Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
No, it,s got a little dearer generally, but thats to be expected. the locals seem to have caught on a bit and will try to up the price on some things. taxi drivers seem to be the worst offenders. always fix a price before you get in a taxi, if it''s to dear go to another. they soon get the message. the main thing is, if you think something is to dear, don't buy it!!!
BOB.
Is it really that expensive now??
I don't think so

The main thing that made it seem expensive last season was the collapse of the pound from 85 Rps down to less than 70, then because of the low number of tourists after the Mumbai attack and the rumours that the beaches would be closed over Christmas and New year, some of the the shacks decided to charge for sun beds and some places did put up their prices.

To be honest, most traders, restaurants, bars and shacks had a terrible season and did not put up their prices but still got a lot of flak because the average cost for a couple to go out in the evening for a meal and drinks (2000 Rps) now cost £28.57 instead of £23.53 all because of the poor exchange rate.

Ps that is an up market meal
never spent that much on an evening meal in goa. even lobster wouldn't cost that much!!! we normally spend about £5 each for a decent meal and drinks, sometimes rather less!!!!
BOB.
You can get an excellent meal for 2 with a couple of beers each for well under a fiver per person but you can pay a lot more too. We have found that like everywhere else price isn't the only indicator of good food because there are some very overpriced "upmarket" joints that produce rubbish.
Have to say when we were there in March I thought it was the same as the year before I cant say the prices were up at all YES the rupee was bad from last year but the prices of things was the same to me ...colleen
Many thanks for all your responses.

I was just enquiring as I have seem a number of reviews around having a general moan about Goa, but being a fairly recent first timer anyway, I guess it wouldn't have changed too much from my last visit in '07?

Incidentally, with regards to the security problems since the Mumbai attacks, is everything generally back to normal now? Also, has the exchange rate improved at all?

Looks like I will be booking up, can't beat a curry and a few Kingfishers for dinner most nights!
It appeared last year that the prices in rupees on menus etc were the same as before, but we were getting less rupees to the pound, and that is what made it dearer.
hi
mobor is correct,not only the same prices on the menus,but mostly they were the same menus some almost collectors items,seriously it was the weak pound that made a difference but overall its not that much to worry about
You can get an excellent meal for 2 with a couple of beers each for well under a fiver per person but you can pay a lot more too. We have found that like everywhere else price isn't the only indicator of good food because there are some very overpriced "upmarket" joints that produce rubbish

Have to agree.A lot of places seem to be going for the "upmarket" type of venue.Most are very average my least favourite last year being After 7.Has turned jacking up the bill into an art form.

I know a lot of you love it and there is no doubt the setting and ambience is excellent.I just feel he is having a laugh with his prices for distinctly average food.A "Fillet Steak"should not need to be battered into submission in order to tenderise it.

Goa is still one of the cheapest places on earth to holiday.Add in the weather and food and it is excellent value.

We all know the downsides visas diabolical etc but no one can say it is expensive.

Try holidaying in Europe this year if you want to know what expensive is.

Papa
Hi ron

I thought I should explain how I came up with the 2000 Rps meal for a couple.

We live in Goa for six months so we do not tend to do the tourist thing very often but our daughter and family came out for Easter and after staying with us for two weeks wanted to take us out for their last few days. She took us to J &A's, La Fenice and Fiesta where it is hard not to spend a 1000 rps a head but it would have been £50 a head in the UK for a similar night out.

When we came home end of May things where just about back to normal security wise around the resort but there are more checks at Airports than you would have had in 2007

The exchange rate today is 79.14 but you would only get 77 to 78 out there

As others have said Goa is still inexpensive compared to most places but you now have the choice of eating good food on the cheap or going up market for a special night
oh yeah, FIESTA!!! What a great place to eat!!! yep, bit expensive, but the food is great!! really love it there and always go there once during our holiday, but it is a push the boat out night!!
BOB.
Down at the other end of the scale I took photos of the menu at the Dolphin Shack at Querim Beach, way up north.

This is from Easter 2009.

http://www.pbase.com/iaintwoeyes/image/111733541
Oh Iain

It's not on the menu, does this mean you missed out on the Honey Bee yet again !
LOL...meagain!!!

It was a long scooter ride to Querim and although the Indian lads I was with has numerous bottles of KF, I resisted any form of alcohol until I was back at the hotel! The risks just aren't worth it. We had a brilliant day and a real good laugh. It was there one and only day off and they make the most of it with lots of beer and food but with at least 90 minutes on a scooter to get back to the hotel, I held back!

Made up for it later though with lots of HB........MMMMmmm HoneyBee :cheers
Thanks for your replies. You've been a great help.

Think from memory our favourite restaraunt was O'Pescardor - in between in between Baga and Calangute if I am correct?
O'Pescardor is in Baga opposite the end of CSM road and is still a good inexpensive restaurant but it is not a patch on what it used to be since the son took over a few years ago and revised the menu, they used to make the best apple pie in Goa when Dennis ran the place but that was a long time ago.

Iain
Querim beach is a long way in a car let alone on a scooter, so I think you was very sensible to lay off the sherbet. We used to go there for a picnic with the kids from the charity when we was involved and as you say there was hardly ever any one else around apart from the 150 plus kids and staff playing games on the beach and a couple of beach shacks where we only went to recharge our batteries or was it to hide away

Hope we can all catch up at a meet, we are there for a long time but I honestly do not know what happens to time in Goa, it evaporates faster than a HB
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.