Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
cate_taylor,

There's plenty of information about travelling with babies over on the General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips Forum. For example;

On holiday with children, what do you do?
First Holiday with Baby
First holiday abroad with baby - pushchair?
Is it easy to go abroad with a baby?

You only need to take the girls out of the buggy at security, not while queing since it could take a while if it's busy. It's best to start preparing yourself before you get to the front of the queue so any belts, anything in pockets etc should be placed in bags. You can concentrate on the girls then. Once you get near the front, start thinking about removing the girls from the buggy to minimise any hold-ups. Security staff will be on hand to assist you. The buggy should go through the x-ray machine if collapsed. If it won't fit, they may insist you dismantle parts of it until it will fit. Teethers will need to be in the 1L clear plastic bag along with liquids / gels. You can keep the pump for the buggy with the buggy, in your hand luggage or your hold luggage. As it's not a restricted item, it doesn't matter. Just make sure it can't be lost if kept with the buggy. The buggy bag will be fine and probably appreciated by the handlers. Keep the bag with the buggy and it won't be classed as an extra bag. If you use it to store and transport items other than your buggy, then it will be. Security staff will help out where they can, but it's unlikely they'll fast track you unless they're feeling generous. Fast track lanes are normally seperate to normal channels.

Darren
Just been looking on Stansted airports website and it says that hubby and I will have to taste 50 percent of the contents of the containers if we have milk or water in bottles. Does this mean:

That if we have 2 bottles with 200mls water in each bottle that we'll have to drink 100mls from each bottle?

or

Is it drink 100mls from 1 bottle?

or and I'm hoping it's this one

A small amount from 1 bottle?

If we've started weaning, the girls will noly be on baby rice and we'll have the amount of the powder needed in small containers and add water or formula to it.
cate_taylor,

Is it drink 100mls from 1 bottle?

It's from each bottle or anyone wishing to take any restricted liquids through could get around the regulations. In reality, security only want you to demonstrate the contents is what you say it is by sampling it. I doubt they'll make you consume 50%, but will insist on a good taste.

Darren
Update and a few more questions. I have decided that it's going to be easier to buy the ready made cartons of formula airside rather than have to taste contents of bottles, I assume that taking empty bottles through security will be ok?

Next one, we are going to take our iCandy pushchair with us but will have the car seats on the chassis instead of the seat units. We will have a bag for the buggy to go in with us as well as the proper bags for the car seats to go in. I am hoping that security will be ok with this as the tags will be on each bag that will be going in the hold?

To carry the girls from the gate to the plane and from the plane to baggage reclaim, we will use front carriers, is there any chance that security will try to say we have more than 1 piece of hand luggage? To give you some idea, we will be travelling end of April, last week when the girls were weighed age 12 weeks, one was 12lb 12.5oz and the other 11lb 13oz. By the time we travel I reckon the girls could be weighing as much as almost 17lb for H and almost 16 for S. I'm thinking that front carriers are going to be the easiest and safest way to carry them. Hubby and I have also talked about the possibility of handing pushchair and car seats in at check in and using front carriers (that is providing that security won't count these as being our 1 piece of hand luggage) after I've looked at the pushchair and the only parts that could be removed to make it slightly narrower if it has to go through the scanner at security are the back wheels. The front carriers will be put in overhead locker with our coats.

At Stansted, do pushchairs and car seats arrive on the same carousel as other luggage or will they be with outsize/fragile items.

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions.
I took my girls in front carriers when the were babies and I have never been told they are classed as a piece of luggage.

Going back to your original post and your query about disapproving passengers if your babies cry my advice is to completely ignore anone who looks disapproving or says anbything. Anyone who has had children will be sympathtic and a baby crying isn't such a big problem anyway. My girls have had their share of crying in public places and getting stressed about what other people think wont help so just don't worry about it.
Have contacted Belfast International Airport and spoke to a very helpful man who has said that if we have electronic items in our hand luggage then we are likely to have to have bags hand searched and electronics put through seperate process with electronics taking priority over bags with liquids in them. I asked about taking empty bottles through to save having to taste contents and he said that's allowed but check with Boots airside to make sure they stock the milk our girls are on. He then said that we only need to taste 50% of the contents which is that if we have 4 bottles, we have to taste 2 of them, (I was thinking that if we had 8oz in the bottles, we'd have to drink 4ozs). Here's the good bit, we don't have to drink from the bottle but put a couple drops on the back of our hands and taste from there.

I've joined the forums on easyjet and asked if the policy of opening check in 20 minutes late has stopped and also asked how far apart hubby and I are likely to be if we can't sit on the same row or one row behind the other.

The girls are currently being fed between 5-6pm and flight is at 7.15pm so check in should be opening at 5.15. If the girls ask for their feed at 5 then we'll be feeding them while waiting for check in to open but if they don't want feeding until nearer 6pm, they could be wanting fed while we're going through security and both have loud hunger cries with S's being high pitched as well. My biggest fear is that both girls are crying while we're going through security and getting evil looks from other passengers.

I'm going expecting the worst which is check in opens late, girls asking for food while we're going through security and only having 30 minutes to get them changed and fed before we have to be at the gate. One of my friends on Facebook has suggested changing the girls when we get to the airport but I'm not sure if there's baby change facilities near check in. I can't find the map of the facilities in the terminal on the website.
Oh dear Cate! Please try to stop fretting about this trip - if you work yourself up into a state your lovely daughters will too. Whatever happens will happen and you can't control everything - if the girls start to scream the place down in security, well everybody else is just going to have to lump it.

One thing that crosses my mind is to ask whether they will only take a bottle when hungry? Or could you arrange things so that you arrive at the airport a little early, say 4.30? And give them a little top-up then so as to take the edge off their appetite while you and they are relaxed before queuing at check-in etc? Even if you don't want to give them milk at that time a little boiled water might be just enough to do the trick and is probably a good idea between feeds anyway given the air-con in the terminal and in the plane. That way you could give them a further small feed after you're safely through check-in and security and before boarding?

I know that this is probably something that you wouldn't want to do on a regular basis - it sounds as if you've established a regular routine that you are trying not to disrupt too much - but I think that you need to weigh this against the anxiety that this trip seems to be such a major source of for you. And if for just this time, feeding them a little but more frequently helps ease your nerves and passage through the airport, well is that such a big deal? Especially since being ready to give them either milk or water in a bottle once on the plane and after take-off will help minimise ear problems for them too?

SM
Thanks SMa. We do sometimes give the girls water between feeds. They won't take their milk unless they're hungry. We have used water to pacify them when we haven't had bottles of milk ready in time and it does work but only for a very short time so if security are slow then we could still have both crying. We do plan on being at the airport around 4.15-4.30 as I've found out that we can check in online and use the 'bag drop'. Just have to find out how that works with us having the girls pushchair (not the iCandy but an umbrella folding one which my parents have got for us and posted over).
cate_taylor wrote:
Just have to find out how that works with us having the girls pushchair

It works in the same way as regular check-in. Once you've checked-in online, drop your bags off at the baggage desk then go through security. Your pushchair(s) will be collected at the gate as normal.

Darren
We travelled to Majorca when our twins were 7 months old (now 8 years) and lived to tell the tale.......

We took Steri-bottles and cartoned milk and just opened the cartons as and when required and ditched the bottles when they were used. Obviously we flew before all the restrictions so have no idea whether cartoned milk is acceptable or not but perhaps something for you to consider? Alternatively your own idea of water and the milk powder dispensers is a good one (I just didn't want dirty bottles sitting in our bag)

We took our buggy with us to the gate and put our twins into Baby Bjorn carriers and put the buggy in a buggy bag (which was so big it resembled a body bag). It was taken from us at the gate and put onto the aircraft. If you go thru' security with twins in buggy, they will check the buggy over and may ask you to remove your twins from it to fully check seats etc. The buggy bag wasn't seen as being an extra bag and there was no problem at either end taking it thru'. They do NOT count baby slings as hand luggage! We had them in their carriers and we had backpacks on our bags so that we had our hands free.

Once onboard Myself and hubby were separated only by one row (for the sake of oxygen masks) and to be honest were of little use to each other. I was sat next to a very nice couple who kindly held onto my son when I needed to pop to the loo. We didn't have the option of deciding beforehand who was sitting on who's lap becos' we hadn't been told prior to check-in that it wouldn't be possible to seat us in the same row. We managed okay tho all things considered.

Keep a bottle of milk/juice for take off and landing!!! Helps little ears!

Your buggy pump, put in your hold luggage, there's very little chance you'll need it at either airport , not sure that it would be a safety issue mind, but might save it from going AWOL.

Very very doubtful that there will be any fast-tracking for parents...as for disapproving looks from other passengers....IGNORE them! Those that have had kids will understand becos' they've been thru' it. Those that haven't got kids....tough, they might well be thankful they haven't. DO NOT WORRY about what anyone else is thinking!!!!!! You could spend your whole time aplogising but for what, they are babies....just wait till you get to the tantrum toddler stage....that's when the fun REALLY starts, especially when they kick off together!
Thanks tisonlymoi, good to hear from someone else who's flown with twins. We're not taking the iCandy anymore, have got a side by side stroller type to use as good weather or travelling pushchair. I'm pleased you've said that front carriers aren't counted as a bag, same with buggy bag which I'm hoping to get from Ebay.

For feeds, we're going to buy ready made cartons in Boots airside, the only things which'll have anything in will be their cups of water. Think that's the easiest with the restrictions.

I've also joined the forums for Easyjet on Get Satisfaction (link to it from FAQ's on Easyjet's website, a very helpful employee has said that hubby and I might not be 1 row behind the other, knowing that in advance makes packing easier.

For ears popping, they'll either be drinking water from their bottles or sucking on dummies or thumbs.

Thanks for tips on coping with disapproving looks from others if the girls cry. Hoping that if they're crying in security area that we'll get helpful staff who'll get us through quicker. If they cry on the plane, I'll apologise to passengers nearest just to be polite.

Have noted your comment about tantrum age.
No problems, when we went we took our 2nd buggy (Maclaren Twin Techno), Maclarens twin buggy bags are massive - managed to get all our beach towels in it as well (well it's padding isn't it) ;)

When we went again when ours were 3, they were having a major kick off in the check-in queue becos' we'd put them in the buggy and we were getting a lot of 'looks', till I loudly said to hubby "Jeez, you'd really think some people had never seen toddlers having a tantrum would you!" At the end of the day babies cry and I don't think anyone would be horrible enough to make you feel bad becos' if it!

I'm sure you'll have a completely uneventful flight, ours were brilliant on the 2.5 hour flight, my little boy puked on the nice lady who'd offered to hold him while I went to the loo (I was mortified but she was lovely) but other than that, they were absolutely fine.

Happy Hols! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.