Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
In a word......YES.
Seriously though,it is very cheap to eat out,both in shacks and restaurants.
I can't give you any exact prices,but somewhere on HT (if you hunt thru)are menus from a couple of the shacks.
Compared to UK, prices are peanuts.
Pretty sure that one or more of the HT regulars will be more helpful regarding exact prices :cheers Paula
Mainly i wanted a price for cokes, water etc and maybe a starter and main meal.

Thanks for replying ;)

Michelle x
Hey

I run a website that I put a 2009 trip report on. If you flick down the detailed report to Food & Drink I photocopied a couple of receipts that have the price of Coke, Main meals, Alcohol and Lemon Sodas on if this helps.

http://www.wildrossendale.co.uk/GoaTripReport-2009.html

You will probably find most of the info not applicable due to the nature of the topic but at least you get the receipt info.

Starlight restaurant was one of the cheapest around Arpora and the food was more authentic I thought...it appealed to us due to the amount of locals that used it.

Prices elsewhere were a touch more expensive maybe 20% more in general but all prices are very reasonable and would expect that most tastes and budgets are catered for.
:offtop sorry

Sleeper I just wanted to comment on your website although I am not into birds as such I can and do appreciate them especially some of the ones we see in Goa but your website is so interesting and your photographs are outstanding. I will definately be walking around with more open eyes when we are back there.

Julie
Julie

Thanks very much for the kind words. took a lot to put into into "words" but it really was a labour of love. Thanks again. Blush blush
Michelle
its incredibly cheap to eat out and drink out and the choices are vast, hundreds of brilliant restaurants, you will never get round them all believe me... water about 20p.... coke a bit dearer but not much about 30 rps i think although i dont drink it so not sure but tonic is 35/40rps .... average starter from 70 to 150 rps ...average main meal (Indian) 150-350 rps depending on choice, but of course you can spend more...and a lot less!! we can eat and drink for under 500 rps...there are some great restaurants with music and dancing and most restaurant (tourist and local) have about 5 menus...Continental, Indian, Goan, Italian and chinese so loads of choice for every palete and also some superb a la carte restaurants, these can be dearer but still very reasonable indeed and loads less than the uk, you could have a meal ie starter (160rp ish), main (350 ish) and dessert (170 ish) for approx 600/700 rps in a decent restaurant such as souymiens (plus drinks extra) or pay much more at somewhere like Au reverie and After seven...but the quality of these type of places is often 1st class and so represents value for money...but personally i love the local restaurants .... the prices are off the top of my head so may not be 100%!! juices are about 100/150 in shacks i think
So pleased to see you are considereing Goa i know you said to me mths ago you were tempted!!!and thanks for all your advice re Sharm by the way :) we are just back
let us know if there is anything else you need to know they are a great knowledgable bunch on here...oh and we all meet up on a wed night too so if you fancy it add your name to the thread when you are booked :) its a minefirld of info 1st hand we even still learn of new places to go from the 2/3 weekers and we live in Goa!!
chilly
I think i am having a problem :D I have a week left for annual leave, and have to take it by the end of march 31st 2011. What i was hoping was combine say the 23rd march for 2 or 3 weeks. But that leads into April :que i have read everywhere is packed up then :cry Isnt this a good time to go, i do not want it to be deserted and not go in the sea.

Sorry that was slightly off topic, thanks everyone for responding :tup

Michelle xx
Michelle A bottle of Vodka is £1 30p yes £1.30 and a bottle of whiskey is a bit less than £2.we dont smoke but you can get 200 cigs for about £4.....colleen
Was i asking for prices for ciggies :rofl i don't smoke, i must have been having a senior moment ! I must confess i do enjoy the whisky though. Thank you for your reply.
i have read everywhere is packed up then Isnt this a good time to go, i do not want it to be deserted and not go in the sea.

Hi Michelle

End of March/April is a lot quieter but there are still places open. I have been at the end of April several times and there are still enough restaurants and beach shacks to enjoy your holiday. The downside on this time of year is the heat, it is very humid and sticky so you will need to make sure your accommodation has a/c in the bedroom.

Enjoy your holiday. :cheers
yes thats true Katie and certainly to the end of march is ok but this year Katie it was very quiet in April and a lot of places packed up very early... and of course there are no sat night markets etc however Michelle i think if you are getting the end of march week in aswell you would be ok as beginning of April wouldnt be so bad ...but as Katiep says very very humid but then it was very humid right throughh from Feb this year so who knows :que the weather/climate the world over is so unpredictable now... we had 44 in the shade in sharm last week it was terrible and everyone was complining even the locals!!! should have been about 34!!
personnaly Michelle if those are the only dates you have i would go for it as i am sure you will still have a great time ...
chilly
I was thinking the 23rd March ? I may just go 2 weeks for my first time, then if i like it can go for 3 weeks in November next year.

Thanks for the replies :sun2
Michelle you might as well go for the three by the time you have paid your flights and three makes all the difference, but of course its up to you..... :que but i would... sure you will loove it
chilly ;)
Hi Michelle :tup

Easter is at the end of April next year so there should be no problem with things closeing that early and the all markets were on until the end of April this year even though nobody could get out to Goa due to the volcano in Iceland :fly

We was there until the end of May and still found plenty of places to eat and bop the night away also more than enough shacks with sunbeds :sun2 on Baga and Anjuna beaches

We was dancing to live bands at Cavala in Baga until 1 am right up to the day we left :cry have a look at their line up for last April

http://www.cavala.com/entertainment.html

Come and enjoy :cheers
meagain do they have any music on in Feb or March please ...colleen
We was dancing to live bands at Cavala in Baga

hey meagain, thought u and her indoors didnt like cavala!!!!!! :que seem to remember us suggesting it in May??? and ending up not going?? am i having a senior moment :D when did u sneak off there :think chilly :D
Hi Colleen :wave:
I think they have live music all season at least one night a week and there are a few other places nearer the river as well

Hi Chilly
It was one of those things that just seem to happen in Goa and after you had gone home. :que

Carlos the drummer phoned to say his band was playing at Cavala and he would like to see us before we went home and then Luscious Linda wanted to go out with us, so we took her there but the prices were silly, a small beer was 70 Rps and if you wanted to eat you needed arrange a mortgage first.

Suppose it is not expensive compared to the UK and there was live music but like you we don't like to encourage overcharging so we drank water most of the night and I know you are allergic to it :yikes

Carlos and his mates were great but he asked Ann to sing a duet with Reggie from Jambalaya for the people that run Cavala, so think we was lucky not to get thrown out :rofl
am i having a senior moment

You are much too young to have one of those, must just be your normal blonde moment :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.