Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Booked last week to go in September, no mention of building works :shock:
We have just come back from Fiesta Castell Playa and as we had a sea view the building work did not bother us, but people over looking the pool area were not happy with the noise from 7.00am everyday. Thomson did not notify us of any building work going on.
Mickt's inlaws says thankyou for your comments reguarding Fiesta castell playa Hotel in Minorca. We faced the pool area where the building was; some 20 or more workers arrived at 7 o,clock and started work shortly after, using their crane etc. , also a rock cutting machine that worked at an incredible rate dislodgeing dust that we could taste whilst in our apartment, this was later stoped and building work then started after 7.30 am; after we had complained to the thompson rep; who assured us it is against the law for building work to be carried out in the tourest season. the building work carried on with sometimes non stop supplies of concrete mixers to do the first floor. The work carried on until 7 o'clock at night except Saturdays (half day) and Sundays all day. We were woken up dayly, we asked if the air conditioning could be switched on so we could have our doors closed as the heat was unbearable, this would be an end to it. The thompson rep said the manager had point blank refused, he reminded us that in the brochure it was to his descresion, so in the very hot sticky nights we had no choice but to leave them open and be woken up every morning by the cluttering and general banging noises of the builders.
The hotel has a truly wonderful staff with an excellent thompson team let down by the management, the al'a'carte meal was well presented but on the two occassions we ate there, we all of us dressed to the nines were pointed to our tables by the matra.d, the only staff, wine was plonked on the table, the pre orderd menu then arrived, the chef had done an excellent quisine let down by its delivery, no welcome, no souvinour photo, no waiter to guide the lady to her seat, no wine taister, no waiter to pour the drinks, in fact no one but guests ( oh for an Ibostar Hotel). This was half emty both times we ate there with no atmosthere at all.
The Resturate with its coffee and tea machines were like a posh canteen,no personal service other than clear up waitresses and again the plonking down of wines by the matra.d the friday fish day is a meal and display not to be missed, but the on show cooking is fried eggs, omlettes, pork fillets raw when one is missed in the bulk frying, steak quick fry water tasting ifyou could put yor teeth into it, the breast of lamb as a main part of a meal with very little meat is not acceptable in my book.
The other choices are good but without good meats not upto gold standards.
I could say that every Gold Hotel we have stayed in, has had machines for tea/coffee and fruit juice, and buffet service.

I would like to add that hubby and I are off to visit this hotel later this month, so we will find out for ourselves what it is like!

Once we are back I will be happy to post a report.

(edited to add something I forgot first time!)
  • Edited by Acorncup 2005-09-26 12:55:58
Thomsons have now put the information about the building works on their internet site, it is a new development down the hill infront of the hotel, as usual we have been told that the noise in minimal and every effort will be taken to ensure that customers will be as inconvenienced as little as possible etc etc. When I first contacted Thomson they stated that there was no work taking place but have now checked with their resort staff and sent me a letter stating the above, we are now deciding if to change to another gold hotel.
Londongirl :D
We have received a letter from Thomson informing us of the building works too...

but we're still going as you can imagine!

What with that and the jellyfish it sounds a right barrel of fun.......but it's got to be better than being at work :wink:

I will report when we get back.....
Having posted my thoughts on the 'Complaints' board I am a little confused here. One poster says work is being carried out on the poolside. This is at the back of the hotel and faces shrubland rising upwards towards the centre of the island. When I was there 3 years ago there were no other buildings or even a road behind the hotel.

Another poster says that Thomson are advising that it is down the hill infront of the hotel, which would suggest the beach side of the hotel.

Reading between the lines it appears that the development is behind the pool which would certainly create a nuisance.
As you walk down from the hotel and get to the road turn left and walk along the path, the last restaurant is Kanes then there are some apartments behind it. As you walk down the big bend on your left is the piece of land, before the road goes back up the hill again.

I should imagine if the hotel is being affected then definately Kanes and the apartments will be too.

I cannot remember the name of these apartments though, but they are used by our travel agents.
The Castell Sol apartments!!!!

These are the apartments I couldnt remember the name of in the above post.

These are just below the hotel on the hill that is being affected by the building works.
does anybody have any more info on building work at this hotel??
When are you planning to go?
  • Edited by Acorncup 2005-09-26 12:56:36
going on 29th of august for one week.hope they dont come back and start work with avengence!!!maybe they will still be tired after they're holiday. :wink: I'm going to enjoy myself no matter what anyway. :D :D
Hi

I wrote a but more about the building works in this vaguely-named thread

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=45468

which should explain a bit more.

I hope you have a great time :) 8) :)
thanks for info.what is your sons name?will say hello to him.and let him know what a help you have been.looking forward to a great holiday. be there this time next week. :D :fly
My friend phoned me yesterday from this hotel. She says there is building work down the road from them but there is no noise or any disruption that she can see. She went on to say how lovely the hotel is with a beautiful view and she's having a great time.
We have just got back - lunchtime today, and can confirm that there is no major work going on at the moment. The site office has been open very occasionally, and the most we saw were 2 bricklayers, making no noise!!!!
Thanks for info.Sounds like there is nothing to worry about can't wait to go now. 8) :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.