Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
There is not a lot to choose between any of the Airlines you mentioned. They are all pretty good, each having their strong points. Malaysia has more leg room in their economy than the others. Singapore have the best entertainment system (be good for your children) but cramped seating. Quantas also don't have a lot of legroom in economy. You will get regular meals on the plane but sometimes you have to wait a while as it takes along time to get around to everyone. I expect as an Insulin dependent diabetic you carry a little food around with you for emergencies anyway, but don't take too much as Australia has very strict regulations on food being taken in to the country.
Check http://www.airlinequality.com for comments on different airlines.
I am travelling to Adelaide next week with Malaysia Airlines, first time with them but have heard good things about their service and good seat pitch.
Hi Everyone, I am planning a short notice trip to Australia to visit my sis.

I'm very new to this, having a bit of trouble finding out the info I need to book so would be very grateful for info regarding flights and stopovers.

I'm bigger than av. and my hip isn't too good, so I'm a bit worried about sitting so long in an uncomfortable seat. I found out that JAL and Malaysia Airlines have larger seat pitches but am wondering whether it would be better to try and book 2 stopovers or carry straight on and get it over with.

Also, what about jabs and visas for stopovers? I know I need one for Australia, and can get one quickly, but do you need visas and jabs for all the stopover choices? or does the fact that you have an onward flight make it ok?

I've been waiting for call-backs from dif agents since friday, but they seem to be really busy and time is getting shorter, I'd like to go in about 2 weeks.

All help and advice gratefully received. :D
Hi Tide

Can't help with all your questions but we are going to Oz shortly, we are not having any visas or jabs for the stopovers.

I would suggest you look on the various airlines web pages for information on seat pitches, we are with BA and Qantas and both sites give this information if you look around the site.
tidewatching,

The FCO's website is a good start for visa, jab and general travelling advice. All travelling requirements for every country is listed individually so you should be able to find virtually everything you need their.

For information on airline comfort, Seat Guru provides plenty of information on seat dimensions, pitch etc. Carsurvey is quite good for airline reviews.

Darren
for jabs and health warnings i use the following site for my info

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/

wizard
Leg room wise you cant really go wrong with Emirates, Virgin are not too bad either. I flew with Singapore Airlines and there legroom was excellent.
Another option if you are flying to Sydney is Air Canada via Vancouver as they have a 34" seat pitch, and you would not need to wory about vacinations or visa's if you are a UK citizen. However remember all British Citizens travelling to australia require a visa. If you are stopping off in Japan, Singapore, Malaysia or Hong Kong you wont need a visa. If you go via the US you will need to comply with the US Visa waiver scheme. Health details i would check with you GP or Practice nurse.
Many thanks to you all. sandbee. Dazbo 5. Wizard and Goldeneye.

I've looked at the excellent web sites you mention, and have now booked with Emirates, stoppvers Singapore out and Dubai back, and no need for jabs or visas (other than the one for Oz which my agent at Travelmood fixed up for me.

She was great in booking me exactly what I asked for including well recommended hotels and transfers at both stopovers and a city tour, as well as flight into Brisbane and out of Sydney. The Singapore transfer seemed a bit expensive at £29.00 each way, but as an inexperinced female traveller. travelling alone, it's worth it if only for peace of mind.

Thank you all

8)
I have just returned from a trip to Oz travelling with JAL airlines and stopping over in Japan...I cant rate jal high enough fantastic service and if you can get a flight on a Boeing 777 there is plenty of leg room..my flight included a hotel stopover on the return leg and the hotel was in the viscinity of the airport so no other trasportation was required..I loved Sydney a very clean city and lots to see and do..good luck on your forthcoming visit tidewatching
Hello

We are going to Australia next year and I know this may have been asked before but can anyone recommend a airline??

We have had some horrendous flights in the last couple of year and the thought of being cramped up in a tiny chair for 24 hrs is really putting me off!

My Husband is 6 ft 3 so we need a airline that has a decent size seat? Any ideas???

Thanks in advance :lol:
glitterygirl,

It might be worth having a look at Seat Guru which gives seating plans for all the major airlines flying to Auistralia, and seat pitches. For reviews, have a look at Airline Quality and Car Survey.

Darren
I just returned from OZ, I flew with Malaysian Airlines they have a 34inch seat pitch which is 3inches more than BA or Quantas. The extra legroom certainly made a difference. You will have to change planes in Kuala Lumpur, we made a stopover both ways one night in KL and 3nights in Penang. Malaysia Airlines will give you a free flight to anywhere in Malaysia if you are using them to fly to Australia.
My choice would be Malaysian. we flew to Kuala Lumpa with them several years ago and couldn`t fault them. The meals were fantastic , which is very rare. The leg room in economy was the best I`ve ever seen and very comfortable.My husband and I are 5`9`` and 5`11``and we had loads of room. As far as I can remember I think their prices are good.

Have a look at some of the websites on here with the seat pitches.

Christine W
For me its Singapore airlines or Cathay Pacific.
Thanks

Does anyone know what the seat pitch is in on charter flights so I have something to compare it to?
glitterygirl,use the sites,dazbo5,has recommended,you will have all the information,you require,on those.
they are really infomative.
tracy
Hi

I have had a look at these and whilst they are very helpfull for comparing scheduled airlines I could be missing somethng but they did not have any charter information on them.

I want to know the average seat pitch for a charter flight so that I have a comparison to go by
hi!
airline quality does.
click on seats,on the yellow bar.then a drop down will appear,with seat pitch on.click on that,then click on europe & practically every airline,is on there.to compare other airlines,click on anywhere in the world,you want.
don't think theres many,not listed.
it's really useful
tracy
Hi, I`m off to Oz on 5th Feb. Qantas. What plane am I likely to be on and what seat config can I expect? There are 3 of us going and would be grateful for any info. Thanks, Sue.
Where are you travelling to in OZ?
Qantas flights are usually 747-400, seat config in economy is 3-4-3
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.