Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Thankfully I don't think Macdonalds has made it to Goa yet (not in the North at least) but they do have a Subway on the Baga road.

You can get British food in lots of places, the length of menus even in beach shacks in unbelievable. HP and ketchup are readily available.

If you do get sick of spicy food there's a place called Beaches run by an English guy called Paul which does fantastic apple pie & custard.
thanks glad mcdonalds isnt there, dont like in england never mind on hols. i just wanted to know so that i can eat at same place as son and have goan and he can eat what he wants, fussy little sod. hubby wanted me to go to batleys and get loads of hp sachets as he has been known on hols before to arm himself with a bottle of hp and walk round with it into restaurants, how embarassing
Tom sauce is available everywhere, but i cant seem to find anywhere that has salad cream :(
Can get great european food most places. Personally i would hate to see HP, tomato ketchup (already there) and salad cream in Goa. Please dont let it turn into another Benidorm. You are in India, great food and great way of life - eat and enjoy food is fantastic
The day they have a Macdonalds/Burger King, gear up for more British (like Spain) will be the last time I go, hopefully not for a long time, but I have my doubts because its changed such a lot over the last 2 years :(
I agree Candy - I used to love Ko Samui - until Burger King , Macdonalds etc arrived and I will never go again, so for now I love Goa but will not go again if all the fast food chains move in.
You guys have got me wrong, i DONT want mcdonalds i only wanted to know if son can get plain food as cant eat spicy or fish menus due to intolerance, me , husband and daughter will eat goan but didnt want to have to eat seperately as a family to satisfy son. as for ketchup and hp if you have eggs for breakfast thats what all rest (not me)usually have at home. thanks for feedback
Haven't seen HP anywhere, but to be honest haven't looked hard. As far as salad cream, most places have bottles of mayonnaise, at least the beach shacks do
del949
Wherever I have eaten, I have always been able to get plain food (if I have wanted it, especially after the very rare tummy problem).

I have also noticed that the shack or restaurant owners will always try to accommodate if you have children.
If you are staying in Candolim the Mango Grove do a really good breakfast and they have HP sauce, they also have Heinz baked beans. Another place you can get plain food is Ruffles Bar, they do pie and peas, burgers, chips etc. all the normal stuff you would find on an English pub menu.

Hope you have a good holiday

Debs
Yes main thing is have a good holiday. There are loads of places that will do plain food, chips, mashed potato, burgers, toasted sandwiches. Don't worry and have a great time!!!
Hi, got in on this thread late. Just to allay your fears as regards HP sauce, most large supermarkets stock it. Its easily available, and so is tomato ketchup (heinz) and some other good indian makes - kissan and mrs. bector's. If you are in Calangute / Candolim area - you can buy it at Luma, Lawande, Newton's - all supermarkets. Also, most restaurants that serve English food have both and will definitely have tomato ketchup. There are plenty of restaurants serving english food, as well as non-spicy food from other nations. And there are restaurants that serve both English and Goan and Indian food. Steaks feature on most menus, as do chips, fish-n-chips, mashed potatoes, mushy peas.
And loads of soups. Plus places like Domino's pizzas will deliver pizzas and smaller restaurants make some great sandwiches. In Calangute, near the market area, there are plenty of places that serve burgers too.
Have a great time
hi
we found that lots of places will also do something to how you want it..ie: they will do a chip butty,egg sandwich or leave something out or sauce off something........ anything really for you even if its not on the menu, just ask wherever you are, resteraunts, shacks most places will try & accomodate you & im sure will make even more of an effort for a child. there are plenty of supermarkets around as well (luma,newtons & others i forget the names of) which sell a large variety of tinned food, bread etc so if youre really stuck you will be able to get something for the non spicey eaters to enjoy.
the resteraunt beaches as mentioned does fantastic english food with specials a lot of nights, its inbetween candolim & calangute on the main rd on the left if your heading towards candolim from calangute (taxi driver will find it) i think though its closed on mondays though but well worth trying. i love spicey food but this place was a saviour for us with a rather fussy mum in law in tow. their steak & kidney pie is fantastic!!! the resteraunt underneath babutes bar ( just off the main rd near luma supermarket ) also regularly does english specials as well.
have a great trip :D
You can buy HP and heinz ketchup and beans and much much more, even weetabix, at the Orchard Store, Mazel Vaddo, Anjuna, past Nelsons bar, (great big screen for the footy) on the way to the flea market. Ask any one when you reach Anjuna xxx
Blackpool springs to mind :rofl :rofl :whoops sorry the thought of all those hrs on a plane dreaming of ketchup, OK must admit on the flight home I cant wait to have bangers and mash but not on the way there :wink:

Alan
If in doubt-shove a bottle in the suitcase!
Marios restauraunt in Candolim is good for steak and chips, chicken and chips etc. and I noticed they had Heinz ketchup and HP and Hellmans.
Had a bit of a dodgy tummy one night last time I was there, so could'nt face anything spicy and had steak. My husband had butter chicken though and said it was one of the nicest he'd had. Its on the beach road on the same side as Inferno and it was one of the cheapest we went to.
One place I would definately recommend for plain food is Molly Malones in Calangute- they offer excellent fish and chips, steak, pie and chips etc
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.