Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
expensive
16 Posts
the prices are a little dearer but not to sad
turkey has had the same as us in major riser to fuels which in turn affects all other area's food drink etc :sun2
I went in September and didn't find it any more expensive than last year to be honest.
I have visited 5 times this year and think prices were generally up on last year but then it's the same everywhere. Your friend probably found it more expensive in September as the exchange rate was very poor then. I believe it has risen a little in the last week.
we have just returned from Hisaronu today the 3rd time we have been this year and found prices much cheapernow large eefes was 2 lira in lots of bars and vodka coke 3 most of the bars had offers on which we have never known before usually the prices are set at the start of the season and they dont change we were paying around 60 to 65 lira for 3 course meal for 4 with first drink included
thats really cheap for beer in august it was 3 lira annemel im off back in the morning happy days :glynis :fly
Just back from Icmeler and I have found the opposite. The resort seemed fairly quiet which may be the reason, but many bars and retaurants selling beer at 2 lira, local drinks and cocktails 5 lira. Great deals on food set 3 course meal from around 15 lira. In fact most nights we were eating, Turkish bread, starter, main chicken dish, 2 bottles of Efes and 2 diet cola for around 50 lira, for 2 people

Stewart
I have just spent 2 days in Istanbul, and was pleasantly surprised by the relatively low prices for a capital city ..... and I live in a country where the euro is the national currency! I suppose to a certain extent it depends on what you want to spend your money on .......... we found that entrance fees and local food and drink were good value.
alsacienne we are off to istanbul next week for a week, any favourite recommendations to eat, im glad to hear you didnt find it dear as i have heard it was expensive there so thats good news
Hi Ellie-Meg! Hope you have a great trip.

We were only there for a day and a half as part of a cruise, but ate at the Sultanhamet Meat Ball Shop - just opposite the taxi rank to the right of Aya Sofia - just up the hill from the tram stop, following the tram line. We also spent some time on the benches in front of the Blue Mosque, buying tea from the tea vendors (chai chai chai chai). If you want apple tea, ask for Elma Chai, and they'll make it up from you (as always from a powder!) in front of you. We also bought corn on the cob for 1€ or 1.5€ if salted, and gozleme (savoury pancakes) from a lady making them in the area of the benches in front of the Blue Mosque, where 3€ bought us a filling cheese pancake. No Caliph's revenge either!!

The only real hassle we had was the limited time available, so got to our start points from the ship by taxi .............. don't let them price you in euros! If they say '20', say 'TURKISH LIRA' ...., and if you pay them once you get into the cab, they can't go on a detour and ask for more (though they might drop you short on the pretence that the road is closed!!!). They will always ask if you want to do a tour!!! Say no, but nicely!! 'Tesh-ek-ur ed-er-im' (thank you) is much appreciated!!

Do visit the Underground Cistern ............ it's amazing. We didn't think 4€ was a rip off in the cafe there to experience Turkish coffee amongst the drips, just very atmospheric. (And it's a really unique situation!)

If you go into Aya Sofia, don't necessarily join the left hand queue. That's for people who want the Turkish museum card, so go through the middle queue section to the separate ticket desk. You will have to put your luggage through a scanner like going through an airport for everyone's safety. If you need the toilet, there is one just to the left of the exit before you hit the street. Free, but not particularly savoury just before closing time!!! You will not need a headscarf for this visit, nor will you be required to remove your shoes.

You will have to take your shoes off - a plastic bag is supplied to carry them in - and wear a headscarf if you are a lady for the Blue Mosque. They will loan you one - free, ditto a covering for ladies with vest tops revealing their shoulders, or for folk in shorts. It would be a good idea to come prepared with your own scarf, and with easy to slip off shoes. If you can come into the mosque with your headscarf on, you may be able to avoid a lot of queues by taking the regular entrance and not that for tour groups which has a long queue.

Both are beautiful, and should not be missed.

Istanbul is very busy and buzzing and hectic! Do be aware of pickpockets and the possibility of being scammed. My husband managed to stop a shoeshine brush that was apparently rolling down the street on its own, turned to return it to its owner, a shoe shiner, who shook his hand and didn't want to let it go!!! Luckily my husband didn't succumb to his insistence to have his shoes shined!!!
we are really looking forward to it, as we go to turkey about 5 times a year we have picked up the language quite well and hubby great he can hold small conversations, we are meeting my mother there she lives near marmaris, so they live on a turkish budget so and know how to deal with the turks lol, so hopefully between us all we should not get ripped off lol . thanks for the tips , didnt know you had to wear head scarfs i dont have 1, my only concern is whether ellie at 8 will be bored, but hopefully not. out of interest did you see any leather pouffes as i want to buy quite a few
ellie meg...have a read here ...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k1959155-l12051333-Traveling_Turkey_with_Kids-Istanbul.html

might be useful...

For adults or adults with kids, there are two places not to be missed. One is the Rahmi M: Koc Museum on the Golden Horn at Haskoy and the other is Miniaturk Historical Adventure Park at Sutluce again on the northern side of Golden Horn. You can take the Golden Horn Ferry from Eminonu to Haskoy and Sutluce to visit these places.

At Koc museum, there is a real submarine that you can visit, old locomotives, the oldest ferry, old trams of Istanbul and old and antique cars all the way from Ford-T to antique Rolls Royces, plus steam engines, etc. Plus there is a very nice cafe. And Miniaturk is a theme park that has models of all historical monuments, Ataturk's Mausoleum, churches, mosques, old cities, etc from all over Turkey in 1/25 their actual size.
caretta thanks for all that info ill have a read through it all, the musuem sounds good im going to see if i can find any links to it
The first time I went into the blue mosque I didn't need to wear a scarf but the next time I did, I'm not quite sure why I didn't need it the first time as I was expecting to have to.

I would love to go back to Istanbul again, I think we will go again when the girls are a bit bigger. It's a wonderful city, all the more so for me becasue that is where I met my husband !
No need for a headscarf at Aya Sofia, but you will need one at the Blue Mosque. Hoodies seemed to be acceptable.

I didn't see any pouffes - I know what you mean!! - but then I wasn't shopping. I would think that there would be plenty in the Grand Bazaar, probably not filled, but less likely to find any in the spice bazaar.
good excuse to drag my hubby around the bazaar, he wont be happy :rofl , i bought some in marmaris and managed to get them under a fiver but want some more, heres hoping istanbul is cheaper lol

gosh im really looking forward to it, not sure what weather will be like next week, lets hope we dont have rain grrr, both my daughter and my mother who we are meeting there are having birthdays whilst there,so we would like to find a special restaurant 1 evening but not too stupidly priced any ideas
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.