General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Forum Manners
48 Posts
:tup

Agreed. Common decency is easy, but continues to become more and more uncommon.

I try to show the respect that I would expect from other posters.

Must Do Better!
Just one point re replying to thank people for replies to queries.
Once your question has been answered correctly and you have thanked the respondee, it seems a waste of time to continually go back to thank others who say "I agree" with that answer.
Generally speaking I think the forum is quieter simply because it appears to be only for holiday related issues nowadays and the general banter and discussions on the news etc takes place elsewhere.

I do admit however that I have probably been rude without thinking in the past, as BCake says
Must try harder!
Hi BCake and Del, yes, it made me realise too how it important it is to make sure that I do reply myself whenever I post an initial query etc :-). And, yes, I agree, I don't think that it is really necessary to reply to each and every post into a thread you have started, especially so if on the whole the information is very similar.

The instances that stood out to me and that I was referring to were those where the OP hadn't acknowledged anybody's replies. A number of the threads were composed of the question and a single or very small number of replies that were never acknowledged at all, even though the OP had been back on HT after the post was made and had presumably read it. I have to admit that where I see that, it is a considerable disincentive to adding any further information that might have been helpful. It's noticeable that the longer threads are those where it has turned into a dialogue between the OP and others. It becomes a conversation between everybody and in the end produces a lot of useful information whereas those where a one or two people reply but receive no acknowledgement soon peter out.

SM
I've posted one or two replies to people who cried for help because their computer was broken or they couldnt send emails only to be met with silence thereafter, so I agree its very bad manners to post and not even acknowlege the reply.
I agree too, a simple thanks can go a very long way - I know Phil/Chris were investigating the possibility of a 'Thanks' button, which I and others have seen in other forums (in my case a DIY one), where the original poster would simply hit the 'Thanks' button once he has received his answers hopefully to his satisfaction, and the poster of the helpful post gets an e-mail saying 'thanks', so everyone is happy.

One point I would say though, sometimes long standing members on here are a little curt/short with their responses or even sarcastic (I am not aiming this at anyone but just in general), and it can be a little off putting, especially to new posters, and who can blame them if they don't come back. So whilst I agree it never hurts anyone to say thanks, it also doesn't hurt anyone to be courteous and polite.

Just a thought
The problem with "manners to new posters" is that most of the new posters do not want to given the answers that the members supply! They want to hear that they should get:-
A) 100% COMPENSATION
B)A free holiday
C)100% compensation and a free holiday!
or any other answer apart from what is normally the truth supplied by people who have been in the same situation or have gained sufficiant knowledge thru the number of times that they have holidayed/travelled etc.
The members who reply will normally start off by giving a helpfull informative answer in a friendly tone but when the recipiant does not like the answer supplied that is when sarcassim may enter the conversations and to be honest i do not blame them :rofl .

In my own comunnications with the longstanding members of this forum i can only say that i have nothing but praise for their honesty and help received :)

Regards
Alan
mobile fitter wrote:
The problem with "manners to new posters" is that most of the new posters do not want to given the answers that the members supply! They want to hear that they should get:-
A) 100% COMPENSATION
B)A free holiday
C)100% compensation and a free holiday!
or any other answer apart from what is normally the truth supplied by people who have been in the same situation or have gained sufficiant knowledge thru the number of times that they have holidayed/travelled etc.
The members who reply will normally start off by giving a helpfull informative answer in a friendly tone but when the recipiant does not like the answer supplied that is when sarcassim may enter the conversations and to be honest i do not blame them :rofl .

In my own comunnications with the longstanding members of this forum i can only say that i have nothing but praise for their honesty and help received :)

Regards
Alan

:tup plus one.

The classic I love (sic) is when you aren't saying what the poster wants to hear, so are told that it's obvious you work for first choice, Travel Republic, Thomas Cook, Ryanair, BA, etc and that's why you are giving the answer you are giving :duh

I find it quite insulting really, Can't they see that many have over 5000 posts, and probably only 200 or so trying to help people in the complaints forum.
I would like a "thanks" button. I dislike looking on a site with a new post only find a thank you.

I have noticed fewer posts recently, I don't know why this is a good site.
perhaps one reason why some new posters get short answers is because the question they have asked is one that is answered every two weeks or so and which would only take a minutes search to find.
del949 wrote:
perhaps one reason why some new posters get short answers is because the question they have asked is one that is answered every two weeks or so and which would only take a minutes search to find.

In fairness to new posters I think it takes time to find yourself around a new site, I know it does me :yikes
Sorry but I agree completely with SMa. i made a similar comment recently on the Tunisia forum where I and another regular member had replied to somebody's query, and I'd even given them the time of trains for a trip in which they were interested, but we had no response whatsoever. On further checking I noticed that the poster had done exactly the same on another forum.earlier in the year.

Like most of the regulars, I have always done my best to answer questions where possible. Whilst Miss Pink suggests that some of us might be slightly curt on occasions, I think this is often when the answer to a query is not only already on the forum, as Del says, but just a couple of posts above it. :roll:
I've been a member for many years and I do think a lot of the 'heart' has gone out of HT now. The only reason I remain a member is that there are still some lovely people who have helped me out in the past and I know will help me in the future if I need their advice. By the same token I feel an obligation to keep a motherly eye on the Tunisia forum.
The only saving grace I have is that helpful replies may still be picked up by Google which in turn may help someone else. I know it's a long way off from a personal thank you though. :(
Mmmm, it is frustrating giving a lengthy researched reply for it just to be ignored with no response or reply from the OP, I know the particular posts that that Aslemma is referring too, to be honest I hadn't even noticed that the original post by this individual got a lengthy detailed reply from myself just to be ignored.

However I have noted it now and won't be rushing to help this individual with any other information, yes this compounds the problem however a quick thank you or reply costs nothing and goes a LONG way in encouraging further help and replies.
I very rarely post on here these days.

There are a number of reasons for this but the main one is I generally have nothing constructive to say on a topic that has not already been said by someone before me. The other is there is less to interest me because there is less and less stuff being posted. Vicious circle I know and I contribute ( or don't as the case is) to the general apathy. I suppose I should try harder. I used to be very active in various topics.

That said, I agree with what Sma has said and also with what Pinky has said.

Time and time again in the past I took the trouble to provide detailed responses to certain questions, sometimes more than once for the same thing and there was not even an acknowledgement. Equally, I have seen the other side where "newbies" have probably asked a question in all innocence and have been met with a smart @r5ed and sarcastic response by people who really should gi their heads a shake and cast their minds back to what it was like for them when they first joined. People are hardly going to be encouraged to join and contribute to a forum given some of the superior attitude comments they get back. Not exactly welcoming and is quite frankly rude and I wonder if some people are like that in real life instead of in keyboard land.

Not sure how it would be fixed but I do think something like the "Thanks" button would be good..or the twofacebook "like" or even something similar to the TA "was this helpful..yes/no". There are other forums ( such as a diving one I go in) that have this type of thing in place and it does work. Manners cost nowt.
I think I am contributing less as well these days also demoralised by giving comprehensive replies that then get ignored, even a thanks would do.

The only place I see people being a bit abrupt with people is in complaints, never elsewhere.

But then yet again today we have a poster suggesting that the likes of myself, sunaddict, SMa, Denny, Cyprus100, and various other of the very few regulars left on here work for the particular travel company being complained about.

We all must have 20 jobs as so many company's are subject to complaints, do they think we work for them all ?

Frankly it's laughable all they need to do is check our profile and the diversity of our posts to see we are just holidaymakers trying to help.

I used to look up the terms and conditions of the various company's they had booked with (they were obviously too lazy to bother with this) but not anymore.
doe wrote:
But then yet again today we have a poster suggesting that the likes of myself, sunaddict, SMa, Denny, Cyprus100, and various other of the very few regulars left on here work for the particular travel company being complained about.

We all must have 20 jobs as so many company's are subject to complaints, do they think we work for them all ? .

On another forum I post on, it's a well known fact I am employed by every OTA and tour operator in the UK that has ever received a complaint. I must be soooo marvellous, with there being only 24 hours in a day :rofl :rofl
Sunaddict wrote:
doe wrote:

We all must have 20 jobs as so many company's are subject to complaints, do they think we work for them all ? .

On another forum I post on, it's a well known fact I am employed by every OTA and tour operator in the UK that has ever received a complaint. I must be soooo marvellous, with there being only 24 hours in a day :rofl :rofl

I've seen the work you do on the 'other forum' Sunaddict and to be honest I take my hat off to you and the few others that support you.

You all have the patience of saints and I do not know how you do it, hopefully you get your reward from the few people who actually remain civil and are grateful for the help you give, rather than all those who give you abuse, and accuse you of working for every single airline, shonky OTA and screen scraper around :rofl You must be superwoman working for 1001 companies :rofl
doe wrote:
Sunaddict wrote:
doe wrote:

I've seen the work you do on the 'other forum' Sunaddict and to be honest I take my hat off to you and the few others that support you.

You all have the patience of saints and I do not know how you do it, hopefully you get your reward from the few people who actually remain civil and are grateful for the help you give, rather than all those who give you abuse, and accuse you of working for every single airline, shonky OTA and screen scraper around :rofl You must be superwoman working for 1001 companies :rofl

Thank you kindly :)

Unfortunately until people actually start to read terms and conditions before just agreeing to them, complaints will just increase. I know lot's of people are on tight budgets, but just booking on price is a recipe for disaster IMO. As you are probably aware I dislike the shonky OTAs, and we seem to have a prevalence of them, but I hate when people rip into companies for things they agreed to let them do.
I agree. It's very difficult as many complainants don't seem to understand the concept that they are booking three separate elements of a holiday, 90% of complaints seem to be when one of the elements fail, or they fail to notice the site isn't using live flight prices.

Although I talk of them tongue in cheek, if people actually understand what they are booking then I think OTA's have a place; I guess for accommodation only bookings you can get a good deal as well as they seem to secure great discounts over rack rates, provided you accept that on the odd occasion when there is overbooking the accommodation will prioritise their direct booker and bump the OTA booker.

FWH did a good post on here about OTA's but none of the complainants seem to read it, by the time they get here they just want to rant really :duh which gets you back to the subject of manners which is what the post is about.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.