Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Ann-Louise,

Firstly welcome to the site!

Gumbet is a small but lively resort, there are lots of bars and retaurants there and a nice beach plus lots of busyclub/bars if you want busy nightlife. Where are you staying? There are lots of good hotels and apartments too.

If this is your first trip abroad then you have chosen well with Turkey. The weather in May is usually lovely and hot in the day but not scorching and the evenings are fairly warm too, although if you are oging early May you may need a cardigan or something in case it gets cool.

Turkish food is lovely, and the Turkish people are very friendly. You may find that you are asked by eveyone to go into their restaurants and bars, if you don't want to g in just say "no thank you" and they will be fine. Shoppping can be a bit daunting if you have never been to turkey before as they do hassle you a bit but again a "no thank you" usually stops them. Be prepared to haggle for anything you want to buy and watch out for all the "genuine fakes" they sell!

There are a fair number of shops in Gumbet but the best shops are in bodrum, this is just 10 minutes away by dolmus -these are small mini buses that run every 5 minutes 24 hours a day, it's a great way to get about, you just put your hand out and stop it wherever you see it. Bodrum also has good restaurants and nightlife.

When you first arrive at bodrum airport you need to get a visa, just give your passport with a £10 note and they will put a stamp in, it's very simple to do. Gumbet is about 45 minutes away from the airport.

I think I have covered most things, if you want to know anything else just ask. Ilived there for 3 years so I'm sure I can help and I'm sure you are going to love your first trip to Turkey.

Kedi x
Thanks for the reply, very helpful!

We are staying at Ozukara II apartments. What are the prices like for eating out as we are self catering?

Thanks again.
I have stayed in Ozukara 2 and they are lovely apartments, very clean, new and spacious, and the pool is lovely too. They are up a big hill though!

Eating out can be cheap depending on where you eat. Prices range from about £5 per person for a meal and a drink up to about £15. Local kind of retaurants are cheaper than obviously touristy ones and the local ones tend to have the nicest food. If you fancy trying some really nice authentic Turkish food Seray Zetas is the best place to go and it is very reasonable, we were paying about £40 for 4 adults and 2 children last year for a big meal and a couple of drinks.

Drinks can be cheap if you stick to local stuff - Efes lager is nice, or local vodka but if you drink imported spirits like Bacardi or Malibu or cider, Guinness etc is can be very expensive.

Kedi
Welcome to the forums :cheers

If anyone has stayed at the Ozukara 2 apartments and not left a review please do so as ours is way out of date :lol: http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/turkey/bodrum-region/gumbet/ozukara-ii-apartments/

Many thanks
Hi, I have to agree with Kedi - you've made a good choice with Gumbet. We first went there five years ago after getting "all Spained out". To say we fell in love with the place is an understatement - in fact we've now bought our own place over there and whenever we go over (which is as often as possible) I feel more at home there than I do in the village where I've lived for over 20 years (and more people speak to me in Gumbet as they're all so friendly).

What can I tell you about Gumbet to add to what Kedi has said. Be prepared for hills - big 'uns, little 'uns, all sizes - but that's what makes Gumbet such a lovely place. Do take the time to explore the rest of the peninsula, it's dead easy to get about by dolmus - all dolmus (buses) run to Bodrum and when you get there, you just jump on another one - Bitez, Yalikavak, Turgetries, Gumusluk, Gundogan and others are all nice places to visit and the journeys are good.

You might find the hassle a little daunting - especially if it's your first time abroad but just don't feel pressured into anything. We just natter away to everybody (I know some people say just to keep on walking but we like to talk and in the end, they get to know you and the pressure goes away). Just treat it as a bit of fun. The genuine fakes - they're great, my "designer" handbag collection is massive now (I say I won't buy another one every time I go, but I do!).

Don't miss out on having a Turkish bath - they're fantastic. Also try a boat trip on a traditional gulet - you can choose between relaxing ones where everybody tends to fall asleep or livelier ones where there's music all day. May is a great time to go to Gumbet as the season's just started - it's not too busy and the weather's great. Do explore the place - although quite compact it does tend to vary in atmosphere depending on where you're staying, eating, drinking. Also take the time to try out the smaller places as well as the more livelier ones - you can have some great nights out. You don't say how old you are but Gumbet caters for everybody - there's Bar St for the younger set, and then there's other bars that attract a more - well I was going to say mature but we go with my daughter and son in law and they're only in their 20s and don't go on Bar St. It all depends on what you want. As for eating out - well there's everything to choose from at all prices. We've never had a bad meal out.

We love the people out there and have made so many friends - I love my second home in Gumbet and could rave on about it for ages. Hope you have a great hol and if you want to know anything else, just ask - I'm sure Kedi and I between us can answer your questions.

Jakki
Thanks very much for all the info and i'm really glad to hear positive stories! I'm 23 and my husband is 35 but we are taking our 3 and 4 year old children so won't be clubbing. Just looking for a good family holiday :)
Another quick Q from my husband ... We've been told they do trips to swim with the dolphins, is this right?
They do have trips to swim with dolphins but apparently they don't keep the dolphins in good conditions so if you care about animals maybe you will want to give this one a miss.

We have two children aged 2 and 4 and they love it in Turkey. Yours will get a lot of fuss made of them, the Turkish people love children and will do anything for them. Every restaurant will have a kids menus and if you don't find what you like they will always do you a small portion of something else. As you are going in May it wont be too hot but make sure you take lots of sun cream for them as it is expensive over there.
Hi, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread, but we are thinking of going to Turkey next year. wee ahve never been but a friend of mine lives near Bodrum and she seems to think we would like it there. What is everyones view about this and can anyone reccomend a good hotel or SC apt 3star. We are a family of three, our son will be 11 by the time we go. We don't like it rowdy but need plenty to do of an evening, ie, entertainment, perhaps some crazy golf or trampolines, stuff like that. Plenty trips etc and a sandy beach. Can anyone tell us if Bodrum is for us ( or does my friend just want me to go to see her? :D )
ThaNKS.
I think she just wants you to go and see her ;)

But I can assure you that you won't be disappointed!!! :tup
Cazz,I am going to Gumbet,near Bodrum in May for the first time,having been to other resorts all over Turkey for the last 20 years.
I am going to the hotel Parkim Ayaz which is right on the beach and has 2 swimming pools,one with slides and it seems to have lots for children.
I think the standard rooms have a double and a single bed.
It is available with Thomson,Thomas Cook and Portland.It worked out cheaper going HB than SC but we will still eat out as the restaurants in Turkey are excellent.
I chose it because of the position,excellent price and the good reviews.
I will give a truthful review on my return. :sun2
Well I lived near Bodrum too Cazz and I loved it so did ervyone who came to visit me. I would think that one of the resorts outside is best to stay in rather than in Bodrum itself if you like going to the beach as Bodrum doesn't really have a beach as such. Gumbet is the nearest resort and there are some great apartments there. Ozukara 2 where Ann Louise is going is lovely so is Ozukara 1, also Siesta Beach, Tropicana and Jasmine Beach.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.