Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hi Nick
take a look at the thread on what to do in HK. Someone has just upped it again :)
I first stayed at the Excelsior and loved its position, close to shops, restaurants and the MTR. However, it was too expensive for us when we looked the last time. We have stayed at the Metropark the last couple of times. We booked this the second time through BA and got a really good rate.
Stick your query about Thai islands on the Thailand forum where you will get some response. I have only stayed at Koh Samui but Krabi would be peaceful and the right area of Phuket would also be suitable.
Metropark- be aware that there are 2 Metroparks and ours was in Causeway Bay
Hi Nick we stayed at The Eaton it was great had a good deal booking direct with hotel
had execitive room with free entry all day to the E-ROOM coffee, nibles ,breakfast,
cocktails at 6pm with sandwiches and pastries would love to stay there again ,also great
staff, its close to the night market.
annx
My wife and I went to Thailand & Hong Kong for the first time last December after going to Goa 6 times in the last 8 years.

Had 3 nights in Bangkok which we loved then 10 nights in Phuket at Karon Beach.

Karon Beach is not too busy and you always have Kata Beach next door which is even quieter. Although quieter than Patong there are still many bars and restaurants to enjoy at night and if you want a more lively nightlife Patong is only a 5 minute taxi ride away.

We found the standard of the accomodation and the food to be better than Goa and are already planning to be back this December.

We stayed here in Karon http://www.pacific-club-resort.com it's around a 10 min walk to the beach but I would highly recommend it and great value to.

We then finished of with 5 nights in HK staying at the Regal Kowloon Hotel, wich is around 10 mins walk to Nathan Road and the Ferry Terminal. We booked this through BA hotels for around £75 per night.
Hi Nick

Hotels in Hong Kong cover a wide range of budgets, so it's difficult to know what to recommend without knowing what yours is. However, we're going to HK for our 5th trip at xmas and have previously stayed at the Exelsior, Renaissance Harbourview and the Kowloon Shangri-la (twice).

All were very good hotels, but our favourite has to be the Shangri-la, if only for the fabulous views across the harbour to HK Island. Unfortunately, our budget wouldn't stretch to it for this next trip and we've managed to get a similar deal to the one Anne described but at the Hotel Nikko, which is just up the road from the Shangri-la.

We went to Thailand two years ago and stayed at the Centara Grand Beach Resort Krabi, just outside Ao Nang. It's set in its own gorgeous bay, so is very peaceful and quiet, but it's only a 10-15 minute walk or boat ride to Ao Nang, where there are loads of bars and restaurants, so the perfect combination really.

Elaine
Last time in HK we stayed at the Stamford Hillview- good location on Kowloon

Re Thailand- Krabi was quiet last time we went, we stayed on the outskirts of Ao Nang. Be careful on which hotel you pick though as friends went last year and got a decent deal on an upmarket hotel beach resort but we stung majorly on drinks etc at the hotel and it was a bit far out to go into Ao Nang every night
Just returned from a trip which included 3 nights in Hong Kong. We stayed at the Metropark Hotel in Causeway Bay and would recommend it. Location wise we were happy with it as there is a subway and bus stops within a very short walking distance, plus you are not far from an area called Times Square which is full of markets and shops. Hong Kong itself is amazing and you'll have a great time.
We didn't do any organised trips as we much prefer to do our own thing in our own time rather than be herded like cattle, but I would recommend a visit to Lantau Island to see the Buddha. We went by ferry and then took the bus to the site - like a roller coaster ride as the driver had only one speed - fast - and the road in places is quite steep with a drop on one side! Great fun. You could take the cable car but my husband doesn't like heights.

Rosalyn
Going back to Hong Kong pre and post Cruise [AUS/TAS/NEW ZEALAND Feb/April 2010]
1night pre cruise booked by cruise company Hotel Jen,tried to book the Eaton again on our return
its already booked for our dates[easter week] managed to get 3nights in the Novotel on Nathan Road
anyone stayed here?
Annx
hi Ann
Haven't been to the Novotel but it looks lovely and in a great position. If its anything like the one in Singapore, which we had a look around including rooms, then it will be good. Did you get a good price for it? I found we had to have a right search the last time we went as some of the prices we were given were just too much.
Hi Fiona yes really pleased works out around £63 room only ,£13.50 for breakfast will
think about that,its not far from The EATON where we stayed last time so know where
it is,had to change our flight on the way home so only allowed 2nights extra our package
with Cathay Pacific only allowed 45 days so the 2 extra nights brings us to that,if we had
stayed over 45days the air fare went up by £400 :que had a good deal on the airfare and
cruise so can,t grumble,looking forward to seeing lots of places in Tasmania and New Zealand
these are new to us but been many times to Australia,we fly into Melbourne to stay with family
for 12nights then its a flight to Perth to join the cruise in Freemantle,18nights .cruise ends in
Sydney having 4nights there,then its Hong Kong and back to Heathrow.[we also have 3nights
pre cruise in Perth]
annx
that is a great price. Re breakfast- if there is a mall beside you, there are bound to be good places to eat there. We have done that before.
Yes the Coffee Bean is quite close so that,s probably where we will land up :)
annx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.