Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Exchange Rate
9 Posts
don't know about Rhodes , But i was getting between 1.095 and 1.105 in Kefalonia last week
Thankyou for your reply.
Its our first holiday in Rhodes this year, we've never been to any of the greek islands and our last few holidays have been in turkey.
This forum is kinda quiet compared with the turkey forum !!
for some reason people have been shying away from Greece, I don't understand it the in resort prices are about the same as they have been for the last few years,ok the exchange rate is not good but its not their fault it was the last governments quantitative easing [poring loads of cash into the economy] which had the effect of permanently de valuing the pound against all the worlds major currencies, so if you keep comparing with prices at home, no matter where you go it will seem dearer

wizard
The pound had been in rapid decline from January 2007.
Quantitative easing was introduced in March 2009, and the pound had
hit its lowest level against the euro in January of the same year.

To say that the previous Governments policy of quantitative easing is responsible for the current low exchange rate is incorrect.
I don't think we actually spent more this year in Crete than we did three years ago in Parga, but we did make it a rule to only eat out once a day and had breakfast and salad at "home" at other times. But we don't really drink so don't know if that would have made any difference.
same here nursynewcastle we love turkey but have decided to try rhodes this year
I decided to try Rhodes as a change from Turkey but wished I had gone to Turkey. :cry
I got 1.12 euro to the £ prior to leaving on 25th May for 2 weeks in Faliraki and just returned late last night. In the Luca Hotel I was offered 1.09 (inc commish) on arrival and saw a high of 1.13 in a street exchange booth but not sure what commish they would take.

Since the rates have fallen rapidly since 25th May, and now hover around 1.09 at my local Interash, the best you can expect in resort is even lower from now on. Banks will be your best bet but the Greek economy is feeling a big hit at the mo with more hits on the way it seems....sad for everyone.

Excellent holiday though with weather in the mid 30 degrees every day since Sunday 29th May...will try to post full report later.

regards...Jim.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.