Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Elephant trips
89 Posts
as Fiona says - follow previous threads on this topic - but be aware usually they are set up for tourists - no problem and an intro into what these animals are - Better perhaps to see them in the wild and again as they are - the workhorse of India - for that you will have to travel around and see them for yourself - although they are becoming increasingly rare to see due mainly to the cost and upkeep and also the awareness of the animal welfare groups in India. :P
Are there any safaris etc that you can go on to see the animals in there natural habitat? We are staying at the Heritage Village would you recommend any local trip advisors etc?
the nearest place that I know of will be one of the Goa national parks - but reports of wild elephants damaging crops and villages (and villagers) were in the local news a short time back and they were from the north east of goa - you might be well advised to try the elephant trip with daytripers - that is if you don`t have the time to go to south or north India. :P
Hi, can anyone help. we are going to Goa in February and my girlfriend has always dreamed of riding an elephant. I know this is possible but I have heard that it is also possible to wash one. Could anyone give me any info as this would not just make her dream come true it would blow her away, thanks Gary
you must go on the jungle book trip it is a elephant lovers dream you can feed them wash them ride on them and swim with them -you can book anywhere £60 -£70 per person with overnight stay in jungle.
Hi Gary
Have a look here for info. Your girlfriend is a lucky lady!
hi,wife and i went last year,stayed in candolim.we asked taxi driver to take us to see the elephants.paid about 14 quid (i think).i think it was somewhere in ponda,took about 1 and half hours to get there,there was 2 elephants,you got to ride on them for 10 mins,then they took us to a small river within the grounds and we sat on the elephants back and then elephant filled its trunk up ,under the instructionds of its handler and soaked me.i remember this very well as i wasnt too keen on going on this trip coz i was suffering from too much alcohol from the night before,lol.this soon sobered me up.the highlight of our hols,cant remember how much it cost exactly to ride and then bath and feed them but if i said about a tenner each,i wouldnt be far wrong,hope this helps,regards les
:lol: Brilliant! These were taken from our February 2005 Jungle Book trip!
Click on photo to englarge! :wink:

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/328/elewash7ys.th.jpg

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/8437/elewash14mv.th.jpg
Thank you for posting those photos, they are fab, we are off on Friday and the one thing we don't want to miss is the chance to do this, wow, how amazing, so excited!! :pele
gsh

if you send me a p.m. i will give you a phone number for someone that organises the ponda elephant washing/ riding trip and fuller details of what you get for your money
ive done the ponda trip that fritz is on about,and would highly recommend it,also was very inexpensive compared to the jungle trip one. :D
:lol: :lol: PM me and I'll give you phone number of guy that arranges the Jungle Book trips too! :lol: :lol: It was 2 whole days..pack filled. I have a word doc with EVERYTHING we did from start to finish with photos. Initially thought £70 was expensive...but not when you see what you get!!
Have read that Thomas Cook are the only ones that do rafting down the river as part of the jungle book trip, fancy doing this, how do you book with Thomas Cook if you haven't booked your holiday with them??
Hi Whiska's,
Unless you are a Thomas Cook customer you won't be able to do their trips for insurance reasons. Don't think for one minute that they are the only people who can offer the rafting....this is Goa after all and anything is possible, in fact I'm sure Day tripper can sort it out for you??
Hope you have a fantastic holiday....roll on Friday!!
Goldenflipflop xx
:shock: We weren't with Thomas Cook! Pm me with your email addie Whiskas..and I'll send you the itinery..and mobile number of guy who works for them! I'd seen it through a website...and we just mentioned it at our shack....and they rang someone to come and book us in!
The rafting and elephant washing is part of the Dandelli trip run by Daytripper, I can reccomend it as a great overnight trip and exellent value for money and very well organised throughout Alan
HI, we Got back here last Friday. Did the Jungle book trip, £70 but well worth it, paked full with rafting, spice farm and best of all elephants! You get to ride on them, wash them, sit on the back ang get a 'shower' in the river. They put on a fantastic display in the evening with 'cermonial' 'outfits'. The next day you see them working with logs and the baby one 'dumbo' is gorgeous. There are four or five adult elphants and a couple of younger ones with a baby orphan one.Also as part of the trip you get to go on a torchlight walk up to a buddist temple and the next day you can go on a 'jungle' treck starting at 0600 up to waterfalls. Quite a strenous walk uphill but well worth the effort. Best to wear trainers or boots as quite rocky. After the walk and before breakfast you get to do yoga in the grounds of the temple.The food there is very good and plentiful. You need extra money for drinks and there is a small fee for using camera's (160r about £2). The mud huts are basic with a toilet and 'cold' shower. the bed has a mosquito net but would recommend taking a plug in mosquito repellent as well (they sell them for 200r if you havnt' got one to bring with you). We booked through the First Choice rep.
Have fun......the elephants are amazing!
shazzer
Dandelli trip is a different one to the Jungle Book though I think. The one that Shazzer has written about is the one that we have been on. Anybody who wants to see photos plus EXACTLY what we all did during the two days pm me with your email address and I'll send the Word Doc that I've done onto you.
Dont want to be disgusting, but has anybody notice what the elephant in the background is about to do?? :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.