Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Having been round most of the resorts in Spain I don't think the mainland
is the best place for kids , that is, if you want a beach holiday.The beach around Fuenguirola is a darkish coarse sand not ideal for kids, although not bad.
The best beaches with nice golden sand are on the islands. If I were to choose an inexpensive resort with a good beach which is safe for kids and not too quiet at night. I would go for Es Cana on Ibiza.(Not Santa Eulalia which is becoming part of it). 2nd choice would be Alcudia on Majorca.
Don't be put off by Ibiza's reputation the drunks etc are on the other side of the island.
A lot depends on the age of your children.
On a personal note I would highly recommend Turkey for families, which is very family orientated.
Check out the Turkey forum, which is the busiest on holiday truths and you will find lots of useful info. Prices also tend to be a bit cheaper than Spain in general
I know before I went to Turkey for the first time, I did not really like the sound of it; however I would not go anmywhere else now for my main holiday

Stewart
Turkey is ok but you need to choose your location carefully as a lot of the hotels and apartments are a bus/boat ride away from the beaches. The hotels can be very basic (I was fed up of drying myself with the equivalent of a tea-towel every day) and the rooms were very small.

Fuengirola depends on what time of the year you are planning to go, wouldn't recommend July and August. If you want culture there are some fantastic places within easy reach. Eating out is not expensive. Just my opinion as spain is not so much a culture shock as other places if you have not been abroad before. The above suggestions for Ibiza and majorca are excellent too (love Ibiza 8) ) but they are a bit more expensive than the mainland.
Hi Claire, welcome to HT

As its your first holiday abroad I don't know if you would be prepared to DIY. Your first choice of the Algarve is generally much cheaper that way if you have access to budget carriers(easyjet etc).
Just book 4 flights with easyjet or similar and then your accommodation through someone like http://www.wintersunshineholidays.com. Loads of info on the Algarve forum. Lagos would probably suit you, or the Old town part of Albuferia.

Re. Turkey, I wouldn't DIY there your first time (some of the transfers are long), a package would probably be cheaper and easier. Olu Deniz is a good place for a first timer, it is absolutely stunning, set in mountains and with a lovely lagoon. Busy but with no beer monsters. It's a family resort.
Also it is cheaper than anywhere in the Eurozone for things like eating out and shopping, or if you like AI or HB there is alot of choice. Just read the reviews.

Good Luck, Hope you get sorted. :D :D
Fuengirola is excellent for people of all ages, however on a personal note I'd recommend staying in the nearby Los Boliches resort, that way you can choose what type of holiday you want.
Los Boliches is a quieter resort, but still packed with bars, shops and restaurants. However Fuengirola is only a 10-15 minute stroll away along the sea front if you fancy something a little more lively. In addition Fuengirola's main central bus station will ensure you get to see a load more of the Costa Del Sol without shelling out a load in taxi fares.
Hi Claire - Had a day at Fuengirola this August whilst staying in Benalmadena. Didn't find it overly busy for the time of year, plenty of space on the beach (Sandy/Shingle) Didn't find it tacky, slightly bucket and spade and definitely no groups of lager louts. However we did leave early evening to return to benalmadena. We have two sons, 13 and 10. We visited Albuferia last August and stayed at the Club Alta Da Colina (First Choice). Absolutely excellent complex, plenty for the children, beautiful, large apartments. 8) About a 20 minute walk to 'the strip' and a taxi journey to the old town. We preferred the old town, a beutiful place with a fantastic beach too. We've also done Majorca, Menorca and Ibiza, all lovely places but I agree, slightly more expensive than mainland Spain. Agree with Alrhodes, Es Cana is a lovely family resort. :)
Hi Claire

We live a few minutes away from Fuengirola and the beaches that run from Fuengirola, Los Boliches, Torreblanca and Carvajal are all sandy beaches not shingle!

Mainland Spain is alot cheaper than the Canary Islands or the Balerics...I know from experience...most of the products are exported from Spain therefore more expensive on the islands.

Also, the 'stigma' of lager louts in Spain is long gone....Fuengirola and Torremolinos used to be notorious for 'lager louts' in the 80's-early 90's...but now the towns have regained the dignity of being a popular destination for Spanish tourists! You will find Spanish families strolling with European tourists along the promenade in Fuengirola, Los Boliches and Torreblanca!

If you are based in Fuengirola there is plenty to see and do within a 15 minute drive! Contact the Fuengirola Tourist Office on 0034 952 46 76 25 for more information.
I agree about Fuengirola. I've been there lots of times with my husband and our sons and their children and we've all enjoyed the beaches, they're NOT shingle. The resort is very flat which is good if you've got pushchairs etc. There's a railway that runs from Fuengirola to Malaga with plenty of stops along the way so you can go to other beaches. There's a zoo in Fuengirola, lots of shops and restaurants and if you hop on the train you can get off at a place called Plaza Mayor, just outside Malaga, which has shops, restaurants, bowling alley, cinemas and games machines.

The busiest (and hottest) time would be July and August but outside those times it can be very pleasant, not too crowded. I would definitely rather stay in Fuengirola than Benalmadena or Torremolinos as they're both quite hilly whereas Fuengirola isn't.
I agree about Fuengirola. I've been there lots of times with my husband and our sons and their children and we've all enjoyed the beaches, they're NOT shingle. The resort is very flat which is good if you've got pushchairs etc. There's a railway that runs from Fuengirola to Malaga with plenty of stops along the way so you can go to other beaches. There's a zoo in Fuengirola, lots of shops and restaurants and if you hop on the train you can get off at a place called Plaza Mayor, just outside Malaga, which has shops, restaurants, bowling alley, cinemas and games machines.

The busiest (and hottest) time would be July and August but outside those times it can be very pleasant, not too crowded. I would definitely rather stay in Fuengirola than Benalmadena or Torremolinos as they're both quite hilly whereas Fuengirola isn't.
Hi Claire, we are off to stay at the Ronda IV on Friday. :glynis
This will be about the 5th time, we have stayed in this hotel, and we like it, its just across the road from the beach, and got a lovely pool. :hmmm There are quite a few bars and restaurants just on your doorstep too. There is only a bar in the Hotel and a couple of pool tables. The pool will be shut now( not sure when you are thinking of going) !!!
We have been going to Torrablanca for the last 9 years and we really love it. The beach is lovely and sandy, and not at all shingle. I am sure you will find lots for you to do while you are there.
Oh well 6 more sleeps to our holidays, yipee. :fly
P.S. There will be 20 of us going this time, so should be quite a laugh eh ??? :ghug
Lets know how you get on.
:?:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.