Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi Colin, I sympathise with you, it's disgusting that they can do that. When fuel comes down though they never reduce it do they? I'm going a bit off topic now but I remember when I was about 10 years old and there was a potato shortage due to severe frosty weather,
Well the chips in our chippie went from 6p to 12p overnight. When the potatoes came down though the chips never did!!! :( :( :(

I don't know where you live, but we find that Jet 2's flights are very reasonable.

Sue
I definately sympathise with you colin, I'm in the same boat (plane!) for flights to Turkey later in the year. Everything is fine until you start to add on the extras, TCX are charging a fuel supliment of £35 per person for this 4 hours flight, and First Choice are charging £55 fuel supliment for our 10 hour flights to Cuba! When you do the sums, £35 per person on a flight that is say 90% full (Boeing 757-200 with 235 capacity so say 210 passengers), thats an extra £7350 in fuel. Fuel prices have gone up a lot, but Jet A1 hasn't gone up as much as that!

Never take the original price as the final price, just like you never pay the brochure price of a holiday!

Darren
Have just booked a return ticket with BA and discovered not only that they now include all the 'extras' in their published price on the web but that a ticket that was originally coming up as £45 for the outward leg plus £36 pounds for the return (making a total of £81) actually ended up as being costed £69.10 for the return ticket and, therefore, £11.90 less than I expected! The booking confirmation breaks it down into £25 for the 'fare' and £44.10 for the taxes/fees/charges so the latter still clearly makes up the bulk of the total cost but it was a pleasant surprise to find that the final price was actually over 13% less than I was expecting to pay!

SM
I think a lot of it just comes down to pure luck when you book, its usually advisable to book early with your flights on DIY, but subject to how well or poorly that particular flight is selling you can also pay less by booking later. Bit of a mine field really but still much cheaper comparatively than before no frills airlines came into being!. :D Oh and Sue...Please Please dont get me going on Chips Again!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
very true! i was gutted last year to find that the flights i had booked nice and early actually got cheaper nearer the time of departure, doh!
Colin and Jessop

I am in the same boat as Jessop.

Booked our flights middle of last year to go to Portugal. Cost £416.00 now I can buy them for £213.00 and yet Thomson tell you to book early so you get the best savings. Never again! I will wait nearer to the time.

Gail
difficult to know what to do for the best (and pocket!) regarding booking early / late.

We booked early last year for flights to Tenerife this March with BA - our price was £ 321 (for 2) now the price for the same flights is £ 473.

TFS1
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.