Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
My few pees worth.

Mid-May weatherwise we expect to be in the high 60's - low 70's which is no too bad I hope. We do get rain and and stuff at that time of year but not a great deal. The sun is stronger than you think, but I reckon you would get more of a red nose than a gorgeous tan in just seven days. It is often quite windy - it is blowing half a gale as I write.

As you are staying in Vale de Parra you have the massive sandy beach at Gale just a mile or so up the road. Turn left at Gale and along that road are signposts to several smaller beaches (coves) but be aware that most of them are accessible only by long flights of steps once you park up..

The sea is generally safe but be sensible as there are no lifeguards until June. Beware the tides, which are pretty fierce in some areas.

Mid-May is off season, so most places will be fairly quiet in terms of people. However many bars and restaurants will be open, gearing up for the main holiday season. Some of those down on the beaches are open but some are not.

Where to eat on a budget? Sorry cannot really help there as I don't go to the Vale de Parra/Gale area at all often.

Hope that helps anyway and enjoy your trip. I am sure others will weight in with some words of wisdom.
Don't know about on a budget but the Jompra, Museu de Salgados, Prima Pasta(or whatever its called this weather) and the O'Barco are all restaurants I have had plenty of good meals in and are all in Vale de Para...........more or less.

Or drive 5 mins to Guia for more choice.

Lummie
Not been for a year or so but the restaurant A Casa do Avo on the route from Guia to Vale Do Parra used to do a good quality three course meal for 15 euro per head, authentic Portuguese fare.

For a reasonable price meal we'ed go to Ramirez in Guia for Chicken Piri Piri.

Have been to Vale Do Parra a few times in May, and it is fairly quiet as its an area with many villas most of which are not occupied at this time. However there is easy access to many good beaches most with facilities. There's enough resturants around to keep you happy for a week. For a bit more life its a short drive to Albufeira
Thanks for all your help guys it as been much appreciated.

Sweet x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.