to buy some here but might hold of till we see what it's really like :think
Thanks
Susan
Hi, I am from Australia. I generally recommend Egyptian cotton sheets in the 400-700 thread count range. However, shoppers should keep in mind that there may not feel a significant difference between higher and lower thread count sheets, and many high-quality 200-300 thread count sheets are quite comfortable. I can tell you the price of 600tc sheet set can be round about 250$.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.