Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Welcome to the forums and you will get lots of info here and the best thing to do is read read read.

I will answer one question though and leave the rest to the other members.

Im a bit worried about my daughter, shes young and prettey, not really bothered with boys yet but will I need to keep my eyes on her all the time I keep reading how the turkish men leer at and try to entice prettey english girls.

Why do you think that Turkish men are trying to entice young girls.

When you say she is not interested in boys yet it infers that she is very young as in a not a teenager so it looks like that you are asking are Turkish men perverts.

Whatever you have heard about Turkish men I would take with a pinch of salt as in MY own experience it is the women that go to Turkey that do all the leering and enticing.

Anyway sorry if it looks like I am having a go at you as I am not but these myths really need quashing once and for all

John
Hi freespirit and welcome to HT, whilst I am unable to help you with your resort, I can point you in the right direction about your Hotel. Go to the top of the Forum, click on Hotel Reviews, click on Turkey and scroll down to your Hotel, I have had a look and it is all good, so go and have a read !! If I am not mistaken, If you scroll back to October 9th, 2007 you will find a six page Discussion on Side. Speaking as a couple we take £100 in Turkish Lira to get us started and take the rest in Sterling. Should you go haggling on the local market, sterling is a good bartering tool. No doubt, someone who is in a family will be able to better advise you on travellers cheques.

With regards to your daughter, if she is the 14 year old and there are some young boys hanging about the Hotel, then I would say keep an eye out. Turkish MEN like the older English Lady but as John said, it is more the English Ladies flirting with the waiters. Should you go to a restaurant you will find that the waiters will idolise your children and be genuinely friendly. The Turkish people are a wonderful race so make sure you take time to speak to them, they are genuinely interested in what you have to say as well as practicing their English on you.

Les
Hi
Can't help with the resort , but as someone who has been to Turkey on several occasions with my blond, blue eyed daughters , currently 12 and 14 I have to say in my experience I have not felt any more concern than I do at home. Yes there has been some gentle flirting with the eldest (who looks as they all seem to do much older)but nothing that made her or me uncomfortable.
As for money I take around 50 in lira, some sterling and my debit card (making sure the bank knows so they do not cancel it as they some times suspect f raud)
Lally
Across the road from the Arum is a small parade of shops,bars and restaurants.There is also a travel agency where you will find the trips a lot less than the tour operator.I havent used these but I went to Cappadocia with another local company in Side for 1/3 of whet the rep was charging and we had an extra night.I have always used local companies in other resorts in Turkey and they are fine.I find Side less frantic than some resorts and it is more popular with other Europeans than British so I dont think your daughter will attract any adverse attention.I may be old fashioned but I always dress more modestly when I go into the town than in the hotel.3/4 trousers instead of shorts and t shirts instead of strappy tops.Some people will claim this is not necessary but it may help you avoid unwanted attention.Its a lovely resort and you will want to go back!
Thankyou all so much for the information posted it has been most helpful. And yes my daughter is the 14 year old but I do feel more reassured about it now. I was just a little concerned as I havn't been abroad for 20 years and will be on my own with my children, its all quite daunting but promised the kids they would have a holiday abroad this year. I will definately take the advise on using a local place to book any excursions.
Thanks again.

freespirit
The Arum is owned by the Barut chain, the same as the Hemera and the Lara hotel, both of which everybody seems to rave about! So I am sure it will be brilliant too. I shouldn't worry about going out of the hotel in the evenings. They will do a show for you to watch, which I'm sure the children will enjoy. Have you seen the website http://www.baruthotels.com.tr/eng/arum/index.html ?
thanks, no I hadn't seen that website it gives a better picture of the place than the travel company show, looks really nice, I want all the treatments on the spa list but think that may take up all my spending money! really looking forward to it now.
Its nice that everyone who actually knows Turkey and its resorts really know what I meant and as I said did help this person.

John
freespirit
I assume you are female? I am a middle aged mother and holiday with just my children so know what you are thinking. I agree with Jay - if you don't go looking for "unwanted" attention then you don't get it.
The Turks we have met have been friendly, chatty and interested in finding out about us as a family. some have asked "where is the man?" and rather than give my life story or marital status I just say he is at home working!!
Enjoy your holiday
I have heard the Arum is getting a refurb over the winter.
Hi Freespirit
I hope you have a wonderful holiday. I don't think anyone has mentioned travellers cheques. Commission on these in Turkey can be very high so I would advise against them. I always take about YTL100, some sterling and my debit card. ATM's are easily found but as has been mentioned you need to inform your bank just in case. Even though I regularly use mine in Turkey they still sometimes refuse to pay out and when I have phoned them they say it's because of unusual spending. It's easy to change sterling just watch the rate you are given if you don't use a bank. You tend to get a little less at money changers but you don't have the queue that you often find in a bank.
Turkish men/boys are the same as any the world over, maybe a tad more charming. If you don't send out the signals they won't respond.
You will indeed enjoy the Arum. I dislike hotels but do have a sneaking affection for the place and have stayed there twice. It is friendly, comfortable and right on the beach. They do have facilities like 2 outdoor and one indoor pool, a gym (not for me), putting green and evening entertainment. They even do Turkish language lessons if you wish. The food is self service buffet with a huge choice. They even have Antiqua wine which is an experience.
We did try and get there again last year (64 of us!) but they couldn't fit us in because the Hemera mob were using it while the refurb was in progress but will certainly return.
hi all

on the attention front we had a laugh last yr in marmaris my hubby only has to read weather report to get a tan, when we left our hotel all the turkish people was talking to him in turkish expecting him to understand them, when he looked at them and spoke in a english acsent they looked stunned, asking him his age they said his mum must have visited turkey 41 years before as he looked like there uncle or brother, it was so funny we never got any hassle we just had a really good laugh.
oh and our little girl was only 4 at the time and we never paid for one meal for her and we ate out every day sometimes twice a day.

enjoy ya hols and chill.

pam xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.