America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I would also be interested in any replies to this topic. We are thinking about touring the Rockies/Vancouver area in a motorhome in 2010 the same as we did in New Zealand in 2007.
Hi Oklahoma, I can certainly recommend the Rockies and all the places we visited last time. We stayed in hotels, motels and a log cabin but saw lots of HUGE motorhomes. Here are some pictures from our last trip:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/191965/index_all.html

Really looking forward to revisiting Canada and seeing some new places. I've had some recommendations for Tofino on Vancouver Island and also want to visit Whistler, so any more information would be welcomed.

Judith, thanks for the PM, have replied to you.
Thank you for those STUNNING photos Maria, it certainly looks like the sort of place we would love to visit. It's very early days in our research of the area. :)

Judith thank you from me too :)
Vancouver Island would be worth at least part of your trip - the ferries are (by cross channel standards) cheap although the locals moan like hell about the cost
Still not got very far with planning our trip. We were thinking originally going in June but are now wondering about September. Could anyone tell me if September is a sensible option for doing the trip?? Thank you :)
Hi Oklahoma - I think September should be good, though it may already be getting cooler by the end of the month.

We got home last Sunday from our trip to British Columbia. The trip lived up to our expectations and more, all the accommodation was good and all arrangements went according to plan. Even the weather was mainly good (just a couple of days rain) and the second week was glorious.

Some highlights - Butchart gardens - especially seeing them illuminated at night. Whale watching at Tofino - we saw grey whales and orcas. All creatures great and small - from whales to tiny hummingbirds, beavers, eagles, bears and many others that we don't have in the UK. Whistler mountain - exploring via the cable cars and trails and to cap it all a barbeque on Whistler mountain on our last night.

our itinerary:

20th June, arrive in Vancouver in the evening - 1 night Delta hotel
- next morning, fly to Victoria pick up (one way) rental car
- 2 nights Gazebo B&B - visit Butchard gardens and Victoria
- drive to Tofino - 4 nights Ocean village Resort (Pacific coast, whale watching)
- drive to Comox, ferry to Powell River on Sunshine Coast - 2 nights Desolation Resort
- ferry Saltery Bay to Earls Cove - 2 nights Ruby Lake
- ferry Langdale to Horseshoe Bay - drive to Whistler (site of 2010 winter olympics)
- 3 nights Chalet Luise Whistler
- drop off car at Vancouver airport and back home

Will have some pictures, when I've sorted them out - took hundreds!
Sounds as though you had a great time.

Judith
Your trip sounds wonderful ( and tiring).. :)
Thanks Maria for your reply on here and also your pm. I'm very grateful to those who have given me information which will help us to decide how to plan our holiday :)
I've started to put my trip picures on Flickr - I'm still adding to this, as I took loads, so call back, if you are interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31693460@N06/sets/72157620538664991/
lovely pictures Maria, they bring back some good memories.

Judith
Wonderful photos - thank you for sharing!!
Thanks so much for posting those pictures. We are visiting Vancouver and the Rockies in September for the first time, and they really set the scene.

P
x
Just been looking through your Flickr sets Maria, you have some wonderful photos! I see you've bought the G1, I'm jealous! :)
We have the outline of our trip now. We will fly to Vancouver in June, 3 nights in a hotel there, 16 nights in a large motorhome travelling from Vancouver to Calgary via the Rockies, 2 nights in Calgary flying back from Calgary early July. Just need to sort out our route in the motorhome. :)
Hi Oklahoma,

We did the Vancouver to Calgary trip in September. We did the Rocky Mountaineer for part of it and then hired a car, but if you want any info please contact me.

It was fantastic, a real experience, and the cities were as good as the Mountains!

P
x
Thank you Pat, I may take you up on that when we look into our route in more detail.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.