Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Cannot see why you feel you should be compensated. You were told that the hotel was not available for 13th July.

A change of date of the GP has taken place and before they could amend their computer system you managed to make a booking. You beat the system. As they are under contract it is not a case of not wanting your business, they just cannot accommodate you.

You say that they will find you accommodation at another hotel - as long as they do that then they have fulfilled the terms. Of course it could be in your home town.

You obviously were aware that the reason they were fully booked was because of the race. It should have been obvious that as the date changed they should move the bookings over.

If you had been booked in for the 13th and they did not move you - because somebody managed to beat the computer you would be a little put out I think.

Seems to me you are trying to play the system.

fwh
She beat the system - she made the booking, and they should honour it.
Hi Deb

I'm a Platinum Member with ICH, which the hotel in question comes under their umbrella.

Firstly, as stated, the hotel is under contract to FIA, and that contract takes priority over individual bookings, sad, but it's that's a fact.

The hotel took your booking in good faith, however, due to circumstances beyond the hotels control, i.e. change of date for the event, the hotels is under obligation to fulfil their contract with FIA.

The hotel has given you sufficient notification of the situation, and you say they have offered to find you alternative accommodation; I therefore believe this should be satisfactory.

However, you also state the nearest hotel is probably 100 miles away!!!

Not sure which HIX you have booked, although I have checked the hotels below and they are showing availability for 06th July 2008:

HI Northampton
Bedford Road
Northampton, NN4 7YF

Northampton West M1 Junc 16
High Street
Northampton, NN7 4LP

Northampton M1 Junc 15
Loake Close
Grange Park
Northampton, NN4 5EZ
They do pay the first nights accommodation as recompense in a hotel that should be nearby and of a similar standard so if you can still get a room in the Northampton area that sounds fair to me. I think though thats the best you could expect.

I don't think you've played the system though. You've booked a room online...most of us would expect to get that room. How do we as customers have any idea that a hotel has already contracted out, or is going to contract out, those rooms to someone else. I wonder whats happening to those customers who had already booked for the 6th July prior to the announcement of the Grand Prix change.
I don't think you were trying to play the system. You tried to book for the 13th and were told the hotel was full. At this point you probably thought everyone else had 'got in first'. However, when you were made aware the date had changed to the 6th you didn't dither, and quickly logged on to make a booking (no doubt pleased that you 'beat the rush' - so would I have been)

At no time were you aware of the hotel having a contract with FIA until you were informed by the hotel.

If the hotels hands are now tied I'd accept their offer of paying for the first nights accommodation and find something suitable asap. Speak to the manager and find out exactly how this scenario works ie do they look for you accommodation or are you able to find your own and they pay up for 1st night.
Thanks for you replies.

I did not try to "beat the system" as I did not know that there was one to beat! As Glynis said, I did not know there was a contract with anyone and just thought that we had not been quick enough to get a room on the original date. When it changed I thought I was lucky enough to get in first. If they had been taking general bookings for the original date I don't think they would have automatically swapped them to the new date unless there were rooms available and people had contacted them to swap them over. It would just be tough on those who didn't change quickly enough. They are now having to cancel the 13th and struggling to find anything for the 6th.

Anyway, they have found us a hotel 30 odd miles away which is better than I expected as, if you check on-line, there are hardly any rooms available within quite a few miles. If they had left us high and dry I don't think we would have found anything suitable. They have also agreed to pay for the first night's accommodation. So, although I am disappointed in the situation it has worked out OK and they have honoured the guarantee. Fair play to them.

Just means I'll have to get up a bit earlier!

Deb
Thanks for confirming the outcome, and I'm pleased you're relatively satisfied.
You have my sympathy - we've been going to the GP for years and many hotels make block bookings and inflate the prices that weekend, it's just the way it is and it's been like that for years.
Best advice I can give is find yourself a nice little B&B, get friendly with the owenrs and make sure you have a booking year upon year by asking them to hold you a room for race weekend the following year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.